Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.6 8377b4d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had more accidents. Backup cameras have reduced backup accidents by 40%. Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes

Im sorry. You posted an article about using the camera for its actual use...For backing up, to support your claim that having the camera on at all times while driving forward? Not seeing how that supports the cause.

Im sorry. You posted an article about using the camera for its actual use...For backing up, to support your claim that having the camera on at all times while driving forward? Not seeing how that supports the cause.

Why does this need to be proven? Why are you against owners having the ability to choose to have a camera up? It literally has nothing to do with you or your opinion.

The Tesla email I received about V 9.0 (see below) specifically states to be on Wifi to improve your chances. My Model S is on strong WiFi at Home and at my Office too. I'm plugged in at both Locations as well & currently on 36.2

Be Patient I guess.

Oh and to the Marching Band Guys. You can press the Gas while in Auto Pilot. I do it for a second or two because I think it takes off to slow as well, then I let it take over once its going.

View attachment 341891
Yes, let's clarify that "Quickly" does not necessarily mean "sooner". The Tesla notice is a little ambiguous to understand. I called my buddy about this to get more info. The answer is what I expected. Yes, people do get the download a LOT faster (due to bandwidth) on WiFi, but he convinces me that it does not come any "sooner" in most cases. I understood that as of today, only about 25% of all cars have V9, so I guess a lot of folks just need to be patient.

And I also find myself hitting the "Gas" (accelerator) often while on AP. Usually it is when the car is slow to start off from a traffic light or when a car slows to take an an exit in front of me and the Tesla is slow to respond to picking up speed again.

The chances of getting a software quicker by being connected to Wi-Fi seems like utter smoke out your a*$ from Tesla. We have a 2017 Model S and a 2017 Model X . Both have rock solid Wi-Fi connections and are always connected as soon as we park in the garage. We have never not even once received software updates even on the same day. Most current example my car, S100D, received 2018.39.6 early Saturday morning around 3:00am. My wife's Model X parked right next to it and on the same Wi-Fi network has yet to receive .39 and that car is on the network much more than my car.

The statement by Tesla about "connected to Wi-Fi" is true ONLY if your car has already been magically selected for the update. The rest is purely and totally in Teslas' hands and their magical black 8 ball.

Picture example
88738626-6698-437D-8BB0-9DB97810AF7C.jpeg

Reactions: Bebop and chillaban
I’m still on 32.2, but I found that if I just barely tap the accelerator when the car ahead goes, then it behaves a lot better. Not automatic, but at least a workaround
It seems clear to me that this is a safety/caution behavior. Tesla's TACC is one of the only on the market that will restart after coming to a complete stop for more than a few seconds. For whatever reason, starting from a stop must be considered a risky proposition. Tapping the accelerator just a little does seem to instruct the car to resume a normal acceleration ramp.

The statement by Tesla about "connected to Wi-Fi" is true ONLY if your car has already been magically selected for the update. The rest is purely and totally in Teslas' hands and their magical black 8 ball.

This is absolutely correct. Connecting to wi-fi doesn't change your chances of being selected by Tesla for getting a limited-release update. However, IF you are selected, you do need wifi in order for the download to happen right away rather than waiting ~2 weeks.

The only way we know of to get yourself selected is to go in for a service appointment or convince Tesla service to "push" you an update.

The chances of getting a software quicker by being connected to Wi-Fi seems like utter smoke out your a*$ from Tesla. We have a 2017 Model S and a 2017 Model X . Both have rock solid Wi-Fi connections and are always connected as soon as we park in the garage. We have never not even once received software updates even on the same day. Most current example my car, S100D, received 2018.39.6 early Saturday morning around 3:00am. My wife's Model X parked right next to it and on the same Wi-Fi network has yet to receive .39 and that car is on the network much more than my car.

Picture example View attachment 341947

I think Tesla is covering the case of wi-fi vs spotty cell coverage. Yes, your car must be selected to get the update, but it must then be able to download the update.

Reactions: croman
It seems clear to me that this is a safety/caution behavior. Tesla's TACC is one of the only on the market that will restart after coming to a complete stop for more than a few seconds. For whatever reason, starting from a stop must be considered a risky proposition. Tapping the accelerator just a little does seem to instruct the car to resume a normal acceleration ramp.

This is absolutely correct. Connecting to wi-fi doesn't change your chances of being selected by Tesla for getting a limited-release update. However, IF you are selected, you do need wifi in order for the download to happen right away rather than waiting ~2 weeks.

The only way we know of to get yourself selected is to go in for a service appointment or convince Tesla service to "push" you an update.
I think Tesla is covering the case of wi-fi vs spotty cell coverage. Yes, your car must be selected to get the update, but it must then be able to download the update.

However some (a lot) of people mistakenly read that as "you will be more likely to be selected" It doesn't increase your chances of being selected which is where most of us get frustrated with Tesla.

BTW where is this Elon:

Elon Musk on Twitter

However some (a lot) of people mistakenly read that as "you will be more likely to be selected" It doesn't increase your chances of being selected which is where most of us get frustrated with Tesla.

BTW where is this Elon:

Elon Musk on Twitter

Right. Bottom line is: If you're on wifi for 10 minutes and nothing has happened in terms of traffic, it's not your time. There is nothing you can do to improve your chances unless you want to beg your service center (not recommended)

I totally agree we should be able to press the "push the latest firmware to me" button.

Reactions: StefanSarzio
It seems clear to me that this is a safety/caution behavior. Tesla's TACC is one of the only on the market that will restart after coming to a complete stop for more than a few seconds. For whatever reason, starting from a stop must be considered a risky proposition.

I think it’s because a non-moving car is difficult to distinguish from the background. These days Tesla does a good job of detecting them anyway, but if the car in front suddenly seemed to disappear, you need that lag period so the human can cancel the acceleration or you’re going to plow into it.

Reactions: animorph
I think it’s because a non-moving car is difficult to distinguish from the background. These days Tesla does a good job of detecting them anyway, but if the car in front suddenly seemed to disappear, you need that lag period so the human can cancel the acceleration or you’re going to plow into it.

Lane lines are also far less stable without motion. I guess that goes for object detection too — there's probably something about being in motion that helps their neural net design separate relevant objects from the background.

Reactions: ironwaffle
Uh, help me out on understanding this one. Isn't the radar making that decision and able to easily see that the large object in front of the car is moving and able to determine its distance and speed? Then confirmed it is a car by the camera?

Yes, but we're discussing being stopped behind a stopped car. Did that indication of sudden movement indicate the car actually speeding up, or was it a misread on the non-moving car? Or did the car just vanish into the background, and we're now reading the car in front of it?

Uh, help me out on understanding this one. Isn't the radar making that decision and able to easily see that the large object in front of the car is moving and able to determine its distance and speed? Then confirmed it is a car by the camera?

Radar when you have a lot of metal objects close by is veeeeery ghosty. Lots of shadowing, ghosting, and combining effects from the beam bouncing on multiple cars all going at low speeds.

It's the high speed motion of a car that makes radar signals easier to process because there can only be so many gigantic metal objects traveling at your speed.

Reactions: ironwaffle
Re: Steeringwheel heat.
Re: Help! I can't find steering heat and back seat heat...
Thanks @mongo and @croman for your help on that. Got it.
1. Touch the fan icon.
2. Touch the wavy lines tab on the far left of the screen.
I had been looking for what the manual calls a "seat tab", not a wavy line heat tab. And I imagined the tab would be on the top or the bottom. Why did I read the manual? Rebooting was a great idea. My brain needed rebooting. :)

What I find odd is that I cannot access the control to turn on the steering wheel heater without already having the HVAC fan running.
You can turn off the climate once the wheel/windshield is on.
Yes - that's the odd part. Now to turn on the steering wheel heater, you first need to turn on the heat to access the control, turn on the steering wheel heater, and then turn off the heat.