Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The more I've used the new HVAC controls, the less I like them. It's too easy to accidentally move the vent direction when trying to change any of the controls (like fan speed, re circulation) or swipe down to close it and then putz around with setting it back. It's also interesting that if you want to aim either side towards the center of the car, it forces the airflow to split. I don't know if it always did that before and it just didnt display as such?

As others have noted, it's harder to tell if it is heating or cooling, especially in this time of year when it seems particularly finicky.

The new graphics are cool, but I think a representation of where the air is hitting the driver/passenger makes more sense then where it is pointing out of the dash.

It would be neat if the fan icon in the bottom bar was outlined red or blue to signify if AC or heat was on at that time

So I don’t know if it’s just me being impatient but I feel like the Model 3 update has been slower than usual updates. Only like 6 model 3’s got the update so far from Yesterday. 2 of which was today and it was to 39.6.1 so I’m pretty confused. Maybe they found a bug.

This is according to Teslafi which is the best representation we have.

Exactly, and I'm glad they are, much as I'd like the new features. Aside from the inconvenience if there are issues, just imagine the headlines - "Tesla bricks vehicles with OTA update" - overnight it would just be more troll and short ammunition for why Tesla sucks. We don't need more food for the morons. Trickling is a very smart risk-management move.

An even better method would be to properly test the update before pushing it out instead of "only bricking a small number of vehicles".

So I don’t know if it’s just me being impatient but I feel like the Model 3 update has been slower than usual updates. Only like 6 model 3’s got the update so far from Yesterday. 2 of which was today and it was to 39.6.1 so I’m pretty confused. Maybe they found a bug.

This is according to Teslafi which is the best representation we have.

It's going extremely slow compared to the Model S/X.

Teslafi is international so there are lots of vehicles outside of North America subscribed to it. Those cars don't even get V9 (aside from hackers), but the install rate for Model S/X is pretty high despite this.

With the Model 3 there are no cars outside of North America, but the install rate is really small. It's only around 18 vehicles out of 850+.

My hunch is they are being extremely careful, and doing a very slow rollout. It also seems slower than it really is because there are just so many Model 3's. So it's likely that #'s wise a lot of people are getting it, but not percentage wise.

It's going extremely slow compared to the Model S/X.

Teslafi is international so there are lots of vehicles outside of North America subscribed to it. Those cars don't even get V9 (aside from hackers), but the install rate for Model S/X is pretty high despite this.

With the Model 3 there are no cars outside of North America, but the install rate is really small. It's only around 18 vehicles out of 850+.

My hunch is they are being extremely careful, and doing a very slow rollout. It also seems slower than it really is because there are just so many Model 3's. So it's likely that #'s wise a lot of people are getting it, but not percentage wise.
I agree but I’ve tracked previous updates from Teslafi and Model 3 has never been this slow. I know what you’re saying but even on the threads there aren’t many people reporting the updates. They shouldn’t have tweeted that V9 is now being released to the entire fleet. Everyone is expecting to get it right now.

I agree but I’ve tracked previous updates from Teslafi and Model 3 has never been this slow. I know what you’re saying but even on the threads there aren’t many people reporting the updates. They shouldn’t have tweeted that V9 is now being released to the entire fleet. Everyone is expecting to get it right now.

No update in my entire Tesla owning experience dating back to 2015 has been this slow.

I'm okay with the tweets/blog/email/etc, but they should have advised people the rollout would take weeks, and not days. That would have saved them from a massive number of calls, and it would have saved the customer from worrying that something was wrong on their end.

From a Technica standpoint it makes perfect sense to do a slow rollout for V9 because so much can go wrong. It uses so much more hardware than the previous versions. So any issue is going to mean a service or ranger visit.

So that part I'm totally cool with it, but once again they have terrible customer communication.

Their customer communication is so horrific, and over the top that they can't even get simple things right.

Like the Model 3 was one of the safest cars ever tested by the NHTSA, but then Tesla had to go and say it was the safest ever. So now we have to deal with news that the NHTSA is pushing back on that statement.

I don’t mean everyone is expecting it at once, I meant expect is without a long wait. It’s a big update, one of which got teased a lot and tweeted about it’s release.
If it shows up in a week, my expectations will be fully met.
But then I live in Tesla time

And if it takes longer due to bugs, well, such is the life of a software consumer.

• Disagree
Reactions: Parebal0 and YusufT
I agree that the HVAC changes could use some additional adjustment. I miss being able to combine or split the air streams the way you could with the previous version. Also I would love if they could add the ability to completely shut off air flow to the front passenger seat. This may not be possible though with the way the vents are designed. Many times my wife will just want the vents off on her side and the only way to sort of accomplish this is to move the air flow all the way to the top corners.