Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another 136 mile day and the nags are just incredibly frustrating. I have to literally drive for A/P, using more force / resistance / torque , than if I was steering myself. This is what is so frustrating. I have never had to literally babysit AutoPilot... just be there in the background holding the wheel. Now I am having to steer more than it does. Just ridiculous..
Others are reporting rebooting everything. IC, MCU, Power Off car for 3-5 minutes solves the problem with "while holding the steering properly" you still get the nags. A very slight resistance is all that should be required. What you are describing should not be happening. Give it a try. What can it hurt. If still an issue contact Tesla SC.

Looking forward to the next handful of updates that will undo this latest wretched development*.

21.9 - one step forward, two steps back.

Looking forward even more to stop sign reaction, except.... reality. Aka exactly nothing lately supports the arrival of this vaunted feature before 2020 or so (post SoC and such). Not exactly all atwitter about “auto lane change” or “freeway merge”, whatever those end up being.

* That would be the excessive nagging for those who seem to need context every couple of posts.

Others are reporting rebooting everything. IC, MCU, Power Off car for 3-5 minutes solves the problem with "while holding the steering properly" you still get the nags. A very slight resistance is all that should be required. What you are describing should not be happening. Give it a try. What can it hurt. If still an issue contact Tesla SC.

Well I am a sucker for a reboot o_O Doing all 3 and will see how tomorrow’s commute goes.

Last edited:
I would like to attempt to explain exactly how slowing down at off ramps is accomplished in 2018.21.9 based on what I experienced during my last drive.

Driving on Highway in Autopilot.

Speed limit 60mph.

Max Speed automatically set to 62

(+2 mph offset)

Disengaged autosteer when turning wheel at freeway exit. TACC still engaged.

Max still 62.

As I proceeded down the off ramp max changed to 60.

Then it dropped to 55, then 50, 45, 40, 35 and finally 30.

Your statement that I highlighted below about people having issues with the nags because they are doing something wrong is false. I'm really glad that it works awesome for you but there are others it doesn't work so awesome for and making a sweeping claim that it's just because people are doing stuff wrong is ridiculous.

You are supposed to hold a steering wheel with two hands, one at 9, one at 3. (10 and 2 went out with airbags). The way that AP senses your hands on the wheel means it's generally more difficult to hold the wheel that way and avoid bogus nags. The easiest way to avoid nags in my experience is with a single hand on the wheel near the bottom which is definitely not good driving technique.

It's a bit better with this new release despite the reduced time interval before a nag which clearly shows that they have optimization to do. I wish that Tesla had decided to do some sort of touch sensors rather than torque alone. I hope that they continue to improve things.

This whole thing about the nags and holding the steering wheel is beginning to bother me. Since I got the update (2days ago) I've only done about 100 miles on AP2, with one nag. I hold the wheel and make sure that I slightly resist the wheel when it wants to turn. Doesn't seem to be to be a big thing. So I don't understand all these reported problems and folks who don't want to use this release. The actual performance is better than it was. And all this stuff about oranges etc to hack the system---every accident caused by someone hacking and/or ignoring the system is feeding into the MSM hysteria about Tesla and autopilot, and may end up causing a regulatory slow down or prohibition of FSD. Use the system as intended and accept the limits. The nags being complained about now are due to those who chose to hack/ignore the system prompts to do what they were supposed to be doing all along, and the subsequent MSM headlines about Tesla's Autopilot causing another accident/death.

While seeing the cars in adjacent lanes is sort of interesting it's still clearly inferior to what AP1 does (based on loaners I've used). It also makes cars seem much farther ahead of you than they really are - it seems like they should shift the image of our car forward a little to make it line up better and then that would leave room to show cars behind you. Because it seems more useful to see cars you can't see as well rather than the ones you can see just fine.

While seeing the cars in adjacent lanes is sort of interesting it's still clearly inferior to what AP1 does (based on loaners I've used). It also makes cars seem much farther ahead of you than they really are - it seems like they should shift the image of our car forward a little to make it line up better and then that would leave room to show cars behind you. Because it seems more useful to see cars you can't see as well rather than the ones you can see just fine.
While it may show them further than they are, it is surprisingly accurate on the relative distance between each other. Much better than AP1 would do. Says to me they are getting the relative, if not absolute, distances down pretty well with vision as it seems just as accurate when it has to handoff between vision and radar due to FOV.

Reactions: jrad6515 and croman
First drive today with this one, the frankly worthless display of cars in adjacent lanes on the IC doesn't begin to make up for the amped up tech nanny on steroids.

Unlike others I've noticed no difference in the amount of torque necessary to dismiss a nag. My "usual" AP driving position of hooking my left thumb over the wheel at about 7:00 on straight, flat freeway produced a frankly ridiculous number of nags over a 25 mile drive.

It's hard to view this as anything other than CYA "safety theater" at the actual expense of safety. I'm far more likely to just leave the stupid thing off at this point and continue to get more bitter about being taken for $5,000.

Has anyone with AP2+ had an opportunity to drive with a double white line between them and the cars in the adjacent lane? This is a part of my regular commute: Google Maps

When I'm in the far left lane, it doesn't show the cars to the right. It's not an issue, it's just weird. The whole display of the additional cards is spotty at best. I watch them blink in and out of existence while sitting at a stop light. The most fun was watching a car very slowly slide out of my lane and into the lane to my left.

Now that I have a couple days of driving on this release, I'm not terribly impressed. I personally don't care about the nags since I'm pretty good at keeping her from nagging me (yes, I'm still talking about the car!). My real issue is it diving for turning/exit lanes. It's never been perfect, but I do find myself having to make more significant corrections more often on this version.

Oh well, it's all cyclic anyways. We'll likely be complaining about something different next week!

Your statement that I highlighted below about people having issues with the nags because they are doing something wrong is false. I'm really glad that it works awesome for you but there are others it doesn't work so awesome for and making a sweeping claim that it's just because people are doing stuff wrong is ridiculous.

You are supposed to hold a steering wheel with two hands, one at 9, one at 3. (10 and 2 went out with airbags). The way that AP senses your hands on the wheel means it's generally more difficult to hold the wheel that way and avoid bogus nags. The easiest way to avoid nags in my experience is with a single hand on the wheel near the bottom which is definitely not good driving technique.

It's a bit better with this new release despite the reduced time interval before a nag which clearly shows that they have optimization to do. I wish that Tesla had decided to do some sort of touch sensors rather than torque alone. I hope that they continue to improve things.
Assuming you do not think we are all just lying to you that many people are not having a problem but you are (and some others). If I were you I would really really want to know why I am others are singled out. Anyway, others in your boat have found out that a REBOOT of everything (IC, MCU, Power Off and wait) may solve the problem while properly having hand(s) on the wheel does not eliminate the nag. If you did that and it does not help I would strongly suggest you have Tesla SC check out your car because many many of us are simply are not having the problem.

Regarding using 2 hands vs. 1. It does not matter as long as you use the same kind of resistance that you do with only one hand. I usually use one hand on either 4/5 or 7/8 but sometimes I rest both hands on 5 and 7 just because it is comfortable. But since I know what the movement is (and it is second nature) it does not matter. Seriously, it is just a slight movement of the steering wheel that eliminates the nags. Good luck in resolving this issue.

While it may show them further than they are, it is surprisingly accurate on the relative distance between each other. Much better than AP1 would do. Says to me they are getting the relative, if not absolute, distances down pretty well with vision as it seems just as accurate when it has to handoff between vision and radar due to FOV.
It’s also more likely to be accurate about relative positions of adjacent cars too. It attempts to show them off center if they are. It isn’t exactly accurate yet but AP1 pretty much lies and shows cars smoothly moving on rails, and if they come into your lane the screen’s reaction to that is somewhat late.

It’s more just neat seeing what AP2’s vision system currently sees.

So I finally got this one today, coming from 2018.18.2. Went for a drive, and I really didn't notice much of a difference with the nag. It might pop up a little sooner if my hands are off the wheel, but when I drove normally I didn't notice any difference (right elbow on the center armrest, hand around 4 o'clock, letting it weigh down slightly on the wheel). Few other things:

- It did seem like AS was a little skittish when crossing wide intersections and certain areas where lane markings go away for a brief spot
- A comparison of what's returned from the /data endpoint showed no differences from 2018.18.2
- The first time I reversed after the update, the camera displayed a gray screen :(
- And I finally caught video of this craziness that I get a lot on the new nav when entering/exiting highways. Watch the IC at about 20 seconds

I have spinning map too

MS with AP1 here. After listening to everyone, including you guys, I have not pulled the trigger to update the firmware. I am fine with how it works now and don't need more "nagging" AP1 shows cars in adjacent lanes just fine. I usually am eager to check out the latest firmware version. But not this time.

Reactions: headcase
That has been one rapid set of installs.
HXn2SLo.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I got my update yesterday and I went for a quick drive today.

The stuff that I like the most about this update - and I don't think I've read anyone talking about it yet - is how my car now quickly shows new lead cars as soon as 1/10 of the car makes into my lane which essentially gives me the confidence that it is seeing them and will break / at on it if necessary. Before the car had to be at least 1/3 in my lane and I don't think they were marked as lead cars.

I've been observing the transition of cars into my lane or departing my lane and the new update is pretty damn fast at picking the correct lead car.

@SucreTease You misunderstood what I was trying to say. I am not getting pain in my arms from using increased pressure to grip the wheel; I am getting pain in my arms from "hovering" them gently on the wheel in case I need to take over control, but not gripping the wheel and steering, compared to normal driving where you grip the wheel with normal pressure and actually steering the vehicle. It's sort of similar to doing leg lifts when working out, where you abs become painful from holding up your legs just off the ground, as opposed to just laying your legs on the ground...I hope that makes sense...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I just realized that the release notes for this new update aren't the same here than what some of you people had.

More precisely, apparently the on/off-ramp feature isn't listed in the release notes here in Belgium (and possibly in Europe). :(