Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Violently wiggling the wheel is ignored. It takes firm steady torque to clear the nag. I'm not sure what one is hoping to accomplish by doing what the driver is doing in the video.

That is the extremeness of it. It requires more torque / force than that shown to clear the nag. It is pretty ridiculous

The first wiggle would cancle the nag if that weren’t the case.

Last edited:
Agreed - the update was over 1GB in size and they're pushing it over LTE which means there's SOMETHING big in it, plus they're obviously eager for all to have it (even though my AP2 S60 on WiFi hasn't yet gotten it!). I'd bet there are some hidden FSD test features in there, not for us but for rather for them to test (and for @BigD0g and @verygreen to hack and uncover)!

I think it's simply they want increased nags to everyone as quickly as possible because of the bad press. But what the heck do I know about Tesla's motives.

I would consider this quite ridiculous:

I think you should contact service for this, and include your video. This is not okay....what's more is that if you are ever in an accident, Tesla's logs (which are often interpreted as facts in investigations) will show that you did not have your hands on the wheel. You obviously have your hands on the wheel. Not canceling the warning with this amount of torque is unbelievable.

Anecdotally, I've been reading about NTSB interpretations of the logs from Tesla accidents. The thought has occurred to me on multiple occasions that I should install a Pano-roof mounted driver cam that shows my interactions with the car at all times. I always keep my hands on the wheel when using autopilot -- but frequently get "place hands on wheel" warning. I understand the "torque" requirement that is used to detect the presence of your hands on the wheel, but the binary interpretation by the NTSB can be very misleading.

I'm left wondering if my car believes that I don't have my hands on the wheel, when in fact I am staring at the road and do have my hands on the wheel at all times.

I'm starting to think that Tesla's logs may actually not tell the whole story. @boonedocks video is precisely what I fear would happen. If he were in an accident, I bet his car's log would claim that his hands weren't on the wheel, and he could face a lawsuit for failing to pay attention to the road. I get that Tesla is covering their butts, but what about us?

My autopilot got disabled on me the first time in 2 years while driving my daily route today. I am tall so when I hold the steering wheel my wrist sits on my knees which is the most comfortable position for me. Unfortunately the nag still comes on, and with my seating position I never see the top of the driver screen to notice the flashing alert until the buzzer goes off. Eventually the autopilot will disable as I am keying off the sound alerts.

This is a problem as I am compliant holding the wheel in the most comfortable position but the car begins nagging every 25 secs.
I need an opt out of the nagging (and yes I accept full responsibility as a driver) or a revert back of firmware. Becasue if I can, I would do it. I already told 4 other tesla owners at work not to install the update.

I also cannot see the flashing due to my height and seat/wheel configuration. I also rest my hands on the wheel and it doesn't detect it but I have limited experience with this firmware. Hopefully Tesla changes course with consistent customer feedback and a better functioning system.

Reactions: MIT_S60
I don't think I'm going to install this one. Lets see if they force it on me anyway.

Wow, me neither. Yikes, this looks bad.

I get Tesla pushing out these drastic changes like this... but what would be nice is a one-page white paper like press-release that goes into detail as to WHY they changed it this way, with data and charts to back it up.

Otherwise, it's just a huge black box and we don't know if it's just not enough beta-testing (like the smaller alert signal-WTAF?) or they fully intended these changes to be like this.

This 'zero-communication' policy has got to stop, NOW.

All the extra nags are the Enhanced part of Enhanced Auto Pilot. Enjoy. LOL

In all seriousness, I would not be surprised if the Feds strongly encouraged Tesla to be more forceful on demanding hands on the wheel after the recent crashes where Auto Pilot was engaged and idiots can't follow instructions which clearly state pay attention. This is why we can't have nice things...

In reading through the posts since this version’s rollout, it is clear there’s a division in experiences with the new AP. To call owner reports “whining” seems pretty condescending when there has been such a change from prior AP behavior, particularly for folks that drive safely with one or two hands always on the wheel (my case).

Solving this with various grocery items seems awkward. For those that the one handed 8 o’clock technique works, count yourselves lucky. A hardware issue may be in play for those where that isn’t working (my case).

It is helpful to hear that our experiences are valid/shared as we try to provide info to others through these posts. Ultimately we want the same thing here. Reliable, safe and produce-free autopilot behavior.

I agree, that this change was likely precipitated by inattentive drivers and NTSB advising Tesla to increase warning frequency. However, if the visual warnings are not visible based on your body height / seat position, it's a problem.

I posted earlier today in response to @boonedocks video. This video is troublesome because hands-on-wheel detection appears to be functioning improperly. I asserted in that comment that I'm worried about lawsuits from accidents where the logs are used against owners. Since I posted that, I've actually had second thoughts about it. As drivers, we are 100% responsible for the vehicle regardless if it is in autopilot mode or not. If I get in an accident and Tesla's logs claim that my hands weren't on the wheel, it doesn't matter. If I'm at fault, I'm at fault.

They need better attorneys. The data should speak louder than headlines. Tesla needed to stay engaged in the regulatory investigation rather than hack off on the owners. The preliminary report in the California accident emphasized the same points as Tesla but came out only after everything blew over. Tesla overreacted to some bad press their fans were primed to ignore and everyone else wouldn't read.

I have a short commute but didn't notice any change in nags so far.

Did anyone notice a change in braking and acceleration? My car seemed to acceleration a lot faster and brake a lot harder than necessary.

Could it be possible we all got the same version but they are testing various changes with different drivers? Maybe some get more nags, some get fewer, some get faster braking and acceleration?

Reactions: chwall P90DL
I haven't read all of the replies, but thought I'd add my thoughts on this update:
  • Visual nag is harder to see. I find it very strange they reduced the level of visual alert
  • I get nagged around every 20 seconds or so. This is going 80mph. It seems more speed sensitive than before, driving slower decreases nag frequency quite a bit.
  • I feel like the #1 following distance setting is now further back. I could be wrong, but it seems like it.
  • The cars in adjacent lanes makes the display busier but doesn't provide useful info. Once side cameras are involved it could be very useful for blind spot detection.
  • The exit lane deceleration seems to work, but doesn't seem overly useful yet. I hope it is an incremental part of a bigger update
Overall, if I had the choice, I would go back to the previous version.

Last edited:
Evidently, the E in EAP was tired of being silent and decided to manifest itself in the form of more nags. Just installed 21.9 and... urf.

Those aside, I empathize with the poster above and appeal to everyone’s sense of not AP, not silent-E EAP, but the new APPPP - Auto Produce Preservation Pilot Program.

Or if you prefer, “Save an Orange for JAY-suss!” (declared in best Sunday revival tent voice)

I guess this is what we get until the advent of those heady days of L4...

• Funny
Reactions: chwall P90DL