Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.5 a1c2332 (first 9.0 release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm totally confused by Tesla autopilot terminology. My Model S was delivered in June 2017, so I assume I have AP2.0 hardware. I did not order the Full Self Driving option. However, my dashboard display now shows the surrounding vehicles including the basic shapes of sedans, light trucks, big trucks, and motorcycles. It also displays the red line blind spot warning when I signal for a lane change when a car is in an adjacent lane. My current software is 2018.40. So, do I get Navigate on Autopilot when I get the 2018.42 software update? Do I have dashcam capability? Do I have Full Self Driving Hardware (obviously I don't have the software since I didn't purchase it)? Inquiring minds want to know.

I'm totally confused by Tesla autopilot terminology. My Model S was delivered in June 2017, so I assume I have AP2.0 hardware. I did not order the Full Self Driving option. However, my dashboard display now shows the surrounding vehicles including the basic shapes of sedans, light trucks, big trucks, and motorcycles. It also displays the red line blind spot warning when I signal for a lane change when a car is in an adjacent lane. My current software is 2018.40. So, do I get Navigate on Autopilot when I get the 2018.42 software update? Do I have dashcam capability? Do I have Full Self Driving Hardware (obviously I don't have the software since I didn't purchase it)? Inquiring minds want to know.
1) You have AP2.0, so you will see the cars around you, as well as blind spot warning
2) You should get Nav on Autopilot when you get .42
3) You won't have dashcam capability, that is the only feature limited to AP2.5 at this time
4) No one has FSD hardware at this point, but if you upgrade to that option, they should retrofit the 3.0 APE to your car (as they will be on every other 2.0/2.5 car that has purchased it)

You didn't say if you paid for EAP or not... If you did you get nav on ap.

Thanks DukeofURL and MP3Mike. I did purchase "AutoPilot" and have been enjoying TACC, autosteer, self-park, auto lane change, etc. since I first got the car - so I assume what I purchased for $5K was "EAP" and therefore will get Nav on AP which I will similarly enjoy using. I did not purchase Full Self Driving due to lack of confidence that it would ever really happen and if I really wanted it, I can spend the extra $1K to get it in the future. Now I see that Tesla is no longer offering it as a purchase option. Probably very few people opted to spend the extra $3K to get some future feature. The dashcam feature would be nice but without AP2.5 hardware apparently I won't get it. Thanks again for the speedy reply. Eagerly awaiting .42