Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, NASs have 10Gb cards as does my PC. Streaming 4k video is not an issue to all TVs in the house and my 8 HD+ CCTV cameras hog the bandwidth. A 1Gb network just did not cut it and 10Gb solved everything with no video or flac file buffering.

Not funny @Rooster6655 - just very practical, useful and a stress remover as buffering audio and video is infuriating.

8E0721D5-96D4-4F7C-9E2E-47388C0B0D1D.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, NASs have 10Gb cards as does my PC. Streaming 4k video is not an issue to all TVs in the house and my 8 HD+ CCTV cameras hog the bandwidth. A 1Gb network just did not cut it and 10Gb solved everything with no video or flac file buffering.

Not funny @Rooster6655 - just very practical, useful and a stress remover as buffering audio and video is infuriating.

View attachment 802162
Now that is some serious kit! There’s only the two of us so I just fed the LAN from my Bipac router direct to a 8 port gigabit switch and wireless AP in the lounge, same to the annex and to a wireless AP in the garage. As long as the TV doesn’t buffer during Crufts I’m in the clear.
I went to a lot of trouble running the LAN to the garage, only to find that the installer left an unused one when putting in the second Powerwall!

Now that is some serious kit! There’s only the two of us so I just fed the LAN from my Bipac router direct to a 8 port gigabit switch and wireless AP in the lounge, same to the annex and to a wireless AP in the garage. As long as the TV doesn’t buffer during Crufts I’m in the clear.
I went to a lot of trouble running the LAN to the garage, only to find that the installer left an unused one when putting in the second Powerwall!
There are only two of us now. We have VM 1Gb and I use a Draytek 2927 to connect the router to one of the switches. I do quite a bit of video editing and all my data is on a NAS, so speed is vital when editing files that are 10GB plus, a fast LAN is needed.

Our property has solid walls, so Wi-Fi does not travel well, so I had to add multiple APs for phones and iPads.

I had to put an Access Point into the garage for the Tesla, and the 4 ports are connected to the Gateway, two inverters and the 10Gb Switch.

I think us techies like things to be just right be it PWs, networks or computers. :)

Reactions: Dilly
There are only two of us now. We have VM 1Gb and I use a Draytek 2927 to connect the router to one of the switches. I do quite a bit of video editing and all my data is on a NAS, so speed is vital when editing files that are 10GB plus, a fast LAN is needed.

Our property has solid walls, so Wi-Fi does not travel well, so I had to add multiple APs for phones and iPads.

I had to put an Access Point into the garage for the Tesla, and the 4 ports are connected to the Gateway, two inverters and the 10Gb Switch.

I think us techies like things to be just right be it PWs, networks or computers. :)
We get 23mb/s out of 35. The fibre cabinet is half a mile away. My in-laws live next-door-but-one just a couple of hundred yards away. my copper line takes the short route, theirs goes the long way round the green and they get just 13mb/s
The neighbour between us fares even worse and has a 5G dish instead. I’m not sure we even have 5G here but it works.
Come to that, we don’t get mains gas or sewerage either. 😂

We get 23mb/s out of 35. The fibre cabinet is half a mile away. My in-laws live next-door-but-one just a couple of hundred yards away. my copper line takes the short route, theirs goes the long way round the green and they get just 13mb/s
The neighbour between us fares even worse and has a 5G dish instead. I’m not sure we even have 5G here but it works.
Come to that, we don’t get mains gas or sewerage either. 😂
Oh dear, I get 750Mb down and 48Mb up, and that is via a VPN; removing the VPN speeds up the connection. Our biggest problem is very poor 4G signal (no 5G) with dropouts and disconnections normally, so I had no alternative but to fit a 4G repeater for data and voice. We are lucky, Virgin re-ran the cable from our place to the cabinet after some would be cannabis farm growers damaged the cable by mistake. We don't use gas. At least you generate a lot of solar power.

Oh dear, I get 750Mb down and 48Mb up, and that is via a VPN; removing the VPN speeds up the connection. Our biggest problem is very poor 4G signal (no 5G) with dropouts and disconnections normally, so I had no alternative but to fit a 4G repeater for data and voice. We are lucky, Virgin re-ran the cable from our place to the cabinet after some would be cannabis farm growers damaged the cable by mistake. We don't use gas. At least you generate a lot of solar power.
750! I think that’s what the entire town shares here 😂😂

I just squeezed in... with a Smartphone speed of 842 Mbps

Screenshot_20220509-203056_Speedtest.jpg

Reactions: RedMod3
On the plus side although we generated 28kWh today as it was cloudy, I drew limited power at 5p/kWh and the PW still has some juice left. Still waiting for my second PW to get grid power to zero as our quiescent draw is high.

Attachments

• 956E312E-2D4E-41AF-ADFC-DCA5EE65128C.jpeg
    956E312E-2D4E-41AF-ADFC-DCA5EE65128C.jpeg
    617.2 KB · Views: 28
  • E2095E7F-7FC8-4FB9-B292-AB313BD33CB7.jpeg
    E2095E7F-7FC8-4FB9-B292-AB313BD33CB7.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: PITA
Last 5 days now we've been 'off-grid' with zero Grid imported or exported. Just using Solar now for home & car charging.

I messed up one day, and spilled some Solar Juice onto the Grid... but Export is only 2% so far... using most of it.

We're not a Solar 'heavy puncher'... we're more like MMA rules... grappling the last drop of Solar Energy into Submission :D

This UK mini-heatwave forecast coming will be exciting, might be off-grid for rest of the month. :D

Screenshot_20220510-004104_mySolarEdge.jpg

Screenshot_20220510-005306_Tesla.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RedMod3
Last 5 days now we've been 'off-grid' with zero Grid imported or exported. Just using Solar now for home & car charging.

I messed up one day, and spilled some Solar Juice onto the Grid... but Export is only 2% so far... using most of it.

We're not a Solar 'heavy puncher'... we're more like MMA rules... grappling the last drop of Solar Energy into Submission :D

This UK mini-heatwave forecast coming will be exciting, might be off-grid for rest of the month. :D

View attachment 802337

View attachment 802338
This forum has been very useful in convincing me to get 2 PW after I initially ordered only one. You can do that because you have two, I can't store enough solar during the day when there is lots of spare power and I have to dump it in the cars or the grid, and then I have to import later in the day, like today as it's been cloudy when I'll be on grid at 11pm and will be paying an extra 25p for my power today.

Yes it hurts, not the 25p, but the fact I've not been able to save the 25p. Just wait until I get my second PW, and then we will be on the par.

Reactions: PITA and Dilly
This forum has been very useful in convincing me to get 2 PW after I initially ordered only one. You can do that because you have two, I can't store enough solar during the day when there is lots of spare power and I have to dump it in the cars or the grid, and then I have to import later in the day, like today as it's been cloudy when I'll be on grid at 11pm and will be paying an extra 25p for my power today.

Yes it hurts, not the 25p, but the fact I've not been able to save the 25p. Just wait until I get my second PW, and then we will be on the par.

... you'll like it.

For me, it's not the saving a few pence.

It was the enjoyment of building a really well balanced slick system. Tesla gave me most of the components and all of the integration that I wanted.

It's been a very enjoyable project.

Getting any ROI is just icing on my cake

Edit: Oh, and another day 'off-grid' today :D

Screenshot_20220510-211527_Tesla.jpg

Reactions: Dilly
... you'll like it.

For me, it's not the saving a few pence.

It was the enjoyment of building a really well balanced slick system. Tesla gave me most of the components and all of the integration that I wanted.

It's been a very enjoyable project.

Getting any ROI is just icing on my cake

Edit: Oh, and another day 'off-grid' today :D

View attachment 802681
Here’s mine for today. I couldn't save enough yesterday to avoid the 5p kWh import over night and as it was cloudy today I had to pay 15.59p per kWh this eve. However, I’m tracking for about £45 for May that will be a big improvement over no PW. The Octopus Compare app is cheap and good.

Attachments

• 29463AE8-26FF-4940-8F0F-16B8263B8D7C.jpeg
    29463AE8-26FF-4940-8F0F-16B8263B8D7C.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 44B94678-7589-440B-9B6A-354DE9D0338F.jpeg
    44B94678-7589-440B-9B6A-354DE9D0338F.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: PITA