Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally got this one today, coming from 2018.18.2. Went for a drive, and I really didn't notice much of a difference with the nag. It might pop up a little sooner if my hands are off the wheel, but when I drove normally I didn't notice any difference (right elbow on the center armrest, hand around 4 o'clock, letting it weigh down slightly on the wheel). Few other things:

- It did seem like AS was a little skittish when crossing wide intersections and certain areas where lane markings go away for a brief spot
- A comparison of what's returned from the /data endpoint showed no differences from 2018.18.2
- The first time I reversed after the update, the camera displayed a gray screen :(
- And I finally caught video of this craziness that I get a lot on the new nav when entering/exiting highways. Watch the IC at about 20 seconds

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MattMatt
0E07AA52-16B3-46C2-BBA6-7BE7ADFBFEA0.jpeg
Got 21.9 the other day. Today I noticed this “Keep Climate On” option at the bottom. Is this new or did it show up in an earlier update?

I found the off ramp deceleration feature to be fairly good - but not consistent in the speed it chooses. I've also noticed on AP2 / TACC that the car slows down on the freeway when going under tunnels, or on sweeping curves, even though the posted speed limit didn't change - almost like an electronic nanny telling me to slow down for the slight curve or darker tunnel. I've also had the car slow down dramatically when passing an off-ramp, with the AP2 / TACC blue speed circle showing a reduced speed that remains long after passing the off-ramp. This is not good. I don't want the car reducing my speed when there is no safety issue involved - in fact, it's very dangerous having the TACC slow the vehicle on the freeway just for driving by the off-ramp.

AP2 seems to have slight degraded again - disconnecting in areas it was working fine before this update. So, aside from the additional vehicles in side lanes being displayed, This update gets a thumbs down from me...but it does show some promise by introducing some new features not used before...so I guess I just have to wait for the next update lol

Just got the update tonight and then headed out to the airport to pick someone up which gave me a chance to test it. Over the past almost 3 years since I got my Model S I've been a huge supporter and promoter of Tesla and really loved the car. I really only use auto pilot on the highway but I've been up and down the east coast from MA to FL a bunch of times almost 100% on auto pilot and its been an amazing experience. I always keep my eyes on the road but my hands are normally on my lap but able to take over in a moments notice as I am watching the road. I actually feel more safe with my hands there rather then on the wheel where I may bump it too much and screw up the auto pilot.

With this new update it seems like I need to actually watch the road less and watch the dash more to field off the stupid nags every 30 seconds. I wonder how long it will be before someone has an accident because they're eyes are watching for nags instead of bad drivers.

Please Telsa, 30 seconds is stupid and unsafe. At the very least reward me for dismissing the nag within milliseconds and don't show me another one for a few minutes like before!

I have a much harder time with physical arm fatigue / pain when trying to keep a grip on the steering wheel and NOT actually doing the steering, as is the case with AP2 (and AP1). I never take my eyes off the road when using driver assist features, but it would be nice to be able to sense something other than physical pressure / position to eliminate the nags. Cadillac's iris tracker makes more sense to me)

Does anyone else find it more physically fatiguing to "fake steer - hands on the wheel" with AP on compared to really steering with a normal grip ???

I have a much harder time with physical arm fatigue / pain when trying to keep a grip on the steering wheel and NOT actually doing the steering, as is the case with AP2 (and AP1). I never take my eyes off the road when using driver assist features, but it would be nice to be able to sense something other than physical pressure / position to eliminate the nags. Cadillac's iris tracker makes more sense to me)

Does anyone else find it more physically fatiguing to "fake steer - hands on the wheel" with AP on compared to really steering with a normal grip ???

Yes exactly! It causes extra fatigue for me because I have to hover over the wheel basically because I don't want to press too hard and mess auto pilot up (i.e. having my hand rest there and when its trying to turn my arms resting on it disengage it and cause an accident.)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

Yes exactly! It causes extra fatigue for me because I have to hover over the wheel basically because I don't want to press too hard and mess auto pilot up (i.e. having my hand rest there and when its trying to turn my arms resting on it disengage it and cause an accident.)

Well said and well said.

AP2’s nagging relative to AP1 has been, to be kind, suboptimal. I *never* lost AS with AP1 and now, it can be a frequent occurrence, which then necessitates pulling over, selecting Park, selecting Drive, and then merging back into traffic. And that’s best case. So lame.

A vibration and/or chime (AP1 alerts) is far more effective than the IC flashing (AP2 nagging).

And now the nagging is worse with 21.9. Well, that’s just craptastic.

Tangentially, not sure what all the excitement is over off ramp speed management. That’s been, depending upon how you look at it, a feature or a bug for some time now.

I view the last few updates pretty much how I expect to view the next few between now and early November (the advent of v9.1, perhaps). Incremental at best, 2 steps forward and 1 step back at worst.

Should be an interesting 6 months, replete with promise and potential. In particular, we should get some more tidbits about v3 supercharging *and* maybe some visibility into the timeframe for Tesla’s SoC. It is this latter component that I view as a key dependency for any kind of practical FSD. Beyond mapping and comm, even, which are of course also necessary.

Reactions: chwall P90DL
Turning the visual warnings less visible than before on the ICU is probably not just an error of appreciation.

Most folks are thinking this is stupid, and that they should on the contrary make it more visible so people see them and take back control of the car / hold the steering wheel... but see it the other way around:

If the visible warnings are less visible, they might get missed by the driver. Which means the car could automatically disengage AP sooner than before. And that's maybe what they actually want, so in case of a crash they'll be able to say: "AP wasn't engaged at the moment of impact".

And, more generally: the sooner the car disengage AP if it doesn't feel human interaction, the more Tesla can't be held responsible in case of a crash.

Turning the visual warnings less visible than before on the ICU is probably not just an error of appreciation.

Most folks are thinking this is stupid, and that they should on the contrary make it more visible so people see them and take back control of the car / hold the steering wheel... but see it the other way around:

If the visible warnings are less visible, they might get missed by the driver. Which means the car could automatically disengage AP sooner than before. And that's maybe what they actually want, so in case of a crash they'll be able to say: "AP wasn't engaged at the moment of impact".

And, more generally: the sooner the car disengage AP if it doesn't feel human interaction, the more Tesla can't be held responsible in case of a crash.

If you ignore the warnings, it brings the car to a stop. Until it's stopped, AP is still engaged.

So I've driven in this. It's more nervous than it's been in a while, it sped up and slowed down a couple of times in traffic with the car in front not changing speed. It also braked a bit going into a dip and over a crest where previously it would not. It tried to duck into a side street briefly but not in a big lunging way; it corrected itself immediately. Finally in a 10 minute drive in an urban area (I always use AP everywhere) I got two audible warnings despite holding the steering wheel with both hands at the time - it has never escalated to that level before I've noticed it. It seemed to happen when things got busy on the road in front of me; perhaps it was less sure of what to do. Not nice...
Also it does not accelerate any faster, alas - it still has that glacial take off at traffic lights behind the lead car that still drives me nuts. I hit the accelerator like I always do to speed it up but even that has been damped down now to a slower pace where previously hitting the accelerator would make it take off nice and briskly.

I am surprised that slowing on off-ramps was not implemented on AP1. There should be no technical reason this can't be implemented on AP1. It should be entirely dependent on map tile data and not at all dependent on AP2 hardware.
I think that the implementation in AP1 depends on AP2 becoming way better than AP1 otherwise AP2 will continue to struggle for parity. Supposedly there was an AP1 update talked about a few years ago with this feature but it was delayed with the introduction of AP2 and it's comparatively poor abilities at that time