Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.5 a1c2332 (first 9.0 release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that there are a lot of worthwhile improvements in V9, but one overwhelming disadvantage - the navigation screen will take up the top portion of the touchscreen whether you want it there or you don't want it at all. A long as that stays true I will not be installing any new downgrade versions, the new features may bee 'cool' but they are not worth the loss of flexibility.
FWIW
After seeing the leaked pics online I thought the new interface seemed like a step backwards before I actually used it. Especially since we have a Model S and a Model 3 and I preferred the Model S screen setup over the 3’s. Change isn’t always easy to accept at first.
After using it for just a few days, I have to admit that I really like it a lot. It’s a more intelligent design. I was apprehensive about the application launcher, but now prefer it.
The navigation screen immediately adapts to best take advantage of the space available when moving through the three window heights of the media player. It also magically zooms out to show the entire route when you tap navigation to the detailed view and zooms back in when you tap out of the detailed view.
I will admit I never leave the rear view camera in view while driving. I find it distracting, ven a bit dizzying. I drive an S. Might be more important for X owners.

Does the X have as poor rear visibility as the S? I find it to be a safety concern checking my rear with the mirror. I left my camera on all the time even when navigating because I can use the IC for a map. I don't get nauseated, I stay informed about my surroundings in a car with crippled rear visibility.

Many would be too busy cleaning up the vomit on their front seat area to respond.

Maybe you jest, however wife and I thought "hey cool a video rear vision facility". Turned it on when travelling at speed on a motorway. 20 seconds later - nope, turned it off, wife thought it would make her ill. I wasn't disagreeing much. Refresh rate too low for the speed that the image was changing.

Really interesting to me where different peoples sensitivities and preferences lie.

Does the X have as poor rear visibility as the S? I find it to be a safety concern checking my rear with the mirror. I left my camera on all the time even when navigating because I can use the IC for a map. I don't get nauseated, I stay informed about my surroundings in a car with crippled rear visibility.
The only time I ever used the rear camera was when I had a loaner X. I had a load of bar stools, and no visibility out the rear window. I do find visibility to be superior in the S. One of the reasons I purchased the S over the X after test driving both. The X’s lower range, power, inferior handling plus the goofy rear view mirror & sun visors were also factors. I really liked the automatic front doors though.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
That’s funny, the rear camera actually makes me nauseous. I used the word dizzying instead for writing aesthetics.

Reactions: croman
I'm going to test drive an X but I find the 3 to be far superior in terms of rear visibility. Not only did the 3 have no rear headrest blockage, but the angle of the glass enabled a better field of view.

The S is the worst I've experienced and the rearview camera was SOLD to me as the solution by Tesla's sales staff. Now they take it away.

I just posted this long (50 minutes+) video of the first half of my first road trip on Version 9.0 (2018.39.5)
It nimbly navigated the curvy route from Astoria Oregon to Longview Washington on Hwy 30.
1st Tesla Version 9.0 (2018.39.5) ROAD TRIP!!!
I have attempted this many times in Autopilot. This is the first time it made it through the windy sections nearly flawlessly.
Unfortunately the YouTube copyright police found several songs that were playing on Slacker, forcing me to delete the soundtrack.
So once that finishes processing it will be a silent video.
Here are some points of interest in this lengthy video.
2:00-7:00 Winding road that I have never completed without numerous disengagement’s.
10:45 Passing Lane (1 lane becomes 2)
11:00 Auto Lane change
11:59 smooth merge (2 lanes become 1)
14:40 Passing Lane + Auto lane change
15:23 Auto Lane Change just prior to merge
19:20 Passing Lane
(Attempted to influence lane choice with right turn signal without success)
35:29 Autopilot erroneously chose the left turn lane as opposed to the left lane. Too be fair It is easy to see why if you freeze frame the video.
36:45 Passing Lane
39:15 Auto lane change aborted because I initiated it just before lane line ending at merge.
46:25 Lane split handled smoothly.

Last edited:
I just posted this long (50 minutes+) video of the first half of my first road trip on Version 9.0 (2018.39.5)
It nimbly navigated the curvy route from Astoria Oregon to Longview Washington on Hwy 30.
1st Tesla Version 9.0 (2018.39.5) ROAD TRIP!!!
I have attempted this many times in Autopilot. This is the first time it made it through the windy sections nearly flawlessly.
Unfortunately the YouTube copyright police found several songs that were playing on Slacker, forcing me to delete the soundtrack.
So once that finishes processing it will be a silent video.
Here are some points of interest in this lengthy video.
2:00-7:00 Winding road that I have never completed without numerous disengagement’s.
10:45 Passing Lane (1 lane becomes 2)
11:00 Auto Lane change
11:59 smooth merge (2 lanes become 1)
14:40 Passing Lane + Auto lane change
15:23 Auto Lane Change just prior to merge
19:20 Passing Lane
(Attempted to influence lane choice with right turn signal without success)
35:29 Autopilot erroneously chose the left turn lane as opposed to the left lane. Too be fair It is easy to see why if you freeze frame the video.
36:45 Passing Lane
39:15 Auto lane change aborted because I initiated it just before lane line ending at merge.
46:25 Lane split handled smoothly.

Video gone :(

Anyone else having issues with the streaming randomly stuttering on 39.6? By stuttering I mean goes silent for a second or missing parts of the audio track although it’s all downloaded, etc. Happens only using Slacker, and I have a USB in for the dash cam, and feels like the MCU could be struggling to process everything?

I don’t think it matters but I also have Reus 2.5 but that shouldn’t affect it.

I’ve reset a few times, no luck :(

Attention people posting to this thread: This is a thread for discussing software version 2018.39.5. Because it only went to a relatively small number of cars, it is more likely that you mean to discuss 2018.39.6 (or some later version). The thread for 2018.39.6 is here:

Software Update 2018.39.6 8377b4d

Thank you,

Bruce.