Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software version 17.34 2448cfc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you played with the turn thing on the lower left stalk to adjust the following distance? I move mine around all the time from the max distance at speed to something like 3-4 in stop and go traffic and it affects both how much gap is present on acceleration as well as how aggressive the braking to stop is.

I tried that with .28, but haven't yet tried it with .34. Oddly, with .28 it seemed that position 2 was more aggressive than position 1, which itself seemed to be a bug.

On #3 lane change,. I had much better experience. Just early on traffic on Hwy. Triggered auto lane change when there was a car next to mine. It did not change until there was an opening , then it smoothly moved to the lane with slight increase in speed. Then it slows down smoothly to keep the proper distance

Seriously. It was smooth. I would do exactly the same thing

One other observation. I don't think AP2 cares how close the car in front is, as long as it isn't triggering the ultrasonics. I did a lane change to the right just after someone further right merged over. My tesla just slid in right behind that car, far too close to be safe at that highway speed (>70). It didn't work very hard to widen the gap after. I tapped the brake and separated manually.

• Informative
Reactions: Raincloud
So it seem like majority of us are on the same page with how scary AP2 is or can be, it's obviously getting better with the updates but not quick enough for my hopes and what we were lead to believe with "8 new cameras and 40x processing speed". I've pretty much totally abandoned using eap in the carpool totally, the constant ping pong and loosing lines and jumping around erratically plus tacc's crazy ghost braking has pretty much dome it in for me. I 100% won't use it with anyone else in the car now, I want tesla to sell the *sugar* out of cars and believe in the need for electrification of automobiles so I won't put tesla newbies in the weird situation of why the heck did your car just slam on the brakes?

With that being said it seems the fed has paved the way for tesla to test their fsd so no excuses now right!?!? I'm thinking end of the month for fsd... We are so far away from it that I bet most of us won't even own our cars by the time fsd comes out. Crossed that they can make it happen but Elon has been awfully quiet except for saying he's gonna have to eat crow on his timeline for eap "drive across america"

Same and for the first time the notification of a software update on my phone said it arrived at 1.30 am local time. I know that it has to finish downloading it before it can notify me but unless it was 10s of gigabytes it wouldn't have started downloading more than an hour before. I don't see a great deal of difference in AP driving dynamics FWIW (compared to 32.6) but I believe this one logs details of your autosteer usage and send them back.
They are usually a bit less than half a gig on average.
I got it here in Aus too. AP1 car but I notice improved cornering on windy marked roads.

I've attempted to capture the winding road I use to test autosteer on after each update on video. This is with 2017.34 firmware. Unfortunately this was my first attempt to record video with my phone in my car and I mounted it a bit low so you can't see the lane markings but you can see the instrument cluster clearly enough and witness the various autosteer aborts and my interventions. Video is 17mins in total.

Bottom line is it performs a little better on curves but still has the same number of major fails. On the upside the auto high beams appear to have performed significantly better. On more urban roads the auto high beams still dimmed far too frequently due to reflective signs.
I'm going to do this video again tonight where you can actually see the road markings for without it it's useless. I got myself a new mount for the phone which will ensure it's high enough to see the road. Watching the side of the road get dangerously close or the car cross to the other side of the road is far more meaningful when you can see it happening instead of some moron just describing it.

• Informative
Reactions: BigD0g
I'll have to take 17.34 out again which I got last night... from a couple hundred miles driving yesterday on 17.32.6 I noted that AP2 was generally ok on the motorway, but I still got two random braking events - one quite severe - no bridge or sign or anything to trigger it, so no idea what that was about - fortunately the car behind me was a safe distance and reacted - and from then on kept a very safe distance from me - don't blame him!

A few weird behaviours in that firmware, I'm hoping 17.34 fixes:

1) For some reason the car slows down when the car in front changes lane, before speeding up to pass it. Say that TACC is on 80mph, and you're in the fast lane - the guy in front moves to the left (in the UK) to the slow lane so you can pass... The Tesla has been following the slower car at 70mph or whatever, but weirdly will slow down to 65 for a few seconds or so whilst the car ahead makes their lane change... in other words, it brakes before it overtakes... I can understand it keeping the same speed, but it seems weird (especially to cars behind you) that it brakes at all...

2) The scariest part is the unnerving phantom braking... I had two events yesterday - one minor one occurred under a bridge, and a more severe one that seemingly had no trigger. This is the single biggest reason as to why driving with AP2 feels different to AP1...

3) It did try and throw me across the road when it saw some tar lines on the road... AP went crazy, wobbled me around like a mad driver and I jumped in to disengage. Why on earth it did this, I have no idea... they really should have some logic in there that just prevents any sudden deviations when driving at speed...

4) It still chooses slightly weird lane positioning - it's fine on a wide open motorway, but on a tighter dual carriageway it will just drift off to the side as it goes around a gentle curve. It must know it's doing it, since it displays the position on the IC. Why not just hardcode it to stick to the middle of the lane as much as possible?!

5) Still too much of a gap between me and the car in front in traffic. I should try it on just TACC and see what the difference is. Presumably Autopilot leaves a large gap so that it can still track the lane lines (which it can't otherwise see if there's a car right in front). To be honest, this is where the blue car in front would be far preferable, but I hardly ever see it on AP2.

Reactions: 1 person
3) It did try and throw me across the road when it saw some tar lines on the road... AP went crazy, wobbled me around like a mad driver and I jumped in to disengage. Why on earth it did this, I have no idea... they really should have some logic in there that just prevents any sudden deviations when driving at speed...

Best place for this is the M3 south as it merges with the M25. Road narrows from 2 lanes to 1 lane, with dots and cones through the road works, and lots of tar lines.

If you look at the AP display it shows that it has locked onto the side of the road, and the side of the road is displayed correctly, yet the car zig-zags around until you disengage.

Can only assume that the car is trying to find the middle of the lane.

Disclaimer: AP shouldn't be relied on through roadworks.

Just to add to the list:

6) If you are passing a stationary queue of traffic in the motorway and also happen to be approaching a bridge, just disengage AP. It gets super-nervous, causing lots of random braking events, and it's just not worth the stress for you or the car behind.

5) Still too much of a gap between me and the car in front in traffic. I should try it on just TACC and see what the difference is. Presumably Autopilot leaves a large gap so that it can still track the lane lines (which it can't otherwise see if there's a car right in front). To be honest, this is where the blue car in front would be far preferable, but I hardly ever see it on AP2.
What follow distance do you have set?

I alternate between 1 and 2 distance because it follows too far back on 3. In traffic a setting of 4 or higher might as well just put me in reverse, because anyone and everyone will pull around me.

• Funny
Reactions: Shock-On-T
Best place for this is the M3 south as it merges with the M25. Road narrows from 2 lanes to 1 lane, with dots and cones through the road works, and lots of tar lines.

If you look at the AP display it shows that it has locked onto the side of the road, and the side of the road is displayed correctly, yet the car zig-zags around until you disengage.

Can only assume that the car is trying to find the middle of the lane.

I had a moment where the 3 lanes of the M4 go down to two on the way into London. I was in lane 2 with 40 set. Lane 3 merges into 2 basically just by losing the lane marker between 3 & 2. Car decided to make he most of the wide new lane and jumped right (and I was beta testing, and expected it, and checked for other traffic, and it was early on a saturday morning). It is slowly getting a lot better but there's a lot of edge cases to train in to the system still.

Not sure if most of you experience the same thing.

Every time right after an update (yes, every single time), I always experienced some phantom braking (one or twice) on my 100 miles heavy traffic commute the following day. I use AP almost 70% of the time

Then after a day or 2, it just went away. Same route, same time with similar traffic condition. then the AP2 continues to improve slightly every day until the next update. Then it starts it all over again.

I am not sure that is a good use case for AP driving. Just curious how AP1 would have fared in the same stretch. Some of the curves almost seem like 90 degree.

I completely agree. I don't expect AP1 to have fared well there either. The curves are too sharp for AP1 to handle, you likely would not have been offered AutoSteer at all on such stretches much like some of the mountain passes around here in the California mountains.

Not only are the curves 90 degrees, there's two lane markers in the center and an occasionally disappearing lane marker on the left, that could result in a dive towards oncoming traffic due to the wrong lane marker recognized....

Considering the neural net did not change in 2017.34, I would not expect it to have improved on this stretch in any of these dot releases. Its ability to follow those curves may have improved somewhat...

Reactions: BigD0g
Took a service tech for a ride in my AP2 with this firmware. Naturally I assumed my car would behave perfectly while the tech was there, but it did me a favor and admirably performed a lunge and swerve upon activation of AS on a straight interstate highway.

And what did he say about it?
He noted it. He's a "drive tech" along for a ride to provide info to the real fixer people about anything that he observes. At another time I had to disengage before my car made it over the righthand lane line on a highway curve, where there was another vehicle. I didn't think that was particularly noteworthy. He could've just noted "Car has EAP". :D

I don't think he enjoyed being on the side of the car that would've hit the car in the other lane.

Reactions: MP3Mike
With this release, the car seems much more prone to phantom braking - braking down to 9mph with no obstruction directly ahead, but with a vehicle in an adjacent lane.

Haven't been rear-ended. Yet.

Car was just in for service (half shafts replaced at 19K miles) - no faults/alerts for any of the sensors or otherwise.

Agree. Got 3 phantom braking in last 2 days with car in adjacent lane. Actually all three time the car had moved from my lane to the other lane but still it braked.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones