Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla wall charger is higher. The NEMA 14-50 was reduced to 30amp a couple years ago.

NEMA 14-50 is a plug type. It indicates a 50Amp rating. Current Model S onboard charger is standard 48A. HIgher end models or those with upgrades, can have a variety of configurations. Older cars had 40A/80A dual charger option. Some cars have 48A/72A high amp charger option (100D and P100D now come standard with 72A high amp charger).

The power supplied to the EVSE determines the charge rate. Some EVSEs can only handle 30A (on 40A circuits). Technically the max on a 40A circuit is 32A (which is what the Bolt maxes out at).

Now, the version 2 mobile connector does max out at 32A now but version 1 of the UMC was capable of 48A (which requires a 60A circuit). I charge my car at 32A even though I could do 40A because I rarely need anything faster for overnight charging but the car is capable and my circuit is capable of delivering up to 40A to my car safely (on a 50Amp circuit, with a NEMA 14-50 outlet).

NEMA 14-50 is a plug type. It indicates a 50Amp rating. Current Model S onboard charger is standard 48A. HIgher end models or those with upgrades, can have a variety of configurations. Older cars had 40A/80A dual charger option. Some cars have 48A/72A high amp charger option (100D and P100D now come standard with 72A high amp charger).

The power supplied to the EVSE determines the charge rate. Some EVSEs can only handle 30A (on 40A circuits). Technically the max on a 40A circuit is 32A (which is what the Bolt maxes out at).

Now, the version 2 mobile connector does max out at 32A now but version 1 of the UMC was capable of 48A (which requires a 60A circuit). I charge my car at 32A even though I could do 40A because I rarely need anything faster for overnight charging but the car is capable and my circuit is capable of delivering up to 40A to my car safely (on a 50Amp circuit, with a NEMA 14-50 outlet).
Yeah, I had the one that was 30-32amp. Looked at my phone today and it was going at 40a

I'm curious, any of you who got upgraded to 40 lodge any complaints about 39 via executive escalation? I'm not super concerned at this point as it sounds like 40 does even less than 39 and doesn't really fix much of anything, just wondering if there was any "selective upgrading" to 40.

I’m hoping it’s the dashcam fix we’ve been waiting for. I’ve given up reformatting the usb daily.
What is the size of your USB stick? I had a 64GB one at my wife's Model X and had to reformat or fix almost every other drive. I got the update on my Model 3, installed a 16GB there and no problems at all. Did the same for my wife's and it is working like a charm for a week now.

What is the size of your USB stick? I had a 64GB one at my wife's Model X and had to reformat or fix almost every other drive. I got the update on my Model 3, installed a 16GB there and no problems at all. Did the same for my wife's and it is working like a charm for a week now.
Interesting. I ordered a 32gb stick but it hasn’t arrived so I’ve been using just an old 4gb usb I had laying around. Worked for a day or so and then stopped. I have fixed it a couple times this week. But it’s stopped again.
BTW. I don’t start and stop it when entering and exiting the car like others have suggested as a workaround fix.

• Funny
Reactions: 1375mlm and dailo
But does it still play my favourite song: "Loading Error by Tesla"?
Phantom music playing loading error of the night ... so ... beautiful
3AB7D757-8717-4DEB-88F7-80063595C037.jpeg