Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Etose are good prices. I got 14 panels, 5kW hybrid inverter, 9.5kW Givenergy battery and Eddi for £12k from local installer. Order placed in July, panels fitted September, still waiting for battery and Eddi. Givenergy hopelessly behind on orders and sending out batteries WITHOUT the cables, which are non-standard, so installer can do nothing with them....
Yes, it's been a debacle but at least you have the panels. We ordered the gen 2 inverter but it will be the lower capacitty gen 1 going in with the gen 2 retrofitted later - we are holding cash back to make sure.

Are you also aware of the state-of-charge issue which is now affecting lots of GivEnergy batteries it seems? Random jumps and dumps so the user doesn't actually have a clear idea of the SoC. This has actually been known for over a year but it's taken a lot of pressure from users on various forums to get Giv to do anything positive about it - they tried and failed a few times it appears. Slightly better news is that there is a completely new firmware out for beta testing where the initial results look better. Hopefully this fixes it - if not, there are some big problems ahead. We've been considering cancelling our order on the back of this but given the recent firmware news, we're hanging in there. You can see the issues discussed in a huge thread "3007 firmware....." on the main Giv user forum.

Has anyone received their Powerwall that was ordered in April this year? Mine was ordered in April for a quoted October delivery; as of today, I have no news on when it may be coming. I just wondered how others are faring?
I ordered in April and my installer updated me a couple of weeks ago with an estimated delivery date of the end of January. It has slipped one week from the date originally quoted.

• Informative
Reactions: RedMod3
I placed an order mid-December 2020. They're being installed Friday, so about 23 months wait for me....
As I am expanding a system rather than fitting a new one, my installer said Tesla put me down the priority list. Not sure if that's strictly true but if it is I can sort of see their point. But it was a long wait!
Yours seems a very long wait.! I need 10kWh of solar to keep me out of peak power costs. Any reduction in temperature or reduced solar will impact me, whereas my 3rd PW would save us here. Today was good, we made 13.3kWh, so I'll end the peak period at just over 15% in our PWs. Tomorrow is not looking good.

My installer who came fit two more on my system (after a 22 month lead time!) said he alone has 500 on back order.
I think we maybe don’t appreciate just how much demand there really is for the things…

Good point and with the Government scrapping help with bills, electricity prices will only go higher and so will demand for solar and batteries. Houses that can fit these energy saving options will soar in value; those that can't will probably not increase so much.

Houses that can fit these energy saving options will soar in value ...

A Sparky who came to do some work on my systems here said he had just fitted some panels on North facing roof so that the (brand new) houses ticked some official box or other ... we joked that the occupants will be disappointed, and tell all their mates / post on Social Media "PV is rubbish", and some will believe it of course ...

All new housing should be Passive Haus. Extraordinary that this isn't already mandated. 6% build-cost increase, 75% less heating energy than a new build (to current building regs) - for the lifetime of the building. Way way better comfort, and massive reduction in respiratory ailments - not just for people with Asthma etc. my wife and I haven't had a winter cough or cold in the 7 years we've had our, and she works in an open plan office where everyone around her is dying all winter long. So fewer sick days lost to the nation as well. Either don't install a heating system at all (and use an electric fire on the few days a year that are cold), or have a much smaller heating system than a conventional house - thus cheaper replacement cost as well.

A Sparky who came to do some work on my systems here said he had just fitted some panels on North facing roof so that the (brand new) houses ticked some official box or other ... we joked that the occupants will be disappointed, and tell all their mates / post on Social Media "PV is rubbish", and some will believe it of course ...
There are so many new houses near me with North facing panels. I just don’t get it…. Many have south facing roofs as well but they’re road facing, so it’s purely an aesthetic choice to put them on the north.

Reactions: WannabeOwner

All new housing should be Passive Haus. Extraordinary that this isn't already mandated. 6% build-cost increase, 75% less heating energy than a new build (to current building regs) - for the lifetime of the building. Way way better comfort, and massive reduction in respiratory ailments - not just for people with Asthma etc. my wife and I haven't had a winter cough or cold in the 7 years we've had our, and she works in an open plan office where everyone around her is dying all winter long. So fewer sick days lost to the nation as well. Either don't install a heating system at all (and use an electric fire on the few days a year that are cold), or have a much smaller heating system than a conventional house - thus cheaper replacement cost as well.
If only I could!
I bought my house off plan.
When it was being built I begged Taylor Wimpey to allow me to put underfloor heating to all of downstairs. I planned to then use a heat pump for central heating.
It would have been trivial that stage to have the infrastructure installed but they absolutely refused and did not budge.

It irks me to think that I’d now need to spend thousands getting a 4 years old house brought up to Passiv Haus standards (if that’s even possible)….