Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.24 baf6ebc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's really annoying about this, is that prior to Tesla breaking-up with MobilEye, it was nothing less than stellar. The GPS database was amazing. Yes, I'm talking AP1, and AP1 can read signs, but it also relies on the database. Once they changed it (over a year ago?), I constantly have it messing up in areas where it never faltered before. The most annoying of them all is school zones. It worked perfectly in school zones before. Now, it slams on the brakes when I pass by any school, regardless of time of day or time of year. The other big one is getting on freeways. Previously, it would pretty much update the max speed the second you turned on the ramp. Now, most times it shows the last streets speed or 45MPH, until after I've already merged in and settled with traffic.

I wonder if MobileEye have their own database built on what the camera's find?

That is a good point, maybe that explains why it’s green. But it seems like it’s more of a rendering bug since other sections of road with green traffic when not navigating simply show up as blue route lines when navigating. Seems like it’s not an intentional feature that for some reason the green gets drawn on top of the route rather than vice versa, only on some stretches of road.
Here's some crappy photos I took of it. These happen to all be up close, so the green line starts to show separation detail.
If you notice that the green area of the route line changed position; it was due to me changing the zoom level in/out on the navi. I could consistently make the green areas of the blue line change where it showed, just by zooming in or out.

20180618_205208.jpg 20180618_205233.jpg 20180618_204832.jpg 20180618_204933.jpg 20180618_204818.jpg 20180618_204808.jpg 20180618_205419.jpg

It was sarcastic. No one knows the release schedule. It looks like a very very slow rollout. It's only been installed on 8 cars on Teslafi so far. This likely will not be going to all cars anytime soon.

Historically speaking, the updates right after a wide rollout (like 2018.21.9) only go to a small number of cars. It will be a slow trickle. And then there's a medium-ish sized update that goes to 30-50% of the fleet. But for new owners, I'd recommend to expect in the worst case you'll be on 2018.21.9 for another 2-3 months until the next wide rollout…. And if you get one sooner, it's a pleasant surprise (or a horrible nightmare if you get one of the interim updates that have bugs)

• Informative
Reactions: ilovemycoffee
Historically speaking, the updates right after a wide rollout (like 2018.21.9) only go to a small number of cars. It will be a slow trickle. And then there's a medium-ish sized update that goes to 30-50% of the fleet. But for new owners, I'd recommend to expect in the worst case you'll be on 2018.21.9 for another 2-3 months until the next wide rollout…. And if you get one sooner, it's a pleasant surprise (or a horrible nightmare if you get one of the interim updates that have bugs)
I wish, I can sign myself up as Beta tester, early adapter, sign some sort of online waiver saying; I don't mind getting test version of the FW.. lol

I wish, I can sign myself up as Beta tester, early adapter, sign some sort of online waiver saying; I don't mind getting test version of the FW.. lol

Ditto. Just like how Windows lets you choose to be an insider and choose to be on the slow or fast track…. I understand what I am signing up for, and I still want to do it! Please give us the option without having to go around begging service centers to waste their time pushing updates.

Reactions: ahkahn
Ditto. Just like how Windows lets you choose to be an insider and choose to be on the slow or fast track…. I understand what I am signing up for, and I still want to do it! Please give us the option without having to go around begging service centers to waste their time pushing updates.
This concept works fine (and indeed can be very helpful) in large, established product markets for things like operating systems. Not so much in emerging technology areas where >>50% of your user population is likely to identify as an early adopter and want the bleeding edge immediately. Much more prudent to centrally manage your releases in markets like that.

There’s also the matter that even the stuff hitting the fast ring on Windows Insider is light years more polished than even Tesla’s GA releases, and the stakes are much lower in the case of significant failure.

Yeah, from the pattern I've seen, it looks like:

Bi-weekly - Limited release (new features, AP refinements) to less than 10% of cars.
Monthly - Small to mid-size release (refinements of the new features) to around 25-40% of cars.
Bi-monthly - Mid-size release (more refinements of new features) to around 40-60% of the cars.
Quarterly - Mass release (when all refinements are mostly stable, major feature update) to catch up the entire fleet.

Going by this schedule, I'd guess that the next major quarterly (expected August/September timeframe) would be 9.0. Whatever that means...

• Helpful
Reactions: croman and TaoJones
Just got notification for new software update
Updating now!
2018.24 here we go!

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but posting that you're installing something that you hope is 2018.24 doesn't really give any useful information. :) Next time, it might be good to wait a few more minutes until the new version is installed and you've tried it out...you can make a much more content-ful post that way.

Thanks,

Bruce.

Since when do the posts need actual content? :)
Yeah, it’s like we might accidentally fill up the interwebz...
Because threads grow out of hand, then people don't want to sift through a bunch of jabber to find useful answers to their questions, then people ask a question that's already been answered because they gave up looking for an answer because it was buried in a bunch of jabber, then other people get all pissy because someone is asking a question that has already been answered elsewhere but is buried in a bunch of jabber that makes it impossible to find, then the original person thinks the other people are a bunch of know-it-all jerks that aren't willing to help or understand that he/she has already tried sifting through all the jabber looking for the answer to their question that they originally had but can't find the answer to because it is buried in all the jabber. :D

Besides..... we have Facebook for that stuff :p