Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.5 a1c2332 (first 9.0 release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot on Nav has been postponed. It is out to 1,000 more testers this week.

I knew it was postponed of course, but didn't hear anything else about it. Are you saying an additional 1000 people on the early access program got another update that still has it enabled for testing? Do you have a source for that? I believe you - but some extra context would be interesting.

If that's true then that bodes well for actually getting it released to public "in a few weeks" as stated and not "well into 2019" as my Elon-time adjustment clock says.

If you change your phone, you need to re-run the bluetooth sync to get your calendar, let calls, dialer etc.
Yes,
Did all that as usual. I was referring to the calendar sync setting in he Tesla App settings reverting to disabled.
5A868C46-4A5F-4BA5-80BC-B6F40D6F8AA5.jpeg

I knew it was postponed of course, but didn't hear anything else about it. Are you saying an additional 1000 people on the early access program got another update that still has it enabled for testing? Do you have a source for that? I believe you - but some extra context would be interesting.

If that's true then that bodes well for actually getting it released to public "in a few weeks" as stated and not "well into 2019" as my Elon-time adjustment clock says.

They pushed out another early access build today, which also comes with new maps.

This time I think they do mean soon, soon as in v9 almost done, not soon as in coast to coast drive.

Yes,
Did all that as usual. I was referring to the calendar sync setting in he Tesla App settings reverting to disabled.
View attachment 341537
For others maybe having an issue. When I go my iPhone Xs Max the calendar would not sync and I check a lot of things other then the Tesla App Setting to turn on Calendar Sync. Somehow it got turned off. Surprised I had to turn it back on just because of a new phone. I did turn on allow calendar access in the iPhone Settings privacy which what I thought they were talking about.

FWIW noticing after 50 miles of driving that the surround display is less glitchy — fewer teleporting cars when passing by. I suspect there is some sort of calibration happening over time.
Agreed- Jives with what @BigD0g (IIRC?) reported on his rooted v9 install waiting for cameras to calibrate.

I was noticing more cars behind me (presumably rear/backup cam) later this evening compared to when we first went out after upgrading. Maybe has to do with headlights vs. no headlights, but the warping was a LOT less after about 100ish miles of driving.

WOW!
AEP 9.0 is vastly improved!
Drove through a spot today that has always caused AEP to fail & freak out.
For the first time ever AEP makes it through with flying colors!.
I posted this short clip that shows the before and after.

I just got back from another 50 or so miles of driving and yes, 9.0 is jaw droppingly good. Note that my first dozen or so miles were kind of erratic, but over time, it's actually performing markedly better on the exact same road segments I was testing it on before.

I was able to drive a 10 mile stretch of Skyline Blvd out here, which is a winding 2 lane mountain road with no divider, without it hitting the rumble strips at all. I wouldn't even have thought of turning on Autopilot on this road before. I can go on and on with examples, but this thing drives on rails, especially on the highway!

• Informative
Reactions: Helmuth and DDotJ
Results of Surface Street AP-Challenge with v9...

For over a year I have been testing every new software version to see if AP(2) can handle a certain half-mile stretch on a nearby surface street. It has progressively been getting better and better but it ALWAYS has cut across the divider line in the northbound lane on a switchback turn. It's not very sharp, but just sharp enough - after coming out of turn "1" it crosses the line as it transitions to turn "2". Pretty near where I am placed the "2" mark in this visualization.

AP-challenge-switchback.png

Tried it with v9 (2018.39.6) today.

Results: It STILL crosses the lane divider line at the start of the switchback :(

But it is incrementally still better as it crosses a little bit less than it used to. I'd say it still crosses at least 6-9 inches (obviously I can't tell exactly) but in the past it was a solid foot plus - maybe 12"-16". The rest of the stretch is handled competently until the end which ends in a large dirt berm. Here is the berm:

AP-challenge berm.png

Didn't get to test the berm side today because there were pedestrians around there today so will try tomorrow.

Berm part is very challenging for AP. First, the cameras have to identify that the lane is actually turning. I think the berm somehow confuses it a bit and it doesn't seem to see the lane turn into very late. Second, it's a pretty sharp turn. It's all challenging to test because there is a stop sign immediately after the turn. Even when AP does make the turn, I have to immediately break so I can't let it 100% completely make it's turn.

We'll see how v9 handles it tomorrow. What I am hoping is that the IC will more clearly show the bend in the road before the bend is upon me and that it slows down a bit more before the turn happens instead of whipping around it at full speed limit very uncomfortably.

WFIW, this "berm test" is the most unpredictable and "random". AP will make the turn multiple times in a row (same firmware version) - at least as much of a turn as I can let it before I have to stop the car. But then some days it seems to not see either the berm or the turn and either looks like it would just plow full speed into the berm - OR it will just disengage and give up...at the very last second. Both of these fail conditions would be scary except I have done it 100 times so I'm always ready.

It is also a bit disconcerting that 75% of the time it probably makes the turn (albeit at higher than comfortable speeds and too abruptly) but the other 25% it either barrels straight or just disengages maybe 1-1.5 second before the berm. I can't figure out why it works sometimes and not others.

Anyway, we'll see what happens with v9 soon :)

Last edited:

The source is Elon on Twitter.