Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.7 9736c9b

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody else noticed the regression in auto climate control in V9? In V8 you could have it in a partially auto mode -- for example you could leave the vent selection (feet/head/both) on auto but override the fan speed. But now auto seems to be all-or-nothing; if you change any setting it drops the whole climate control system to manual.

I rather dislike this because my standard practice in the fall/spring (cool outside but not frigid) was to set the temperature quite low (60-64F) but disable the A/C compressor, in order to essentially disable the heater (due to having temperature low) without actually cooling the car to that level. But now when I try that trick it switches the whole system over to manual so I have to constantly tweak all the settings to be comfortable.
Yep I have the same complaint. In my case I do it when I have passengers as the airflow to the rear is so poor. I used to set airflow to be only vents and then close two or three of them to get more airflow to the back of the car while leaving all the rest of the functions on auto mode.

Reactions: rnortman
While I agree with that first statement of avoiding over the shoulder head movement if at close range to a vehicle in front, I'll just stick to the process that has worked for me for 50 years without incident. And that is to continue looking over my shoulder.

Perhaps I was not clear as to what "close range" means. At 65mph, an object covers almost 100 feet in one second. For reference, a Tesla Model S is about 17 feet in length. That's more than 5 "Tesla-lengths" covered in one second. If an object were to be stopped in your lane within 5 car lengths, you would hit it before you finished looking away from the road. If following from a reasonable distance (say, 3 seconds) and a vehicle in front of you slams on its brakes, there is a non-trivial probability to hit it by the time you finish looking away from the road and take action.

I'll leave that to you/readers to determine if that is a risk worth taking.

Also, be careful about reliance on anecdotal evidence, as that is not sufficient for inductive generalizations. Consider the 2-pack-a-day smoker who did so for 40 years and never developed cancer.

I can't count the number of times it has prevented me from hitting someone even with looking in the mirrors.

That really sounds like misconfigured mirrors. Try this exercise sometime on a freeway: watch as a vehicle comes to pass you or as you pass another vehicle, doesn't matter which side. You should be able to easily track that vehicle from your rear view mirror, to your side view mirror, and then to your peripheral vision without losing it at any point. At any time a vehicle is in transition, it should be visible in both boundary views (such as, the front of the vehicle should be clearly visible in your side view mirror as the rear of the vehicle is clearly visible leaving your rear view mirror). If you can't do this, then your mirrors need adjusting.

(The only exception to this is with motorcycles, which can sometimes be short enough to fit in the uncovered view.)

Man, the more I look at the new UI in 9, it feels like a downgrade. Model S/X is premium and should have a more "meaty" look and feel with more details utilizing the screen.

Also, using a meat analogy: It's like you paid for a tenderloin and you get it served, and in the middle of eating it, they take it away from you and serve you a pork chop.

The fixed bottom camera aside, the so-called "upgrade" / "update" is leading to fiddling more with the UI to get what you want thus leading to dangerous situations. Or you just have to drive to the side and park to do stuff in safe manner.

Seems like every new "feature" is a restriction these days. Only thing I do like is the merging of settings and control.

What app are you using to send directions from? I cannot see how to do this from within Waze.
On iPhone, if you don’t see the Tesla icon in Send to... options, scroll to the end. You should see three dots. Tap them, More Options menu should open. It will show additional Apps that could receive data. Tesla icon should be there. Select it. Then close that menu.

You now have Tesla icon in your Send to... choices.

Reactions: Helmuth
That really sounds like misconfigured mirrors.

Perhaps I explain. I doubt my mirrors are misconfigured. I keep my mirrors set to see the lane adjacent to me ok. I'm thinking of those situations where I was on a three lane interstate with me in the far right lane and another car in the far left lane and they changed into the middle lane suddenly in the blind spot. If I didn't look over the shoulder we would have merged into the middle lane together. They probably could have seen me coming in ahead of them, but not a change I was willing to take. Unless I have one of those wide angle truck mirrors, the ones on cars don't show 2 lanes of the blind spot.

With all due respect to those that rather not turn their head and like their way of driving, I won't change my methods after 50 years of something that works. :D Being a former Navy pilot, I'm pretty set in my ways of things I was trained. Fortunately it has worked ;)

edit: and oh yea, I should add that much of this over the shoulder habit probably does not come from my driver's ed training long ago. It comes from the training to look and see if a mig is on my tail and about to shoot at me :eek: A habit hard to break. These days, it probably equates to a drive by freeway shooting :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: RobK
Just two observations for V9 39.7. I haven't been tracking the changes for a while so this may not be new or if new, may have already been posted.

1. Lane change work on surface street. It didn't work before
2. I cannot force a lane change into the HOV lane if it is has a solid white or double yellow lines (as per the law)

Thoughts?

Yes, and something subtle I noticed is I have to press the brake pedal with much more force at at stop light (or similar stop) if I want to put the car into "hold" mode. Before this version, it didn't take much brake pressure to do it. For me, I prefer it to be the way is was previously.

Yes, and something subtle I noticed is I have to press the brake pedal with much more force at at stop light (or similar stop) if I want to put the car into "hold" mode. Before this version, it didn't take much brake pressure to do it. For me, I prefer it to be the way is was previously.
I think you are right. I never thought of that, now my car starts rolling, and I have to slam on the brakes. Before that force use to enable hold mode, not any more.

Does a double press engage hold mode? I'm trying to parse the manual (for a 3) "After coming to a complete stop, simply press the brake pedal again (until the touchscreen displays the Vehicle Hold indicator light) to enable Vehicle Hold."

seems like just installing tomato on an existing $30 router is easier?

Yes definitely Easier, but for my Needs I needed Wider Coverage. My House is very Wide and a $30 Router can't hit all the Corners.
So the Ubiquiti System allows me to have multiple Access Points. Otherwise my Tesla wouldn't have got a Signal.
Plus I need Strong Signal for having Alexa "Play Music Everywhere"

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 3.32.51 PM.png

Yes definitely Easier, but for my Needs I needed Wider Coverage. My House is very Wide and a $30 Router can't hit all the Corners.
So the Ubiquiti System allows me to have multiple Access Points. Otherwise my Tesla wouldn't have got a Signal.
Plus I need Strong Signal for having Alexa "Play Music Everywhere"

2nd this. I just got 2 UniFi AP-AC-LR in my house and the management system as shown in the screenshot (omitted in my post) is just out of this world.

Does a double press engage hold mode? I'm trying to parse the manual (for a 3) "After coming to a complete stop, simply press the brake pedal again (until the touchscreen displays the Vehicle Hold indicator light) to enable Vehicle Hold."
Just press the brake pedal hard to engage vehicle hold. I use it frequently in hills, or when stopped at red light on flat ground, so the car will stand still even when in Drive and Creep is on. Just hit the accelerator to get going again.

Reactions: mongo
Just press the brake pedal hard to engage vehicle hold. I use it frequently in hills, or when stopped at red light on flat ground, so the car will stand still even when in Drive and Creep is on. Just hit the accelerator to get going again.

Yah, that seems the normal way. I was just curious regarding the verbiage in the manual.... (and have no Tesla to test on)

2nd this. I just got 2 UniFi AP-AC-LR in my house and the management system as shown in the screenshot (omitted in my post) is just out of this world.

Kind of a side rail but how do you like the unifi setup? I've had coworkers rave about them, and I *really* want something not-cloud-based/not-Google, but I'm reluctant to take on managing an enterprise network device at home anymore... too many bad flashbacks to my ops days ;)

Kind of a side rail but how do you like the unifi setup? I've had coworkers rave about them, and I *really* want something not-cloud-based/not-Google, but I'm reluctant to take on managing an enterprise network device at home anymore... too many bad flashbacks to my ops days ;)

Bruce is going to move us to the other thread soon…. But if you want non cloud based AP style access points, Ruckus Unleashed is pretty awesome. The hardware and wifi codebase is absolutely enterprise grade and not reference board quality that you'd get from Ubiquiti, but the management UI is reasonably user friendly and not enterprise cumbersome.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: 10dot and outdoors
Haven’t gone through the whole thread but is the 39.7 firmware supposed to have the updated maps ? I have 2017 MS that I picked up last weekend and while I’ve updated to V9, the navigation on the instrument cluster is still the old version. Am I missing something ?