Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.24 baf6ebc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sigh, I told Elon (if a tweet response is ‘telling’!) that his ‘light force’ language was no better than ‘hold the wheel’.

What does it mean? Hit it with a hammer lightly? I recommended ‘hold the wheel from turning’ as torque is what stops a nag. But guess it didn’t get through the static. :D

And LOTS of people thought it had a squeeze/grip sensor. That’s how the orange worked, right? /s

I spent mainly a thread convincing people on YouTube that pressure on the edge was not what the orange was doing. Science (physics) is hard for people. Seriously, moment of inertia is not a simple concept.

But if they are going to change the language I wish they would focus group test it with average users. Or something.

Sigh, I told Elon (if a tweet response is ‘telling’!) that his ‘light force’ language was no better than ‘hold the wheel’.

What does it mean? Hit it with a hammer lightly? I recommended ‘hold the wheel from turning’ as torque is what stops a nag. But guess it didn’t get through the static. :D

Elon just can't win, can he? ;)

And LOTS of people thought it had a squeeze/grip sensor. That’s how the orange worked, right? /s

I spent mainly a thread convincing people on YouTube that pressure on the edge was not what the orange was doing. Science (physics) is hard for people. Seriously, moment of inertia is not a simple concept.

But if they are going to change the language I wish they would focus group test it with average users. Or something.
I think your recommendation is only part of the solution. So not really my choice. I would call that the resistance part which works at least 1/2 the time. The other part where there is no steering by AS so there is no resistance. Then you need to apply a little "steering / torque" against AS.

2018 Volvo XC90 Assist uses "Apply steering" which seems to work similar to Tesla.

You can see it 1:45 into the video if ingested

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Speaking of software updates, I've noticed that on occasion my car will pull down a lot of data over my WiFi connection but say nothing about it on the screen for several days. Either software transfers are segmented over several nights, or perhaps the actual upgrades are staggered across the user base in case serious problems develop and rollbacks are necessary. (If I were designing it, I'd probably do both.)

I suppose it's also possible that a large data transfer might occur for reasons other than an actual software upgrade. But I don't generally sit in the driveway and play with the web browser or stream music.

Speaking of software updates, I've noticed that on occasion my car will pull down a lot of data over my WiFi connection but say nothing about it on the screen for several days. Either software transfers are segmented over several nights, or perhaps the actual upgrades are staggered across the user base in case serious problems develop and rollbacks are necessary.

I suppose it's also possible that a large data transfer might occur for reasons other than an actual software upgrade.
What do you mean by "a lot of data"? The cars will regularly connect multiple times every night and upload/download "smaller" amounts of data. When you get a firmware update, it will usually be much larger, such as hundreds of megabytes or a gigabyte or more or data.

Some excellent news there and great to see the Vector maps coming for MCU1!

Would it be possible for you to post an image of the map in "Day mode" so we can see the color skin? The water for instance should probably be grey instead of blue.

Or if someone else who got the .24 update could post such image. Would be excellent for us who has not got the update yet. Thanks :)

Off topic but is the blinking of the HUD real or is it an artifact of the video? Having small numbers blinking like that would seem super annoying to me if it is real.
That's due to the video frame-rate. It's similar to when you try to film LED tail lights at dusk and they appear to be flashing in the video.

Pro-tip: They actually *are* flashing; just at a high enough frequency that your brain doesn't see the discrete flashes. When your camera's frame-rate is out of sync with the flash cycle, then you get to see it on the video.

Some excellent news there and great to see the Vector maps coming for MCU1!

Would it be possible for you to post an image of the map in "Day mode" so we can see the color skin? The water for instance should probably be grey instead of blue.

Or if someone else who got the .24 update could post such image. Would be excellent for us who has not got the update yet. Thanks :)

It’s axtually rather sluggish but the labels update instantly. I do find the blue overlaid line for navigation is easier to read and the traffic lines are drawn better.

Attachments

• 84555C1A-3333-4372-8185-BCBA290D5968.jpeg
    84555C1A-3333-4372-8185-BCBA290D5968.jpeg
    636.2 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: evster
Speaking of software updates, I've noticed that on occasion my car will pull down a lot of data over my WiFi connection but say nothing about it on the screen for several days. Either software transfers are segmented over several nights, or perhaps the actual upgrades are staggered across the user base in case serious problems develop and rollbacks are necessary. (If I were designing it, I'd probably do both.)

I suppose it's also possible that a large data transfer might occur for reasons other than an actual software upgrade. But I don't generally sit in the driveway and play with the web browser or stream music.
Today: My car downloaded 28mb and uploaded 18mb.
Last 7: My car downloaded 401mb and uploaded 432mb

This is normal for me.

I noticed it downloads alot periodically. it may be putting in the next SW load in until till it is all there and it wont notify you it is ready for " install". sort of like an Iphone does where it may ask you download and install sometimes or just " install" where it already downloaded the new version to your phone . also I think the SW downloads may also be filling in some maps files for people that did'nt get all the files. I have noticed when it is down loading large amounts in the background, the MCU some times will crash and restart or the IC will do the same. today I think downloading caused the ICU to get out of sync with the MCU causing the temperature display and radio status, kept going blank and resetting and the LTE shut down and the MCU froze a couple of times( I have a MCU 1, in a late 2017 MS) . I went ahead and did a soft reboot ( double buttons) on the MCU and ICU and they are both back fine (I even did it while driving, as I have noticed it doesn't affect the driving computer). it is right as rain again... go figure... my new mantra is when in doubt ... re- boot!

It’s axtually rather sluggish but the labels update instantly. I do find the blue overlaid line for navigation is easier to read and the traffic lines are drawn better.

Thanks a lot for posting! Like the new colors much better than the old ones. Overall seems like you're pleased, but the "sluggish" part seems a bit worrying. Could you elaborate on that one? Is it when you pinch zoom that the loading times are longer or does it just not feel smooth?

Thanks a lot for posting! Like the new colors much better than the old ones. Overall seems like you're pleased, but the "sluggish" part seems a bit worrying. Could you elaborate on that one? Is it when you pinch zoom that the loading times are longer or does it just not feel smooth?

Yeah, so pinch-to-zoom still loads vectorized "tiles" (yeah I know, but I mean it. It still pages in 1 tile at a time).

And overall now that the road labels update dynamically, rotating and panning the maps actually has a lower framerate compared to pre-vector maps. I would estimate it to be updating at around 5fps right now. 30fps in the old maps.

So yeah, unfortunately, it felt like this undid all of the performance improvements we got in 2018.14 and beyond. Maps feel as unresponsive as MCU1 did at its worse.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on the performance front. Visual aesthetics I definitely like the new map appearance.