Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most experienced here reboot after a new install from what I've read over the years. I thought it was SOP, and was surprised you did not.

And I saw your violently wiggling the wheel the first time you posted it, and just SMH. I understand the frustration, but expecting that to register and cancel the nag was a tad overboard IMO. :)

Glad the reboot cleared whatever setting was hosed for you! It's a computer, and a reboot is prudent from time to time. I'm just surprised that this problem was solved by a reboot. Good find.

I rebooted when summon was failing and it did not fix it. Toggling the features state did. :confused:
Rebooting after a download is SOP for me whether its my car or iphone.

Reactions: boaterva
Anyone else noticed that the favorited slacker stations tiltes (thumbnails) are disappearing after MCU restart? The only way to bring them back is to un-favorite and re-favorite the station. This was an issue in early 2017 fw but was resolved last year.

Attachments

• 68AD64F1-E7BD-4540-8235-9FB1B7FBDBCD.jpeg
    68AD64F1-E7BD-4540-8235-9FB1B7FBDBCD.jpeg
    585.1 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: scottf200
Yeah, my radio station (AM/FM) icons are all gone with just the generic frequency listed now. And slacker is perhaps less reliable than normal. In that half the time stations just don't start.

Not sure if I'm imaginging the slacker issues, but the icons are definitely gone and not coming back after a reboot.

Yeah, my radio station (AM/FM) icons are all gone with just the generic frequency listed now. And slacker is perhaps less reliable than normal. In that half the time stations just don't start.

Not sure if I'm imaginging the slacker issues, but the icons are definitely gone and not coming back after a reboot.

I have noticed Slacker locks up transitioning from Wifi to LTE when I leave the house.

I was missing my icons and did a full reboot and they came back. I did it while on LTE also and not on Wifi.

The MCU and IC reboots appear to have reduced the nagging to merely intolerable levels. Thanks for the tip upthread.

*21.9 AP2 AS seems not worse when on flat ground or downhill - getting smoother with these last few updates, as one would expect. Uphill, AS still will steer me every time into a raised median that’s on the other side of a wide (6-8 lanes/6-8 lanes) intersection. Tens of thousands of dollars in damage averted every time via manual intervention. So, 2 out of 3 ain’t bad (flat and declines versus inclines). That was for the glass half full and fanboi contingent.

Looking forward to any kind of E instead of silent E in EAP.

Given that comma.ai has stated that traffic signal and stop sign reaction is dependent upon 10cm GPS, does anyone recall when that tech emerged from Defense into the private sector? It was a few years ago I *think*, but my GoogleFu has failed me so far. Seems that any GPS contribution to a driver assist solution would be dependent both upon the GPS tech *and* upon car connectivity - although I suppose the default for now could just be to default to the red hands of death...

Just tried the autopilot on this release today for the first time. There are no nags when I drive it like older releases.

If you experience nags with this release, then either:

a. There is an error in your MCU. Try a reset?

b. You are not holding the steering wheel. Start holding it.

c. You are holding the steering wheel in a 2 handed old-man-style driving, causing no torque. Start holding with 1 hand on one side, or rest the weight of *one* hand but not the other.

d. You are subconsciously helping the AP steer causing no torque. Don't. Let it work, and just rest the weight of the hand.

e. You are wiggling the wheel back and forth to give it attention like a crazy man. It will not register that, probably to prevent uneven roads from being registered as hands on wheel. Remember: Steady torque.

f. You are gripping the steering wheel hard. No need to, there are no gripping sensors installed. Also this strains your hands.

g. You are not applying torque. This is really easy and effortless. Just hold the wheel at 8 o clock with left hand, or 4 o clock with right hand. Don't rest it on your lap, but try pretending you're some Autopilot Buddy and let the weight of your arm torque the wheel. Yes, I know that doing that without AP would turn the wheel and steer you off the road, but that's how you hold it with AP engaged. Not that hard really?

If you see AP getting uncomfortable close to something, then apply the torque in the opposite direction. If AP crosses your boundaries, your torque will exceed the limit and you're back in control. AP is never dangerous, just can be when not using common sense while using it.

Given that comma.ai has stated that traffic signal and stop sign reaction is dependent upon 10cm GPS, does anyone recall when that tech emerged from Defense into the private sector? It was a few years ago I *think*, but my GoogleFu has failed me so far. Seems that any GPS contribution to a driver assist solution would be dependent both upon the GPS tech *and* upon car connectivity - although I suppose the default for now could just be to default to the red hands of death...
I read as recently as last year that there were new GPS chips for mobile devices capable of 10cm accuracy (without any change to the signals), but that is NOT what would be in our vehicles. I'm not sure if the existing tech can make the most of higher resolution signals or not as such, but I believe those two are separate entities.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
c. You are holding the steering wheel in a 2 handed old-man-style driving, causing no torque. Start holding with 1 hand on one side, or rest the weight of *one* hand but not the other.
Not this again...

My only question in response: do we have more or less control with one hand leaning on the steering wheel or two hands holding the steering wheel in case we need to take over?

Just tried the autopilot on this release today for the first time. There are no nags when I drive it like older releases.

Glad it’s working for you. Drive more.

If you see AP getting uncomfortable close to something, then apply the torque in the opposite direction. If AP crosses your boundaries, your torque will exceed the limit and you're back in control. AP is never dangerous, just can be when not using common sense while using it.

My $0.02, based upon thousands of miles of experience with both AP1 and AP2, is that this last conclusion is dangerous advice that really should be disregarded. I do wish the premise was true. But the way I read this, not so much.

Nag issue aside, AP2 is not working as smoothly as it did prior to this update (2018.21.9) for me. I use the same route to and from work 5 days a week, and there are areas it was finally working that it will disconnect at now. The drunk steer at speeds under 5 mph is just as pronounced as before, and it still tries to run into the median when using the HOV lanes.

Maybe 9.0 will come out in August and finally correct all of these issues with AP2 ??? Oh, sorry...I might have been hallucinating a bit there lol

The nominal standalone GPS accuracy is around 3-5 metres 95% of the time. Tesla uses a ublox GPS unit which can receive regional GPS augmentation signals from WAAS (North America), EGNOS (Europe), etc... Those systems provide around 1.5m accuracy 95% of the time. To do any better, local differential GPS is needed, which can provide accuracy on the order of 10cm. The concept has been around for a very long time, and its increasingly widespread usage was part of what prompted the shutdown of Selective Availability in 2000 (a system that deliberately degraded the GPS navigation signals for national security purposes).

It's not clear to me that Tesla has access to local differential GPS networks, or if any would even be suitable for autonomous driving. If they want a 10cm positioning accuracy, they will probably have to use other techniques on top of GPS.

The nominal standalone GPS accuracy is around 3-5 metres 95% of the time. Tesla uses a ublox GPS unit which can receive regional GPS augmentation signals from WAAS (North America), EGNOS (Europe), etc... Those systems provide around 1.5m accuracy 95% of the time. To do any better, local differential GPS is needed, which can provide accuracy on the order of 10cm. The concept has been around for a very long time, and its increasingly widespread usage was part of what prompted the shutdown of Selective Availability in 2000 (a system that deliberately degraded the GPS navigation signals for national security purposes).

It's not clear to me that Tesla has access to local differential GPS networks, or if any would even be suitable for autonomous driving. If they want a 10cm positioning accuracy, they will probably have to use other techniques on top of GPS.
Great input.
u-blox mentioned in my comma ai stoplight thread too: comma.ai: announces stopsign/red-light 'AP' - needs 10 cm GPS loc

Not this again...

My only question in response: do we have more or less control with one hand leaning on the steering wheel or two hands holding the steering wheel in case we need to take over?
If you really want 2 hands on the wheel, you can still do that. Just hang the left hand like you would with one hand, and rest the other hand on your lap holding the wheel in a torque-less fashion. Now I'm sure if something happens, you'll be able to grip the wheel right and fast...

• Disagree
Reactions: rnortman
If you really want 2 hands on the wheel, you can still do that. Just hang the left hand like you would with one hand, and rest the other hand on your lap holding the wheel in a torque-less fashion. Now I'm sure if something happens, you'll be able to grip the wheel right and fast...
Clearly I've been having to do that to accommodate and for interstate trips it's far more tiring on the arm with the extra torque I wouldn't normally use.

Reactions: NewTMSMan