Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.6 8377b4d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes that’s exactly what it did. Not a “natural” reaction at all. It didn’t cause any real harm but I would sure rather it didn’t.
And tonight on the way home I tried it again with my car being Well ahead of the other car. It could have just moved over to that lane although it would have made them a little mad since it was just tight enough to be a rude move. And the darn thing slowed way down and then they slowed down to let me in. And so mine slowed down even more. Like a damn cat and mouse game. I got disgusted and floored it and moved over myself. It (AP V9)definitely needs some work
Does this behavior change if you have it on mad max vs the other options?

My daily. commute is 60km each way...so having driven 120-150km today on V9, I am impressed by the improvements in AP behaviour. The car doesn't suddenly accelerate or brake as it used to previously. AP lane changes in local city roads is fantastic. The IC display avatars are awesome... however, the icons are glitchy and sometimes overlap on one another. Hopefully this will be tweaked in updates. I remember reading there are separate avatars for multi-axle trailers...so perhaps these are still going to be updated.
In terms of the interface, it is very pleasant and beautiful to look at. I love the new settings menu. The music/phone page is a bit weird with the empty frame on the left side (sorry no pics.. will have to take some tomorrow). I understand the camera at the bottom is weird, but, upon putting the car in reverse, it reverts to the old-school camera on top with sensor range below. That is alright for me. With regards to web browser, I do not browse the web anyways given that the MCU1 is very slow in this regard (so this might be more of a concern for MCU 2 users). All in all, I am glad this update wasn't exclusive to the MCU 2 users and got rolled out to all cars. Looking forward to finally being able to start software updates from my phone, sending directions from google maps on my phone etc. Great job Tesla. Keep it up.

Got the update yesterday. I immediately noticed one really positive advancement. It is showing lane lines when there isn't any on the road. It is outlining the direction without lines present. So, they must be starting to map lane directional information. I couldn't engage autopilot in this scenario, but it does outline the correct side and direction of road. This probably why the car does better with split lanes as well.
Noticed the same thing in my neighborhood.

Updated this morning, and by far one aspect of V9 has given me more excitement than anything else. I live on a dirt road. Yes, I drive my $100K vehicle on a dirt road....every day....it does fine. Autopilot is useless on a dirt road, but this morning was the first time ever that I have had lane lines on the IC while driving on an unmarked dirt road with nothing but grass and trees defining the edges of the road. Not only did it give lane lines, it actually would show my "toy car" over the line when I drove down the middle of the road. This is the first evidence I have ever seen that the computer is interpreting a drivable space. This gives me hope that the FSD I paid for may someday in my lifetime actually give me the ability to have driveway to destination self driving...well at least in my children's lifetime.

Updated this morning, and by far one aspect of V9 has given me more excitement than anything else. I live on a dirt road. Yes, I drive my $100K vehicle on a dirt road....every day....it does fine. Autopilot is useless on a dirt road, but this morning was the first time ever that I have had lane lines on the IC while driving on an unmarked dirt road with nothing but grass and trees defining the edges of the road. Not only did it give lane lines, it actually would show my "toy car" over the line when I drove down the middle of the road. This is the first evidence I have ever seen that the computer is interpreting a drivable space. This gives me hope that the FSD I paid for may someday in my lifetime actually give me the ability to have driveway to destination self driving...well at least in my children's lifetime.

My Sig AP1 X P90D actually let me engage AutoPilot (purple) once on a gravel road (red) but the lines (yellow) didn't show up.
FUrUwZU.jpg

Yes that’s exactly what it did. Not a “natural” reaction at all. It didn’t cause any real harm but I would sure rather it didn’t.
And tonight on the way home I tried it again with my car being Well ahead of the other car. It could have just moved over to that lane although it would have made them a little mad since it was just tight enough to be a rude move. And the darn thing slowed way down and then they slowed down to let me in. And so mine slowed down even more. Like a damn cat and mouse game. I got disgusted and floored it and moved over myself. It (AP V9)definitely needs some work
I had that exact same thing happen to me tonight as well. Other than this I'm really liking the update so far.

My daily. commute is 60km each way...so having driven 120-150km today on V9, I am impressed by the improvements in AP behaviour. The car doesn't suddenly accelerate or brake as it used to previously. AP lane changes in local city roads is fantastic. The IC display avatars are awesome... however, the icons are glitchy and sometimes overlap on one another. Hopefully this will be tweaked in updates. I remember reading there are separate avatars for multi-axle trailers...so perhaps these are still going to be updated.
In terms of the interface, it is very pleasant and beautiful to look at. I love the new settings menu. The music/phone page is a bit weird with the empty frame on the left side (sorry no pics.. will have to take some tomorrow). I understand the camera at the bottom is weird, but, upon putting the car in reverse, it reverts to the old-school camera on top with sensor range below. That is alright for me. With regards to web browser, I do not browse the web anyways given that the MCU1 is very slow in this regard (so this might be more of a concern for MCU 2 users). All in all, I am glad this update wasn't exclusive to the MCU 2 users and got rolled out to all cars. Looking forward to finally being able to start software updates from my phone, sending directions from google maps on my phone etc. Great job Tesla. Keep it up.

With regards to the version 9 auto pilot, I was expecting something different. This version definitely feels more suicidal on local roads than previous version. Much more sudden jerking and jitteriness with the steering wheel when algorithm is making decisions.

Long term however the algorithm does appear to be the future. The road line representation is a lot more fluid/dynamic. Seems like its more what the driver interprets the lines to represent.

Got the 39.6 update last night and got to take it for a drive in morning traffic. Used AP on surface streets and freeways almost 100% of the time for almost 40 miles. Very impressed!

I was mainly focusing on the new lane change capability to work with the blind spot monitoring. I purposefully tried to initiate a lane change while adjacent to another car in the lane I indicated I wanted to change into. I tried this while travelling at the same speed as the adjacent car, going faster than the adjacent car, and going slower than the adjacent car. I'd say that ALC prefers to slow down and then change lanes behind the other car instead of overtaking and then changing lanes. It did overtake a couple times and then change lanes but I think those were where I was already slightly in front of the other car or already going faster. Interestingly, every time it did overtake the other car and just prior to changing lanes, my car slowed down the match the speed of the other car and then changed lanes. This was slightly tense because I am changing lanes in front of another car and I'm slowing down. From their perspective it must have looked like a faster car passing them, then slowing down and merging in front of them, and then speeding up again.

I don't think this is a case of my car speeding up to overtake and exceeding my preset TACC speed and then slowing down. I was already traveling faster than the adjacent car and there were no other cars in front of me in either lane. Also, another time was in heavier traffic going much slower than the TACC set speed, the car changed lanes and slowed again just as the lane change was taking place. There were also a couple instances where the lane change aborted for no apparent reason. One time it started a lane change, then decided not to change lanes and then re-decided to actually change lanes. I'm sure the other car thought I was drunk or something.

Overall, the blind spot detection is great and how it now works with ALC is pretty magical. Can't wait for DON to be released.
Same impression here. Trying to autochange lanes in front of a car where there are no cars ahead, Tesla slows down while crossing the lane in front of the other car, dangerous thing for autopilot to do. Hopefully this will get addressed in the next update.

One test I was abeam the other car but just ever so slightly going faster. So a gentle use of throttle would have been perfect to get ahead and move over. But it slowed quickly to try and get behind them. Not good IMO. And yes they look at me like I’m some sort of idiot or I’m trying to mess with them.

In order to pass in front of that car, what would the speed have been relative to the limit? I'm wondering if the SW has a time limit limit which interacts with available speed delta and position.

With regards to the version 9 auto pilot, I was expecting something different. This version definitely feels more suicidal on local roads than previous version. Much more sudden jerking and jitteriness with the steering wheel when algorithm is making decisions.

Long term however the algorithm does appear to be the future. The road line representation is a lot more fluid/dynamic. Seems like its more what the driver interprets the lines to represent.

I would have to slightly disagree, I've been running AP for a couple days now, and really like the new AP. It's not Mad Max yet but very good. Now the first day I had it I didn't trust it, felt a touch of jerky you mentioned, but it quickly went away after a couple AP cycles. As if it was learning again, or resyncing. Naturally I wouldn't trust the car to right out of the box but i trust it now after the few cycles.

This morning I was in heavy Washington DC traffic and was using the lane changing function deliberately to see how it reacted. The car tends to slow down and let the car to your right pass then go over very smoothly FYI.

When you have the spot between two cars on the right, my car calculated the center and then changed lanes, changes the red line to dashed blue before it moves over. I was impressed with this move. I now can look at the IC and tend to see what the car is thinking.

I also noted the "slam on the brakes" move the car does when someone cuts you off has now gone away. the car simply coasts to return to a safe following distances. So I can now dial the distance back to 3 and not worry about the brakes coming on, this also tends to calm AP down to a nice ride. No jerking like the #1 setting.

When the car failed to change lanes, which might have been on the crest of a hill, it gives you a "lane change canceled" message.

I'm also seeing the trucks, bus's, motorcycles on the display with ALL of the lanes on the highway going your direction. They certainly look like there playing bumper cars bouncing all around on the display. I've been completely surrounded driving. I did notice that there is still a blind spot a bit forward of my car, in which you can plainly see the car in your normal range of view.

I will say the bug for the arbitrary slamming on the brakes is still there. I was going under a bridge at night and the computer picked up the speed of the road above me and slammed on the brakes reducing me down 20MPH and sticking to the side roads posted speed limit. I was doing 64 and the road above was 45 and it sticks to the posted speed limit on that road. They still need to get the GPS to narrow the window down to the road your on, not the adjacent service road, exit ramp speed, or road that is on the overpass above you. If you look at the IC quick enough you will see the speed limit sign change and reduce the max speed as a result.

Last edited:
@Silicon Desert

That is the setup with the new Standard data plan. The Premium data plan will do non-safety SW updates over cellular. All vehicles come with one year of Premium, so all cars should be getting cellular updates currently (unless they changed it).

Tesla to offer ‘Premium Connectivity’ internet package starting July 1

I'm still on my 1 Year of Premium & have WiFi at Work and at Home. I'm ready to see if being OFF of WiFi will get me v9... really excited to have Lane Changes on Regular Roads which is 85% of my standard commute