Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that these updates are usually downloaded during the evening. Has anyone here had the update downloaded (not installed) during the day? I'm worried I might be missing out because I can only connect my Tesla to WiFi while I'm at work during the day.
All the time. I only have WiFi during the day but that usually means the night I get selected, I’ll get the firmware download the next day

It seems that these updates are usually downloaded during the evening. Has anyone here had the update downloaded (not installed) during the day? I'm worried I might be missing out because I can only connect my Tesla to WiFi while I'm at work during the day.

My guess is most people get the updates at night as that is when they are connected to WiFi. Also, once you get selected, the car will wait until you are connected to WiFi to download so even if you get selected at 2:00 am without WiFi, once you get to work, it will download the update (and once downloaded, you can always install at home even if you are not on WiFi).

Got the 39.7 update last night. My observations so far, improved auto pilot especially around smooth breaking, head up option in addition to north up in maps, web browser with decent load time, and able to send destination address from google maps on my Samsung S9+ directly to 3.

My guess is most people get the updates at night as that is when they are connected to WiFi. Also, once you get selected, the car will wait until you are connected to WiFi to download so even if you get selected at 2:00 am without WiFi, once you get to work, it will download the update (and once downloaded, you can always install at home even if you are not on WiFi).
When I got the notification that a new update is available, it already downloaded it. When I choose apply it now, it just applied it. Overall took under 10 min.s to complete update.

Finally got v9 last night (ironically as I was reading about delayed v9 updates on the forum) and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I'm assuming everyone is now seeing the traffic around you sliding/wiggling quite a bit while it re-calibrates? I had a semi-truck slide through my car while I was driving around at lunch, as well as had stationary cars sliding into my lane at a stoplight.

My question to the group is - are you seeing improvements as time goes by, and if so, what kind of time/mileage are we talking about? A buddy up at work (90D) has had it for a couple of days and says it hasn't improved for him (60 - 80 miles of drive since the update). He even reported the display showing an 18 wheeler pulling up next to him while he was parking it in his garage.

I gotta admit - watching a ghost car sideswipe me is unsettling at times. :eek:

When I got the notification that a new update is available, it already downloaded it. When I choose apply it now, it just applied it. Overall took under 10 min.s to complete update.

From my last two updates - looking at TeslaFi and my router information - Tesla woke my car up during the night, right after that I could see the download on my router and then the time stamp on my app notice the update was available was shortly after the download completed.

New HVAC UI is slick!

This button placement is very bad UX IMO. :(. I loath the moving of the buttons to the sides.

Don't get why they didn't break the middle of the dash representation and put the button cluster there with the vent controls a bit further out. It's so unnatural to active the pop-up from the Fan icon on the bottom only to have to move way left or right (visually and with your hand).

Further, when I do use those buttons the ones I use at the same time are now split way far apart. Uggg.

Overly slavish to the dashboard representation. I like the air flow visualization a lot better, just hope they fix this brutal button placement and bring back some colour or other indication to let me know when the heater is engaged. Nothing saps range like an resistive heating. I definitely want to know if what I've done is triggering that.

This button placement is very bad UX IMO. :(. I loath the moving of the buttons to the sides.

Don't get why they didn't break the middle of the dash representation and put the button cluster there with the vent controls a bit further out. It's so unnatural to active the pop-up from the Fan icon on the bottom only to have to move way left or right (visually and with your hand).

Further, when I do use those buttons the ones I use at the same time are now split way far apart. Uggg.

Overly slavish to the dashboard representation. I like the air flow visualization a lot better, just hope they fix this brutal button placement and bring back some colour or other indication to let me know when the heater is engaged. Nothing saps range like an resistive heating. I definitely want to know if what I've done is triggering that.
I think they should have left the map buttons on the left, and simply put the directions immediately to the right of the buttons. This would result in nearly the same location for directions (being only 1/2" or so further away) and give us both more easily read navigation instructions and easily reached buttons. I'd also like to see the settings button moved up to the top somewhere so that I don't have to totally hide the music interface to get to it ...

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
If TeslaFi didn't show their subscriptions, I could almost agree.

Model3310 - 585
Model3310D - 309

Based on the sample size of TeslaFi, it has a margin of error of 2.3% with a 99% confidence level. Their statistics are significantly better than almost every poll conducted (and I'm not referring to just Tesla polls).
The CI is only accurate assuming this was a random sample. We know that this is not. This is a type 1 error. Ergo, can’t make inferences to population.

Yes, this is valid point..Tesla def doesn't do themselves any favors by the lack of transparency into the update process.
The favour they do for themselves; More fluidity in refining/changing their process, rather than being tied down to what they've officially told their customers.
Net benefit on this being positive or negative is in question but there is still a clear positive buried in there.

Reactions: mhan00
One change or bug (not sure yet). The navigation volume control used to be at the top of the directions with an integer scale. Now it’s in the settings icon at the bottom with a continuous slider. Problem is it’s almost impossible to adjust that while driving. Instead of just tapping along the slider, you have to precisely hit the +/- icons to move it and it increments slowly. Bring back the easy to use integer scale!!!!

One change or bug (not sure yet). The navigation volume control used to be at the top of the directions with an integer scale. Now it’s in the settings icon at the bottom with a continuous slider. Problem is it’s almost impossible to adjust that while driving. Instead of just tapping along the slider, you have to precisely hit the +/- icons to move it and it increments slowly. Bring back the easy to use integer scale!!!!

just use the regular volume control while navigation is reading a direction. It adjust the nav volume instead of music

Wow that's brutal. It's like the HVAC UI got redesigned by someone who has never driven the car--or any car. Not all of us use auto mode all the time because it often sucks (or more appropriately, it blows). Now if I want to manually trigger between AC and the fan only, recirculated or outside air, and the rear blower(?) I have to reach clear across the screen to an area I never previously had to touch? And who thought moving the power button so far away from button that opens HVAC controls was a good idea? This is change for change's sake again and doesn't look better at all.