Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.7 9736c9b

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, I'm sick of you all with your tantalising stories of what we can't get. Come on Tesla, hurry up with the extensive validation and regulatory approval and just give the rest of the world V9 already! I have to stop following these threads :mad:
Note that none of us have autopilot by nav anywhere yet. I hope that will come out in a few months in some form, but it is a hard thing to get 100% right. The rest of v9 will not need that level of validation and certainly no regulatory issues.

Note that none of us have autopilot by nav anywhere yet. I hope that will come out in a few months in some form, but it is a hard thing to get 100% right. The rest of v9 will not need that level of validation and certainly no regulatory issues.
I'm aware there're no regulatory issues and that validation for other English speaking nations consists of... not sure. Hence sarcasm relating back to the original FSD advertisement... Even without drive on nav, there are many many autopilot enhancements that I'd like to have/try.

Reactions: StefanSarzio
Can anyone confirm if we can now turn on rear heated seats, heated steering wheel or heated wipers without having to turn on climate control in 39.7

Maybe it’s me but with 39.6 it seems impossible to get to the cold weather package menu without activating the climate control. Which in auto means cycling the AC unit

Can anyone confirm if we can now turn on rear heated seats, heated steering wheel or heated wipers without having to turn on climate control in 39.7

Maybe it’s me but with 39.6 it seems impossible to get to the cold weather package menu without activating the climate control. Which in auto means cycling the AC unit
Do you actually drive in cold whether without climate on? Seems like a recipe for fogging all the windows?

It’s actually recommended to use seat warmers instead of turning on the hvac to save battery.
Yes, but all the windows freeze or fog down until you don't see anything as soon as you breathe. I always keep climate and AC on, summer and winter. I have a Tesla, enough battery anyway so I don't save.

Most of the time you just turn down the temperature on the HVAC a few degrees if you really need the last 3% of power to get to the destination.

Yes, but all the windows freeze or fog down until you don't see anything as soon as you breathe. I always keep climate and AC on, summer and winter. I have a Tesla, enough battery anyway so I don't save.

Most of the time you just turn down the temperature on the HVAC a few degrees if you really need the last 3% of power to get to the destination.

Owned an EV for almost 5 years in Chicago. We know cold. While sometimes you can fog up a car in cold humid conditions, that is very rare in truly cold areas. I rarely use HVAC in winter and using it contributes to fog more than refraining. Below 0F and I usually relent on turning on the heat. If my wife is present that jumps to 25F.

Seat heat and most importantly steering heat direct the heat where it's most appreciated. No need to waste energy heating the air.

Since I'm a relatively new (~1.5 month) model S owner my perspective on 39.7 (which I just got the other night) might be a little different than many. I also write software for a living, though I am by no means a designer/UX expert I've done enough GUI work to have a reasonably informed opinion on the topic.

To me, the new UI is a huge improvement overall:
  • it's visually cleaner and nicer looking all around
  • a clearly defined button to see/switch apps is far better UX than touching a nebulously defined top portion of the screen while driving
  • I'm fairly tall and sit pretty far back, so I actually have to reach to touch the top of the screen; having apps on the bottom is a HUGE improvement in usability for me
  • settings vs. controls confusion replaced with a unified interface - big UX improvement
  • the IC surround display is actually useful now; before it was really just a gimmick that was occasionally useful when the emergency sound + red car alerted you to stop... now it does a fantastic job of assisting (the admittedly very limited) rear/blindspot visibility
  • my music album art is actually working reliably, whereas before I had to reboot the MCU every day or so when it got "stuck"
With a few downsides:
  • the apps really need to remember the size they were last used in; having the music constantly pop up at 30% is annoying
  • there still doesn't appear to be an easy way for music to be off when you get in the car... it shouldn't be difficult to restore music state or set a default of 'off'
  • dashcam is nice to have but is very unpolished; my hope is it can be improved in software and some of the annoyances (like 1min clips with dead space) aren't due to workarounds of hardware limitations
I haven't played with autopilot much on the highway, but I did get to test it on a twisty ravine road by the lake last night where it previously wouldn't even let me engage auto steer. There were a couple of aggressively sharp turns where it gave up and I had to take control (3 times on a ~10 mile drive), but they were basically hairpins. Everywhere else it was honestly shockingly good. As others have noted it feels much more confident.

Overall I love it. I can understand how someone who spent years with the old split screen style might get cranky with it, but looking at the 2 side by side and having basically no time to get "attached" to the old way it's a vast improvement in almost every way.

Owned an EV for almost 5 years in Chicago. We know cold. While sometimes you can fog up a car in cold humid conditions, that is very rare in truly cold areas. I rarely use HVAC in winter and using it contributes to fog more than refraining. Below 0F and I usually relent on turning on the heat. If my wife is present that jumps to 25F.

Seat heat and most importantly steering heat direct the heat where it's most appreciated. No need to waste energy heating the air.

Please elaborate on your no heat regimen... I can't survive 5 minutes in the car without heat - especially below about 30 degrees. I tried last year... it sucked. In fact, at one point I was coming back from Indianapolis on a sub-zero day, and I was getting range anxiety. I turned off all the heat and only used the seat heaters and steering wheel heat, and still froze my ass off. Couldn't feel my toes. Sidenote, I had to stop at a Nissan dealership in Merrillville for a couple of hours to add enough range to get to the Country Club Hills Supercharger, and still didn't make it... that was a rough day.

Reactions: ChrML
Do you actually drive in cold whether without climate on? Seems like a recipe for fogging all the windows?

I do, and no problem fogging up windows, but that may be due to the fact that in Sparks / Reno area up here in the high desert, the humidity is about 1/3 of what it is in most other places. 10% humidity is typical. Or maybe there is another reason they don't fog up. It sure saves on the battery to not turn on the air unless it is unusually cold or hot. Even then, I only need it for a few minutes.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

I read in a prior post that you need to turn on climate control to use the cold weather package. After you turn on the heated steering wheel or seats, the post said that you can turn off the climate control and the cold weather package stays on.

Please elaborate on your no heat regimen... I can't survive 5 minutes in the car without heat - especially below about 30 degrees. I tried last year... it sucked. In fact, at one point I was coming back from Indianapolis on a sub-zero day, and I was getting range anxiety. I turned off all the heat and only used the seat heaters and steering wheel heat, and still froze my ass off. Couldn't feel my toes. Sidenote, I had to stop at a Nissan dealership in Merrillville for a couple of hours to add enough range to get to the Country Club Hills Supercharger, and still didn't make it... that was a rough day.

I wear my hunting boots which are insulated and a coat and a steel hard conviction that it's not actually cold. My wife doesn't share my delusion. My 3yo daughter is usually ok for less than an hour drives. I find my Tesla is way more drafty than my leaf and so I get cold feet without good boots.

Reactions: ahkahn
I wear my hunting boots which are insulated and a coat and a steel hard conviction that it's not actually cold. My wife doesn't share my delusion. My 3yo daughter is usually ok for less than an hour drives. I find my Tesla is way more drafty than my leaf and so I get cold feet without good boots.

Now that makes sense... You would think with the battery being right under your feet that they wouldn't get so cold, but unfortunately it does get pretty darn drafty inside during the winter...

Reactions: croman
I read in a prior post that you need to turn on climate control to use the cold weather package. After you turn on the heated steering wheel or seats, the post said that you can turn off the climate control and the cold weather package stays on.

True. With 8.1 one could turn on just the heated steering wheel with 3 button presses. Now, it takes 5.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Spending more time with recently installed v9:

- I've seen 5 lanes just in the right side of my lane (I was in the most left lane on a 6 lane freeway)! Pretty impressive. Wondering if it can show 11 lanes in total (5 on each side of my lane). I just need to find such freeway...

- On a twisted ramp (from Bloor to DVP north) the v9 autosteer is now actually better than 36.2: it was driving this twisty ramp more confident: before it was always almost hit a curb in one specific place (never actually did, but always scary). Now it was driving with no problem. Also, it was driving faster than before on this twisty portion (before it was slowing down to about 40 km/h and now it was driving at about 50). In addition to that it seems that AP is keeping the car in the inner part of the lane in turns vs always at a center as before.