Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, at the :12 second mark, how did you cancel auto-steer but leave TACC enabled?

I'm not sure I've ever been able to do that.
I just override autosteer by manually changing lanes (forcing it). Do it all the time. For safety reasons it’s important that everyone is aware that any time you override auto-steer that you will remain in TACC.

I haven't read all of the replies, but thought I'd add my thoughts on this update:
  • Visual nag is harder to see. I find it very strange they reduced the level of visual alert
  • I get nagged around every 20 seconds or so. This is going 80mph. It seems more speed sensitive than before, driving slower decreases nag frequency quite a bit.
  • I feel like the #1 following distance setting is now further back. I could be wrong, but it seems like it.
  • The cars in adjacent lanes makes the display busier but doesn't provide useful info. Once side cameras are involved it could be very useful for blind spot detection.
  • The exit lane deceleration seems to work, but doesn't seem overly useful yet. I hope it is an incremental part of a bigger update
Overall, if I had the choice, I would go back to the previous version.

Updated to 2018.21.9 and got to drive it a bit today.

First thing I noticed is the follow distance. Seems further apart. I had to go to 1 closer to get it about where it was. I see Cartwright pointed this out - anyone else experience this?

FWIW, no issues with AP/nagging. Works for me.

I just override autosteer by manually changing lanes (forcing it). Do it all the time. For safety reasons it’s important that everyone is aware that any time you override auto-steer that you will remain in TACC.
true, and not widely-enough publicised, Daniellane
That is a little confusing to me because the dash very clearly this in two stages. Don't people pay attention.

AP and TACC:
bzWKxOA.jpg

AP initially disabled via steering override shows this TACC only not AP symbols at all:

dYtaSd9.jpg

Then it shows this TACC only and AP symbol grey (OFF):
Z6x072s.jpg

Is anyone else missing their Favorites logos? Mine are all blank since updating. I've tried rebooting and cycling through them but they are blank. Album art loads fine.
Yes. I was missing mine even before the 21.9 update. I was previously on 20. I'm missing my favorites regardless of AM, FM, Slacker. Deleting and re-favoriting the stations will temporarily bring the "logos" back but they will go away again. I mainly listen to Slacker and I've noticed that if I have the large album art visible with the Favorites along the bottom the logos are blank. If I tap on the Streaming button which brings up all the station choices, including my favorites, the logos are all correct.

I never said people are just lying about it working for them (which I think is what you were saying - the sentence was confusing). I’m glad that it works for people. That’s great. I simply said that statements like the one I quoted from another post claiming that people are having trouble because they are lying about properly holding the wheel were false.

My point about two hands on the wheel is that it’s the best way to be able to rapidly and appropriately deal with an issue while driving whether you are using autopilot or not.

It’s actually quite amusing how some people in this group find it necessary to take swipes at people who have a different experience than they do with the cars. The real test of technologies like autopilot is when it is able to recognize when people are properly paying attention and are ready to intervene and it also recognizes people that are gaming the system and fooling the sensors.

We clearly aren’t there yet. I’m sure tesla will do it eventually. I’m happy there is gradual forward progress as I noted in my post.

Assuming you do not think we are all just lying to you that many people are not having a problem but you are (and some others). If I were you I would really really want to know why I am others are singled out. Anyway, others in your boat have found out that a REBOOT of everything (IC, MCU, Power Off and wait) may solve the problem while properly having hand(s) on the wheel does not eliminate the nag. If you did that and it does not help I would strongly suggest you have Tesla SC check out your car because many many of us are simply are not having the problem.

Regarding using 2 hands vs. 1. It does not matter as long as you use the same kind of resistance that you do with only one hand. I usually use one hand on either 4/5 or 7/8 but sometimes I rest both hands on 5 and 7 just because it is comfortable. But since I know what the movement is (and it is second nature) it does not matter. Seriously, it is just a slight movement of the steering wheel that eliminates the nags. Good luck in resolving this issue.

Snip...

BTW, whenever I read the articles about a crash and Tesla comes out proclaiming that "hands were not detected on the wheel for 6 seconds leading up to the crash", I think about my own experience of having my hands on the wheel constantly but still getting nagged -- just because Tesla did not detect hands on the wheel leading up to the crash does not mean hands were not on the wheel. Not detected for 6 seconds tells me hands were probably on the wheel but undetected. Not detected for 60 seconds is a different story.

Yes - my thoughts exactly. I worry about being the person that had two hands on the wheel but the car didn’t think I did and then I wreck the car and they tell the world I had no hands on the wheel for xxx minutes before the crash. Really all they should say is that someone didn’t apply sufficient torque to the wheel for some time prior to the crash.

I wish that they had implemented a touch sensor rather than what they did. Hopefully they will leverage the internal camera at the very least to demonstrate hands on the wheel when they do a crash data dump.

Yes - my thoughts exactly. I worry about being the person that had two hands on the wheel but the car didn’t think I did and then I wreck the car and they tell the world I had no hands on the wheel for xxx minutes before the crash. Really all they should say is that someone didn’t apply sufficient torque to the wheel for some time prior to the crash.

I wish that they had implemented a touch sensor rather than what they did. Hopefully they will leverage the internal camera at the very least to demonstrate hands on the wheel when they do a crash data dump.

But to date, all of these publicized accidents had other clear evidence of inattentiveness — whether it’s driving towards a concrete barrier for a quarter mile with unobstructed view, or driving towards a semi truck for 8 seconds with unobstructed view, etc etc etc. The steering wheel narrative was just icing on the cake. There were plenty of other signs that indicated those drivers were behaving like they were paying no attention to the road.

I’ve not seen anyone saying that it takes too much force to cancel the nag. I’ve seen people say that they can’t understand why holding the wheel with both hands isn’t sufficient without having to periodically gently turn one way or the other on a straight stretch of highway. We want to avoid the nag at all. Because getting the nag despite holding with two hands means they will pull logs and tell the world we didn’t have hands on the wheel.

I will say that since the required torque appears reduced in this version at least when it disengages because I overshoot in my efforts to convince the car I’m holding the wheel the car doesn’t swerve a bit now. So that’s an improvement.

Just got back from a short run. At 50 MPH with AS on, I waited about 30 seconds for the lower box nag, and as soon as it popped up I used 1 (one) finger and placed it on top of the spoke at the 9 o’clock position with enough force to satisfy the nag. It was a light enough touch that the wheel did not noticeably deflect.

Certainly not suggesting people drive that way, it’s not safe, but it dispels the notion some have stated that it takes too much effort (force, pressure, whatever) to cancel the nag. FWIW.

True but the main story was the data about how long they didn’t have hands on the wheel. People take that information like the gospel.

AP has done enough squirrelly stuff to me that I wouldn’t dare trust it without hands on the wheel on the highway. On non highways I sometimes enable it for amusement purposes and completely don’t trust it.

The thought that I might get into a crash while on AP that had nothing to do with AP messing up but Tesla pulls logs and claims I didn’t have hands on the wheel worries me.

But to date, all of these publicized accidents had other clear evidence of inattentiveness — whether it’s driving towards a concrete barrier for a quarter mile with unobstructed view, or driving towards a semi truck for 8 seconds with unobstructed view, etc etc etc. The steering wheel narrative was just icing on the cake. There were plenty of other signs that indicated those drivers were behaving like they were paying no attention to the road.

Reactions: MIT_S60
AP1 and MCU1, obviously). For the way I hold the steering wheel while using auto-steer (left hand, little bit of tension next to the 6 o'clock spoke), I'm experiencing zero difference in the way auto-steer works, in limited testing over two days. It was OK before, and it's still OK now. Clearly some fraction of people who have updated are having issues, for various reasons...I get that. But from reading posts here I was halfway expecting AP to be unusable for me (leading one to question why I went ahead and installed the update anyway), and it was basically a no-op.

No change in regen for me either

+1

I think its all a nocebo effect.

upload_2018-6-14_8-7-27.png

I took 355 south to 80 East yesterday with full autopilot. It's always performed OK, but now it worked like a champ. Instead of AP2 seeing the turn and slowing down, it preemptively slowed down and took the turns at the proper speed. All in all, it was a pleasure to drive and seemed like the car just knew what to do.

Great job, Tesla!

I’ve not seen anyone saying that it takes too much force to cancel the nag. I’ve seen people say that they can’t understand why holding the wheel with both hands isn’t sufficient without having to periodically gently turn one way or the other on a straight stretch of highway. We want to avoid the nag at all. Because getting the nag despite holding with two hands means they will pull logs and tell the world we didn’t have hands on the wheel.

Far too many threads on this topic I guess.

Here's an example from a different thread that I thought was in this thread.

While I will agree the sensing method Tesla choose is not ideal, it is what we have today. Those who wish to just keep their hands anywhere but on the wheel must never have experienced shorts changing encounters on the highway at speed where milliseconds count in an avoidance maneuver.

There are credible reports though of people who have experience with other Tesla cars, who find their newer Tesla requiring more steering effort to either disengage AS, or to cancel the nag. @Az_Rael is one I'd believe in this post, given her history. It's quite possible Tesla has changed steering H/W at some point, or something inside the box has changed, such that it is not calibrated the same from those of us who do not have problems with sensing "hands on wheel." In that case, Tesla needs to check into the problem further and modify what triggers sensing.

If I get a chance, I'll shoot and post a video showing how little effort it takes to cancel the nag. If others can't duplicate this simple single finger nudge of the wheel, they need to open a service center call ASAP as something has changed.

So maybe I won't have to shoot a video. I didn't watch it earlier, but @fasteddie7 posted his findings in this thread, at least for his older AP1 Tesla. Hey Fast, have you compared it with the AP2 Tesla yet? My late 2016 Ap2 has no problem with canceling nags at all.