Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.6 8377b4d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went against my better judgement and installed the update when I got the notification last night. This iteration of V9 feels like a complete gimmick to me. What has actually improved here?
  • The map on the centre console has now been shoved down my throat, forcing all other windows to rest far away from my field of view.
  • The rear view camera window has been moved to an effectively unusable spot; I have to rely solely on looking out the passenger windows to check blind spots, which now reduces my safety. The new blind spot monitoring function does nothing for me because I always understand my surroundings before deciding to change lanes. I don't trust it just yet either.
  • The surrounding traffic visualisation and vehicle type identification is noisy and distracting.
  • Autopilot is no longer stable in lane and has a noticeable left-right oscillation. The nags are an unsafe distraction. (I essentially came from the week 20 version, which had the reasonable longer nags.)
But we got Atari games, right?

My opinion is that unless there is something you specifically need from the new update, hold on to what you have.
Thank you. I am in April low-nag version. I will stay there.

I went against my better judgement and installed the update when I got the notification last night. This iteration of V9 feels like a complete gimmick to me. What has actually improved here?
  • The map on the centre console has now been shoved down my throat, forcing all other windows to rest far away from my field of view.
  • The rear view camera window has been moved to an effectively unusable spot; I have to rely solely on looking out the passenger windows to check blind spots, which now reduces my safety. The new blind spot monitoring function does nothing for me because I always understand my surroundings before deciding to change lanes. I don't trust it just yet either.
  • The surrounding traffic visualisation and vehicle type identification is noisy and distracting.
  • Autopilot is no longer stable in lane and has a noticeable left-right oscillation. The nags are an unsafe distraction. (I essentially came from the week 20 version, which had the reasonable longer nags.)
But we got Atari games, right?

My opinion is that unless there is something you specifically need from the new update, hold on to what you have.

Replying to you, but more generally: I haven’t seen any ping ponging in the lane after installing it other than a few seconds where the lane lines were very unclear(there were two sets, with the older ones only very partially painted over. Hard for me to tell which was which). You AP2 or 2.5? (I’m AP2)

Thank you. I am in April low-nag version. I will stay there.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I'm hoping that this is just the initial cut of all of these features and that we'll see improvements over time. It's probably worth re-evaluating if / when the on-ramp to off-ramp feature is released.

Replying to you, but more generally: I haven’t seen any ping ponging in the lane after installing it other than a few seconds where the lane lines were very unclear(there were two sets, with the older ones only very partially painted over. Hard for me to tell which was which). You AP2 or 2.5? (I’m AP2)

I'm on AP2.5. I'll probably keep driving it around for the next few days to see if anything changes. Is there maybe some kind of re-calibration period that I don't know about?

Is there maybe some kind of re-calibration period that I don't know about?
No. The only calibration is before the autopilot feature is enabled. Thereafter there is never a re-calibration unless the service centre forces one for you. Once the drive-on-navigation feature is rolled out in the near future, you will have a new set of cameras to be calibrated, but that will also be a one-off.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
I got this version Friday evening. With 8.x I had the navigation screen on the bottom half of the screen so the map didn't extend into the area for the top icons. Now the navigation screen is fixed taking up most of the screen and it's hard to see the top icons. I'd rather have some white space up there and lose 1-2 cm of map.

The bottom bar is now very crowded which is not a good thing for a car. You can have a relatively crowded screen on a handheld device, but the touch screen in the car has to be used when you're mostly keeping your eyes on the road and having icons too close together leads to errors. In 8.x I turned on the defrosters many times when I went to change the temperature. Now those are moved over, but the seat heater buttons are right next to the temperature controls.

The biggest benefits for 9.x are only available to the AP 2 cars. Those of us with AP1 (which I have) or classic cars (pre-AP), just get a different look to the screens.

So far 9.0 is livable, but annoying.

No. The only calibration is before the autopilot feature is enabled. Thereafter there is never a re-calibration unless the service centre forces one for you. Once the drive-on-navigation feature is rolled out in the near future, you will have a new set of cameras to be calibrated, but that will also be a one-off.

Even without drive on nav, I think v9 is going through calibration on a couple of the cameras, but since all our hackers were working with the versions with drive on nav it's hard to be sure.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Hi there,

it's my first post here without having introduced myself, so please forgive me. :)

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to play the games coming witth software version 9 via a plugged in USB-Joystick? And since it's a MAME behind I'd love to play other favourite games of my youth like e.g. some C64 or even Amiga games. How about that?

Personally I didn't pay over $90K for a game console. :) Seriously I'd rather see them spend their resources on other areas that need it more. This is coming from a guy who has a MAME console in the basement and owned several C64s and Amigas. Bought an A1000 the day it hit my dealer, ah the good ole days of computers.;)

Last edited:
I'm firmly in the camp of give me two apps on the screen other then Nav. Am I the only one who thinks this is a concession to the smaller Model 3 landscape screen? Having said that while having the camera on the bottom isn't ideal it is workable. With the camera screen on and going into reverse you can tap the icon on the lower left to bring up the backing screen. Why not make it automatic instead of putting an icon up? If going into reverse brought up the backing full screen up I could live with it staying at the bottom, especially since we have pretty good blind spot detection now.

Also I thought Verygreen did mention something about a cal period but that may have just been the vehicle avatars, Personally I haven't noticed any real change in AP but then again it is still pretty new and I haven't logged many miles yet.

Wow. Some serious downer posts in here.

I personally really like the new UI. It seems easier to access at the bottom for me and more logically laid out. I sometimes drive with the rear camera on and it works just fine at the bottom. This nonsense of it being “useless” because it sits a few inches lower is crazy.
I have absolutely no problems with the auto steer and staying perfectly centered. Seems very stable as it has been for a few updates. And I will go so far as to say it is smoother on acceleration and slowing in traffic. Not so jerky anymore. I really like it.
Navigation with exit numbers is also very welcomed! And I love the sharing of direction with my phone now before I even get to the car. Small feature but very handy indeed.

I do wish we had the Drive on a Nav feature and I’m disappointed it’s not done yet. But I get it why it’s delayed so I’m not gonna get to worried about it for now.

Bottom line is I would recommend this to anyone considering whether to update or not.

With the camera screen on and going into reverse you can tap the icon on the lower left to bring up the backing screen. Why not make it automatic instead of putting an icon up? If going into reverse brought up the backing full screen up I could live with it staying at the bottom, especially since we have pretty good blind spot detection now.

Mine works just as always going to full screen and at the top for the camera when car is put into reverse. Unless the camera is already open at bottom as an app. Then it doesn’t.

This nonsense of it being “useless” because it sits a few inches lower is crazy.
Your profile says you're in Fort Worth so I'm going to assume you drive on the right. When you drive, do you not use your right arm on the steering wheel at all? Granted I'm assuming you're not missing your right arm or something. Do you ever look at the rear camera screen while driving?

If someone were to move the driver's side rear view mirror about 12 inches lower on the car for the sake of appearances, do you think that would be ok or would you be concerned that this might be compromising safety for the sake of someone else's idea of aesthetics?

Mine works just as always going to full screen and at the top for the camera when car is put into reverse. Unless the camera is already open at bottom as an app. Then it doesn’t.
That's what I was trying to say... You can still go full screen by tapping the lower left icon that pops up but why not automate it? In what scenario would I need NAV up while in reverse??? I would almost consider this a bug but they pop the icon up so it was designed that why on purpose.

Reactions: tllt
Your profile says you're in Fort Worth so I'm going to assume you drive on the right. When you drive, do you not use your right arm on the steering wheel at all? Granted I'm assuming you're not missing your right arm or something. Do you ever look at the rear camera screen while driving?

If someone were to move the driver's side rear view mirror about 12 inches lower on the car for the sake of appearances, do you think that would be ok or would you be concerned that this might be compromising safety for the sake of someone else's idea of aesthetics?
That's what I was trying to say... You can still go full screen by tapping the lower left icon that pops up but why not automate it? In what scenario would I need NAV up while in reverse??? I would almost consider this a bug but they pop the icon up so it was designed that why on purpose.

That’s true. If it’s automatic in all the other scenarios then it would seem it should be automatic even if it was already up at bottom.
Maybe a good report to tesla will spark a simple change especially if others follow suit and say something as well.

Reactions: tllt