Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you had it for a while?

Yes. That probably explains it, thanks.

plus the wide 10% and 90%tile range

I find that that varies a lot, day to day, depending on their confidence. Sometimes it tracks very close to the prediciton,. sometimes there is a vast uncertainty.

I ought to do some checks to see how often the actual was outside the 10%-90%tile ... I have that data going back a year, maybe two ... and at several points during each day (as the "uncertainty" usually reduces as the time approaches).

I contacted UKPN, they responded very quickly, were very helpful, and have agreed to increase the export limit from 6.5kW to 8.5kW without an engineer visit. Total solar is 6.5kW and 0kW was assumed for the PW, I requested a total of 11.5kW but UKPN explained that due to the size of the cabling and transformer the maximum that they can allow without requiring works is 8.5kW. I expect formal confirmation of the 8.5kW approval next week. I don't understand why export is limited to about half the maximum import, however, under the circumstances, I am satisfied with this result.
Finally got this all set up and configured the PW to export everything. Exported about 4.7kWh during the saving session today (17:30-18:30), so about £10 worth of Octopoints at a net rate of about £2.15. Not bad for the first outing. Impressed that all I have to do is set the export rate for the saving session in the app (and remember to set it back afterwards).

I have a PW2 and a Solaredge inverter. The daily figures for solar production are different between the 2 apps.

The figures in the Solaredge stats are around 4-5% higher than those shown in the Tesla app.

Which source would be the most accurate?

I have a PW2 and a Solaredge inverter. The daily figures for solar production are different between the 2 apps.

The figures in the Solaredge stats are around 4-5% higher than those shown in the Tesla app.

Which source would be the most accurate?
If they measure export, then whatever is closest to your energy providers bill... in my case that's the PW figures which are the lowest of inverter (solis), zappi and the powerwall.

If they measure export, then whatever is closest to your energy providers bill... in my case that's the PW figures which are the lowest of inverter (solis), zappi and the powerwall.
It’s not as simple as that because the solar is not always 100% exported and most days I also export excess battery storage at the end of the day. So my solar production figure will rarely be the same as the energy exported to the grid.

I’m putting figures in a spreadsheet to get a rough idea of payback timescales. The export figure I do take from the Octopus Energy stats so I know that’s accurate. It’s the solar production figures that I’m now not sure of. I have been using the Tesla figures but not sure if the Solaredge figures are more accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: ringi
It’s not as simple as that because the solar is not always 100% exported and most days I also export excess battery storage at the end of the day. So my solar production figure will rarely be the same as the energy exported to the grid.

I’m putting figures in a spreadsheet to get a rough idea of payback timescales. The export figure I do take from the Octopus Energy stats so I know that’s accurate. It’s the solar production figures that I’m now not sure of. I have been using the Tesla figures but not sure if the Solaredge figures are more accurate.
Electricity Meters are +- 5% accuracy to UK standards. The metering built into inverters/batteries are likely to be even less accurate.

Reactions: notmeguv

You'll never really know then... and for what it's worth not sure it matters, there's conversion losses when charging a batter then discharging it. Losses on the line, the fact that changing voltage (as needed to import/export etc), changes the wattage, couple that with devices that measure at differing frequencies (every 5 mins isn't as good as every 10 seconds, isn't as good as every second), and with CT clamps that may be inaccurate. You're on hiding to nothing trying to work out which is "right". The reason I mention the closest to octopus figures is because if exporting, that's what matters. If you're powering the house then exporting later, then not sure anything other than export matters. How much you generated and or used doesn't really need to be accurate?

You'll never really know then... and for what it's worth not sure it matters, there's conversion losses when charging a batter then discharging it. Losses on the line, the fact that changing voltage (as needed to import/export etc), changes the wattage, couple that with devices that measure at differing frequencies (every 5 mins isn't as good as every 10 seconds, isn't as good as every second), and with CT clamps that may be inaccurate. You're on hiding to nothing trying to work out which is "right". The reason I mention the closest to octopus figures is because if exporting, that's what matters. If you're powering the house then exporting later, then not sure anything other than export matters. How much you generated and or used doesn't really need to be accurate?
Makes sense. I’ll just stick with what I’m already doing. As you said it doesn’t need to be ultra accurate.

Reactions: phil4
Lunar Panels?

Between 1020pm and 0030am I was generating 1w from the full moon on my East facing array of 8 panels (none from the others, unless I was asleep by then). Anyone else get this?

Made me chuckle. 🤭

IMG_8659.png

IMG_8660.png

there was a development for panels to utilise water droplet friction when raining ;)

There was one that tried to use the temp differential between the front and back of the panels to achieve something too. Also looked meh.

Electricity Meters are +- 5% accuracy to UK standards. The metering built into inverters/batteries are likely to be even less accurate.
UK electricity meters must be accurate to within +2.5% -3.5%. I suspect that modern meters are a lot more accurate than that. This report looks at faults in meters submitted for testing - not likely to be representative of modern meters which haven’t been tampered with.