Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.12.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had almost the identical experience if you check my previous post. Tesla clained it's an AP fluke failure that needs a service visit. Our cars are simmilar in 2016 AP 2.0 so I wonder if this is demonstrating a trend.

I've been dealing with the same thing on the highway since 2019.8.5/6. AP deactivates every half mile or so, so using it is entirely useless. I basically can't use AP anymore and I have a road trip down to Florida in 2 weeks. I'm pretty upset about this, as it breaks a major feature of the car.

I had set up a service appointment last week to look at the radar (still on 2019.8.6 at that point), but got a phone call to cancel it. They pulled the logs and claimed it was due to the lane lines being too thin. That doesn't make sense because I'm finding this occurs on freshly paved and painted areas of the highway (I-75 in Atlanta). But I have someone coming tomorrow morning to do the recalled airbag swap, so I'll grill them about it.

Interestingly, I can't reproduce it on surface streets. It only occurs on highways. There seems to be correlation with bridges and overpasses, but it's not consistent. It is quite frustrating!

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
For Model S owners out there, I just upgraded to 2019.12.1.1 (which some erroneously seem to be calling 2019.12.11). AP2/MCU1 model S. Now when I get in the car and start a drive, the existing audio source turns on when I turn off "pause" (either with the screen or steering wheel scroll wheel), but there is no sound coming out of the speakers. If I was set to a USB or streaming audio, the display shows the song playing (count up timer clicking off and moving along the slider bar) but no audio. Only way to start audio, regardless of what audio source the car was in when parked, is to shift audio sources. Then everything works normally. Submitted a bug report. Anyone else seeing this behavior?
Have some additional data points. When in park, if you change the audio source and get things working normally, shifting to drive (forward or reverse) causes audio to stop playing (regardless of source). Only way to get things working is a shift in audio source. Certainly appears to have something to do with the MCU's ability to process a shift. At first I thought it was just shifting to reverse (which brings up the rear camera view which might add to MCU load, but I have confirmed it happens regardless of if you put car in forward or reverse. Anyone else seeing this issue?

This was brought up in another thread when 2019.12 first came out. I had changing “gears” stopped audio problem and it made me crazy. Out of desperation I rebooted everything and it hasn’t come back. I’ve since moved to 2019.12.1.1 and it’s still fine. Not saying a reboot will definitely fix it, but that’s what cleared it for me. — Dan

Have some additional data points. When in park, if you change the audio source and get things working normally, shifting to drive (forward or reverse) causes audio to stop playing (regardless of source). Only way to get things working is a shift in audio source. Certainly appears to have something to do with the MCU's ability to process a shift. At first I thought it was just shifting to reverse (which brings up the rear camera view which might add to MCU load, but I have confirmed it happens regardless of if you put car in forward or reverse. Anyone else seeing this issue?

I also am experiencing this issue on my Dec 2016 P100D. They also still have not fixed the issues re audio playing in the background on my iPhone X or Bluetooth connection issues when making calls (to get audio on my end, I must change the scroll wheel volume when initiating the call).

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I've been dealing with the same thing on the highway since 2019.8.5/6. AP deactivates every half mile or so, so using it is entirely useless. I basically can't use AP anymore and I have a road trip down to Florida in 2 weeks. I'm pretty upset about this, as it breaks a major feature of the car.

I had set up a service appointment last week to look at the radar (still on 2019.8.6 at that point), but got a phone call to cancel it. They pulled the logs and claimed it was due to the lane lines being too thin. That doesn't make sense because I'm finding this occurs on freshly paved and painted areas of the highway (I-75 in Atlanta). But I have someone coming tomorrow morning to do the recalled airbag swap, so I'll grill them about it.

Interestingly, I can't reproduce it on surface streets. It only occurs on highways. There seems to be correlation with bridges and overpasses, but it's not consistent. It is quite frustrating!

For the past week I've been trying to get a clear answer. I'm also getting the feeling service doesn't want to touch this. They (service) are taking days to respond to emails and texts about the issue. We also have a backpacking trip planned in a week several hundred miles away. At this point it looks like we are taking the 2011 ICE because it will at least have cruise control. :mad:

I have a perfect POV video of these issues but it's on an old Google Glass and It's a nightmare ripping the videos off of it.

When I had a Google Glass I posted the videos to YouTube directly from the Glass, then you can download them from there.
It still wants to send them to the now-defunct Google+ api and the account sign in API wont let me change accounts. I used to use the ADB utility to move them over usb to the local box but I can't get drivers for the device on Win 10. If you have any other tips feel free to DM.

Still getting frequent “vehicle connection errors” on my Model S on 2019.12.1.2. Though they have subsided on our Model 3 since the 2019.12.1.2 update.
B4C61CBA-8948-4D45-8DA9-4C875DDCA48D.jpeg

I installed 12.1.1 few days ago and today was the first time I tried AP since. All of the sudden the car started slowing down to less than 50 mph when TACC set to 65 mph. No cars in front of me and no curvature of the highway. I pressed the accelerator to increase the speed and all of the sudden I got then “red hands on steering wheel alarm and “cruise not available” message. After that neither TACC nor autosteer were available. Rebooted MCU and power cycled the car without benefit. When I hit some traffic later on, both TACC and autosteer were available again then then the same problem occurred later at higher speeds.

Anyone else experienced this with the new update? I have never had this issue with this car (Dec 2016, AP 2.0, MCU1). Thx.

I have had the exact same issue. Dec 2016 P100D. Autopilot isn't even usable for 15 seconds, though. The car immediately begins to slow down when I engage TACC or Autosteer. There have been a couple of instances where it will engage, work for a few seconds and then gradually slow down 10+ mph.

Just as you mentioned, I have had several "cruise not available" alerts and several "take over immediately" messages when I have not ignored the alerts and I am the only car on the road.

Very frustrating.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
I recently noticed there is an issue with sorting caused by 2019.12.1.1 where songs on my USB music drive are no longer alphabetically sorted properly. Every prior firmware version did not exhibit this behavior.

The folders on the drive are still sorted properly and songs where I've prefixed the track names with 01, 02, 03, etc. to force an order (like symphonies, operas, etc.) those are still sorted just fine. But for playlists with just alphabetic song titles, it's totally random.

Anybody else notice this?

Typical TESLA non-testing. Yes audio is totally screwed up with skipping when streaming or USB. Jesus, do they test anything???
It's really not getting better is it and for me the frightening thing is the number of people on here that still trust AP, why?
Having USB music skipping or streaming music issues is annoying at worst, being smashed in the rear because of phantom breaking on a freeway...that is unforgivable.

I don’t believe so. On the S & X. The stalk has priority as I believe it should.
You select service mode, it enables service mode but NOTHING HAPPENS. This a blatant UX design bug.

Having the wiper control take priority over service mode makes ZERO sense. This is just nuts. But hey, maybe you're related to the developer at Tesla that implemented this feature?

You select service mode, it enables service mode but NOTHING HAPPENS. This a blatant UX design bug.

Having the wiper control take priority over service mode makes ZERO sense. This is just nuts. But hey, maybe you're related to the developer at Tesla that implemented this feature?
Ok,
Thought this was obvious. Not all drivers are Tesla experts. For example. A husband, who always washes his wife’s car, puts the wipers in service mode before leaving town, but forgets to turn it off in the menu which now has priority because some shortsighted guy on TMC convinced Tesla to change it. His wife gets in the car and backs out of the driveway. She has no idea how to get it out of service mode. She turns the wiper controls on the stalk with no success. Suddenly there’s a downpour and long story short, she is killed in a head-on collision. At the gravesite, her husband shakes his fist in the air yelling “damn that AWDtsla dude on TMC. If it weren’t for him she’d still be here.”