Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.28.5 377ec8b

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It did, but then I got used to it and now it appears to still have abrupt changes in deceleration still which feel very unnatural. Gentle changes in deceleration feel much more natural than it suddenly deciding "nope, not decelerating enough, let's double it in one step."

Using AP in these situations certainly uses more brakes, which of course will wear them out much more quickly than not using it. I cancel AP or TACC approaching cars well ahead stopped at a traffic light which allows the car to regenerate instead of waiting much too late and stopping much too abruptly using brakes. Like new drivers, the car doesn't look far enough ahead.

Using AP in these situations certainly uses more brakes, which of course will wear them out much more quickly than not using it. I cancel AP or TACC approaching cars well ahead stopped at a traffic light which allows the car to regenerate instead of waiting much too late and stopping much too abruptly using brakes. Like new drivers, the car doesn't look far enough ahead.

Is that verified? I am only asking because I thought the same thing. However even with the abrupt braking, the energy bar goes full green. When I use the brakes manually, i do not get the full green bar. so are we sure its not some sort of hybrid braking and even more aggressive regen?

Energy savings and always connected are in the display tab (don’t know why). They are only present before on MCU1 cars delivered before March 2018. Not sure if that changes now, heard that MCU2 cars do not need those settings.

Attachments

• 39EF28F8-D0F7-4CE0-B346-D723C75B045F.jpeg
    39EF28F8-D0F7-4CE0-B346-D723C75B045F.jpeg
    490.8 KB · Views: 171
The yellow border is a hardware issue... Many of us have had the screen replaced under warrantee as it is ugly, and may get worse .....snip.....
great ... is this another one of those SC responds "i've never seen that before" scenarios? or is it more akin to to the, "you're still w/in tollerance" like windshield ghosting. SO exasperating to be told stuff like that.

great ... is this another one of those SC responds "i've never seen that before" scenarios? or is it more akin to to the, "you're still w/in tollerance" like windshield ghosting. SO exasperating to be told stuff like that.
I just mentioned it during my annual maintenance and they said they would replace it. They fixed it without any questions or excuses, and they had the part in stock.

Is that verified? I am only asking because I thought the same thing. However even with the abrupt braking, the energy bar goes full green. When I use the brakes manually, i do not get the full green bar. so are we sure its not some sort of hybrid braking and even more aggressive regen?

Have a hooked up a thermal sensor on the brake under AP to verify it is operating upon these conditions? No. But it must, because there are a lot more braking forces racing up to a stopped car using AP (or TACC) then letting off the accelerator not using it.

You don't get the same level green bar in both situations? If I just let off the accelerator on a straight from high speed, or down a steep hill, I get full green regeneration; almost to the maximum end of the rotary display. Using AP coming to a stop it goes to the same position; no further. I assume this is the same maximum region, but it stops much more forcefully. i.e.: brakes are being applied as well.

There a possibility that the regen using AP is more forceful than when not using it, but why would they (Tesla engineers) do that? it doesn't make sense.

Thanks again for the picture.
I find "Driver Assistance", as it was called before, the more appropriate name for that tab..
The reason for the renaming is that "Driver Assistance" would also include Full Self Drive, and some teaser shots from development have shown that "Full Self Drive" will have a tab of its own. Alas that doesn't mean we're getting anything any time soon (see definition of Elon time.)

Have a hooked up a thermal sensor on the brake under AP to verify it is operating upon these conditions? No. But it must, because there are a lot more braking forces racing up to a stopped car using AP (or TACC) then letting off the accelerator not using it.

You don't get the same level green bar in both situations? If I just let off the accelerator on a straight from high speed, or down a steep hill, I get full green regeneration; almost to the maximum end of the rotary display. Using AP coming to a stop it goes to the same position; no further. I assume this is the same maximum region, but it stops much more forcefully. i.e.: brakes are being applied as well.

There a possibility that the regen using AP is more forceful than when not using it, but why would they (Tesla engineers) do that? it doesn't make sense.
Manufacturers of OLED smartphone screens do something that may be analogous to allowing higher regen in AP mode. Under manual control the screens will allow a max output of maybe 400nits but when set to automatic brightness the screens can output 800 nits or so. This is because the screen can sustain higher brightness for certain periods of time in certain conditions, the auto-brightness software is trusted to know what these conditions are, the human user is not.

Got this update still today and not the newest 2018.32.x. Just test drove the 2018.28.5 (coming from 2018.26) on my regular local test routes. I have been driving same routes with the previous version this week. Car is 2017 90D AP2.0.

Some fine tuning has happened. For several months the car allowed limit + 10 km/h on cruise and AP on all roads. Now it is back on limit only, except for freeway. Sometimes I was able to go beyond the limit until there was a refresh of the map tile or something, which enforced the limit again. This is a bummer as the traffic is 5 - 10 km/h over limit generally. I feel awkward about building a queue with a 100k Tesla...

Surprising and less evident was that I found the auto steering to have been adjusted. Now it does less of micro steering adjustments, but instead seems to steer with more infrequent bigger arches. Good and bad, as it seems more stable and confident on the road, but as driving performance is unimproved (still fails in all the same places), so in some situations the steering seems to lag. To be fair, this is not a problem on roads and situations which the AP is meant to handle (e.g. freeway or highway), but on my AP torture routes. At the same time the sensing of wheel torque by hand has improved and beaten-to-death nag has become less. I didn't mind earlier too much either, but now for me even the slightest touch kept nag away for an hour. I find these may be connected: less micro movement from AP and more listening to wheel torque. I liked.

While above goes in the good bucket, I had 3 hill crests on the route and car swayed to the right abruptly every time. This is weird, as since the famous "ten-four" neural net update, there have been zero hill crest issues. Regression, so sad.

No phantom breaks, instead once an oncoming car cut the corner by crossing lane markings on my path, and AP reacted with a slight break. Acceptable while unnecessary (a human could see that the car's trajectory is safe). An oncoming bus was also having a bad trajectory, on a road without lane center markings, and AP reduced speed until the bus improved behavior.

A few days ago I got this update in my 2013 Model S85 pre-autopilot, pre-parking-sensors, pre-everything.

Of course, this is yet another release that has no notable features or improvements and the release notes points to an old feature update about 3 firmware updates back. Yawn.

Since the install:
• More and more difficulty connecting to various TuneIn stations around the world--many more loading errors
• If you keep attempting to try lots of TuneIn stations and they fail to load, eventually the infotainment system crashes and you have to reboot the 17" screen computer.
• For the first time ever, my instrument panel display behind the steering wheel hung, just froze, while I was driving at 43 mph. I came to a stop sign, stopped, and noticed the speedometer readout showed 43. Nothing worked in the instrument panel dash display. I couldn't use the right or left selection knobs, volume control, cruise control, nothing worked. So I tried to reboot the dash computer. Nothing.I sat there at the stop sign a good while trying to reboot, nothing. So I proceeded onto the next road, went 50 yards, and dash display went black for half minute or so, then gray, then rebooted... ironically, by then I was traveling 43 mph again! So suddenly I see 43mph and think oh crap the display rebooted but is still frozen. I tapped the brakes and saw it go 42, 41, 40, etc so I knew it was okay.

But still. Not a great release for my car imho.