Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if it's technically possible to implement a "drive on Nav" feature for AP1 cars that's essentially equivalent to what AP2/AP2.5 cars can do with 2018.42.x (according to the Electrek article), where the car plans your lane changes for you, but you have to initiate the actual lane change. It seems that it just would need the path planning and display parts of this feature, which shouldn't be too different on AP1 than on AP2/AP2.5. This would have the benefit of improved lane guidance on the IC, over what AP1 users currently get.

Bruce.
I wonder the same thing. I would seem that any features tied to NAV or that involve only the front main camera (i.e., most interstate highway driving) could be implemented. This would include what you suggest, plus things like slowing on exit ramps. Any maybe one day they will address the hill cresting issue.

But my fear is that the further the AP1 and AP2 code bases diverge, the less likely it is that these updates will follow in lockstep.

That "hacker guy" is @wk057 and yes but he's more than a software hacker. But v9 is doing a lot more than you seem to appreciate but we know your agenda doesn't allow you to be objective.
It's been said before, but I wish Tesla had a much more open development environment. I don't need code and emulators (would be nice, though), but something a little more like iRobot's approach to Roomba hacking would be good. (And no, nobody needs to point out how robot vacuums and cars are different.)
More insight as to what's happening and what's coming would foster more good will not only between company and customers, but apparently within the forums as well. Tesla is under no obligation; I'm just saying I would love it.

• Love
Reactions: croman
I wonder the same thing. I would seem that any features tied to NAV or that involve only the front main camera (i.e., most interstate highway driving) could be implemented. This would include what you suggest, plus things like slowing on exit ramps. Any maybe one day they will address the hill cresting issue.

But my fear is that the further the AP1 and AP2 code bases diverge, the less likely it is that these updates will follow in lockstep.

An AP1 friend of mine has the same concern. The way I see it, even if updates down the road don't follow lockstep, I do believe Elon when he says he'll never forget the early adopters, and so by extension I feel he'll continue to push his engineers to continually improve the AP1s in whatever increments possible.

I was wondering if it's technically possible to implement a "drive on Nav" feature for AP1 cars that's essentially equivalent to what AP2/AP2.5 cars can do with 2018.42.x (according to the Electrek article), where the car plans your lane changes for you, but you have to initiate the actual lane change. It seems that it just would need the path planning and display parts of this feature, which shouldn't be too different on AP1 than on AP2/AP2.5. This would have the benefit of improved lane guidance on the IC, over what AP1 users currently get.

Bruce.

You can very easily. What AP2 V9 is doing is very simplistic.
Didn't that hacker guy do something similar with the ultrasonics?

What you guys keep forgetting is that AP1 cars do not have the higher precision GPS that the AP2 cars received, in order to definitively know which lane you are in. Also, AP1 cars do not have the wide angle camera to be able to identify precisely which lane you are in. Nor do we have the rear facing cameras to cross reference with to determine exactly which lane we are in. In summary, AP1 doesn't know which lane you are in. So, it would be just as it is now; where it displays on the IC which lane it suggests for you to be in, because it doesn't know if you are already in that lane or not.

I want to dream big too, but I don't want my dreams so big, as to always be disappointed due to reality.

What you guys keep forgetting is that AP1 cars do not have the higher precision GPS that the AP2 cars received, in order to definitively know which lane you are in. Also, AP1 cars do not have the wide angle camera to be able to identify precisely which lane you are in. Nor do we have the rear facing cameras to cross reference with to determine exactly which lane we are in. In summary, AP1 doesn't know which lane you are in. So, it would be just as it is now; where it displays on the IC which lane it suggests for you to be in, because it doesn't know if you are already in that lane or not.

I want to dream big too, but I don't want my dreams so big, as to always be disappointed due to reality.
I don’t have gps but I know what lane I am in. I can do it by looking out of the window, mich like the camera does. I would be really worried if it relies on gps to know the lane it’s in!

I don’t have gps but I know what lane I am in. I can do it by looking out of the window, mich like the camera does. I would be really worried if it relies on gps to know the lane it’s in!
Clearly you only read one sentence.... :rolleyes:

Tell ya what... Next you're out driving around on the freeway with 5-7 lanes, how about you hold your head and eyes perfectly straight ahead, and don't forget a set of blinders to reduce your field of vision to 50 degrees, and then let us know how well you can be confident in which lane you're in. ;)

Last edited:
The issue is: removing functionality that was a selling point when purchasing a $150k car.

Is that a typo, an exaggeration, or a real price you paid? I am confused. I got the X100 with most of the options, tax, license, registration, etc. and it was at least $25,000 less. What costs 150k?

Not disputing your point, just the sticker shock that got my attention.

• Helpful
Reactions: Azathoth
Is that a typo, an exaggeration, or a real price you paid? I am confused. I got the X100 with most of the options, tax, license, registration, etc. and it was at least $25,000 less. What costs 150k?

Full loaded Model S P100D with every options is $152500 + tax + license + delivery.

2015 Model S P90DL, fully loaded (minus rear facing seats, and cold weather pkg), $142k plus 7.5% tax, came to ~$!52k.
A current Model X P100D fully loaded is $159k + tax, which here would be $171k.

Welllll..... that was the total amount of money Tesla asked me to give them before they would give me the car, soooo, I kinda figure that is the price of the car, no? ;)
No, that’s money Tesla has to collect on behalf of the state you live in for benefits that the state provides. And most of the markup on the P and Ludicrous models have nothing to do with the touchscreen and all the more to do with the performance of the drivetrain.... if they pushed an update that made Ludicrous mode slow down to a base model, I would see things more your way.