Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just realized that the release notes for this new update aren't the same here than what some of you people had.

More precisely, apparently the on/off-ramp feature isn't listed in the release notes here in Belgium (and possibly in Europe). :(

Same here in Czech. So whole Europe...

PS: It's quite interesting how a car behaves differently in different countries. And no, I don't mean just difference between EU and US, but there are some differences between Czech and Germany for example...

I'm eagerly waiting for the updated Nav. Are you really 100% sure that a Belgian owner with a MCU1 car got the update? Not that I don't believe you, but this is the first I heard of :) Hope it starts to be pushed out soon!

Regarding 21.9 version I think it is awesome on my AP2.5 car. I usually rest a few fingers on the steering wheel when driving and previous versions gave me nags from time to time. Yesterday after having installed 21.9 I successfully drove for 40 minutes on the motorway without having a single nag. This was not possible with previous versions.
We got yesterday the first Nav update in Switzerland .

I just realized that the release notes for this new update aren't the same here than what some of you people had.

More precisely, apparently the on/off-ramp feature isn't listed in the release notes here in Belgium (and possibly in Europe). :(
Are you AP1 or AP2? AP1 didn't get the off-ramp feature, although there is no technical reason why AP1 can't support it.

Reactions: jkennebeck
No, no, no... [drops face into hands]

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11
When I say pressure I don’t mean grip, I mean resistance. I shouldn’t have to put more resistance on the wheel just to stop it nagging at me.

Oh and today it decided to swerve when it saw a speed camera, naturally it wasn’t due to the speed camera but not great looking like a drunk driver having to take over from AP

Last edited:
Don't know if Tesla is going to tweak the algorithm for sensing "hands on wheel", hopefully so OR will they pull a full on "Apple-Gate".....You are holding your phone wrong and that's why it doesn't work!!!!

They have an unfixable design flaw but they will never admit it. They will try to smooth it over as well as they can, forcing drivers into the less safe option of having only one hand on the wheel instead of two, because the torque sensor can't detect two hands on the wheel because each hand cancels out the torque of the other.

I wonder if they will start doing eye tracking with the cabin-facing camera in the M3. I also wonder if they will be held liable for a person who gets into an accident with one hand resting on the wheel because suddenly autopilot jerked the wheel at 80mph and one hand wasn't enough to regain control. (Not a chance of that lawsuit being proven, I think they're safe. Too bad we're all less safe...)

I'm waiting for the day that Tesla officially states that you have to have only one hand on the wheel to overcome the nags! Of course they won't. Watch, their public statements on the matter will be very carefully worded to avoid recommending one hand on the wheel, even though that's the only option that makes Autopilot worth engaging at all.

Edit, to clarify about Autopilot being worth engaging at all: I mean that if I have to constantly "move the wheel up and down" as Elon tweeted, it is not worth engaging Autosteer. Autosteer would totally be worth engaging if I could simply keep both hands on the wheel passively (until it became necessary to be active), but the torque sensor can't detect this, so you have to have one hand on the wheel passively, or two hands actively. One hand passive is less safe, two hands active makes Autosteer completely pointless.

BTW, whenever I read the articles about a crash and Tesla comes out proclaiming that "hands were not detected on the wheel for 6 seconds leading up to the crash", I think about my own experience of having my hands on the wheel constantly but still getting nagged -- just because Tesla did not detect hands on the wheel leading up to the crash does not mean hands were not on the wheel. Not detected for 6 seconds tells me hands were probably on the wheel but undetected. Not detected for 60 seconds is a different story.

First drive today with this one, the frankly worthless display of cars in adjacent lanes on the IC doesn't begin to make up for the amped up tech nanny on steroids.

Unlike others I've noticed no difference in the amount of torque necessary to dismiss a nag. My "usual" AP driving position of hooking my left thumb over the wheel at about 7:00 on straight, flat freeway produced a frankly ridiculous number of nags over a 25 mile drive.

It's hard to view this as anything other than CYA "safety theater" at the actual expense of safety. I'm far more likely to just leave the stupid thing off at this point and continue to get more bitter about being taken for $5,000.

Autopilot buddy, here I come. This will surely backfire as a safety measure. Most people will be driven to use autopilot buddy to get rid of the nags once and for all. Some will simply never use Autopilot, except in very limited circumstances. This is a VERY bad move. I hope Tesla will realize that.

:D

dims

No. Dual motor though.
what I have noticed is that the moment is WHEN, regen kicks in.
Meaning - if you are above a certain speed, it tries to feather the amount so as to not create a sudden braking effect.
It does get increasingly stronger as you approach a complete braking event though.
I try to anticipate this and let off the accelerator at different lengths from the braking point.
Otherwise you are whip sawing the passengers :)