Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2020.48.26.x update, font size problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the much hyped holiday update and so far a bit disappointed. The updated FSD visualization is kinda cool but not crazy about how the speed and other fonts have “shrunk”. Hoping they fix this as there is tons of room in the driver display

My belief is that this UI redesign is a scaffolding for newer features coming next year. Yes, product managers sometimes will create UI redesigns just for change sake (to make it feel “fresh”), but more often it comes as a pre-cursor to a roadmap that requires it.

I like aspects of the new redesign, and others I don’t. I expect to see two things in 2021 just based on my experience in the software industry:
  1. Refinement of the redesign
  2. New features that explain the reason for the change

You might build a UI to have patterns that can accommodate your future roadmap, but those shouldn't sacrifice your in-market usability.

I think the UI is suffering from a very classic Tesla problem: they're too far out in front of themselves. The 3/Y is the physical manifestation of this. Its minimalist design was all based on the design principles of not having to pay attention to driving. Two taps to open glove box -- no big deal, the car is driving for you. Should we put in that $0.05 rain sensor for the wipers? Of course not, ML can do it! Tiny map? Who needs it, car's navigating for you.

They're building products with tech in mind that won't come for years. It's both what I love and hate about the brand. That type of dreaming really does spark hyper-innovation, but it can also cause you to make some ill-conceived choices through rose colored glasses.

I agree. Auto-park, rain-sensing wipers, auto-headlight…but you know I’ve also owned a lot of cars from quite a few brands and I see that in a lot of places. I’m probably a lot more forgiving of design choices having been in that spot of having a vision/roadmap and having to release it in stages.

Personally, I like these new changes. For me I feel like the UI is actually an improvement, except I would like to see the font used for the speed being larger.

For example before this update I was doing a quick test on my ability to see the current speed either in front of me (like in an S) vs to the right of me (like the 3). My eyes felt far less fatigue looking to the right than looking down. The new UI puts the speed a bit closer to the edge, so for me its actually easier. I also really love that the left side is big enough now to show nav directions when the main screen is covered - for example with cameras. I like driving with my camera view open, but I hated that it covered the map. Now I have what I want: Nav directions + camera view.

What I don’t like is the positioning of the (HOLD), speed limit sight, auto-pilot symbol, and TACC speed. I would re-order those. I also don’t like the monochrome battery. Also, the position of the battery now looks perfect to have both a % and range.

For me at least, the refinement I would like to see:
  1. Bigger current speed font
  2. Battery icon back to green
  3. % + Range
  4. Reorder the icons next to the current speed
  5. Option to change layout/size - as per Elon’s tweet.

Tweet from Elon on future stuff coming that makes me think the above:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1342577920565411841?s=21

I agree. Auto-park, rain-sensing wipers, auto-headlight…but you know I’ve also owned a lot of cars from quite a few brands and I see that in a lot of places. I’m probably a lot more forgiving of design choices having been in that spot of having a vision/roadmap and having to release it in stages.

Personally, I like these new changes. For me I feel like the UI is actually an improvement, except I would like to see the font used for the speed being larger.

For example before this update I was doing a quick test on my ability to see the current speed either in front of me (like in an S) vs to the right of me (like the 3). My eyes felt far less fatigue looking to the right than looking down. The new UI puts the speed a bit closer to the edge, so for me its actually easier. I also really love that the left side is big enough now to show nav directions when the main screen is covered - for example with cameras. I like driving with my camera view open, but I hated that it covered the map. Now I have what I want: Nav directions + camera view.

What I don’t like is the positioning of the (HOLD), speed limit sight, auto-pilot symbol, and TACC speed. I would re-order those. I also don’t like the monochrome battery. Also, the position of the battery now looks perfect to have both a % and range.

For me at least, the refinement I would like to see:
  1. Bigger current speed font
  2. Battery icon back to green
  3. % + Range
  4. Reorder the icons next to the current speed
  5. Option to change layout/size - as per Elon’s tweet.

Tweet from Elon on future stuff coming that makes me think the above:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1342577920565411841?s=21

No excuse though to reduce the font size used for the speed display.

Presumably there isn't anyone on the UI design team older than 35, right?

Keep bugging Elon on Twitter and submitting bug reports in your Tesla. Really hope they fix that. It's ridiculous.

Submitting bug reports from your Tesla does not send a message to the mothership (can you imagine that inbox?). It captures a snapshot and a brief description of the problem (whatever you say to the system when submitting a bug report) and saves it in the car for the service center to review during your next visit.

Bugging Elon on Twitter is effective.

Tesla’s success is currently limited by Musk’s arrogance. He pushes for absolutely moronic changes to things like the UI without any design consideration from long running design experts from the auto industry. The white dash trim is an example of blatant idiocy because industry experts all called out how blinding that is in many light conditions, but Musk insisted. He’s surely responsible for the terrible accessibility problems this update introduces. It’s also a clear indication that Musk is beginning to hold the company back because he is clearly the one putting focus on adding stupid features like Boombox and further iterating on the childish Emissions Test bullshit. He has no self control to put actual experts in charge of UX changes.

20201227_140438.jpg

I thought I'd post an image so that other's can see what has changed as far as font size.

Yah I don’t get it - plenty of room to bump up the P N R D and Speed

The font is too small for my old eyes.

I think the issue is: The cars are owned by those who are older who can afford a Tesla in their later in life and with poorer eye sights to read small fonts but the cars are made by young engineers who are mostly with excellent eyesight with no problem with small fonts.