Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would be ideal for end user - yes.

but would it be for Tesla which has very specific product - PW which they sell for profit. becaue people would use it as large battery anyway, not for the trickle feed to PW alone.

this would definitely canibalize PW sales. so why would tesla enable feature which in the end would mean less sales for them?

Because if they don't, somebody else will... and they'll lose brand loyalty.

Better to keep people happy within the eco system, by offering scaleability and flexibility.

Not everybody has space or security for a Powerwall

Because if they don't, somebody else will... and they'll lose brand loyalty.

Better to keep people happy within the eco system, by offering scaleability and flexibility.

Not everybody has space or security for a Powerwall
do you think they really care?

all their decisions are on the opposite anyone would want. disabling radar, removing uss etc.

heck, if they did anything what people want, they would have AP auto-re-enable after lane change, matrix lights, etc.

Reactions: Rooster6655
do you think they really care?

all their decisions are on the opposite anyone would want. disabling radar, removing uss etc.

heck, if they did anything what people want, they would have AP auto-re-enable after lane change, matrix lights, etc.

Its quite funny that Elon was asked about V2G and he seemed unaware that anyone would be interested in it, then he talks about how you if you unplugged the car you would then lose the battery for the house and thats why you need the PW.

If they ever did offer it then you can likely expect to pay a fair whack for it, perhaps they might combine it with having to own a PW.

Would be ideal for end user - yes.

but would it be for Tesla which has very specific product - PW which they sell for profit. becaue people would use it as large battery anyway, not for the trickle feed to PW alone.

this would definitely canibalize PW sales. so why would tesla enable feature which in the end would mean less sales for them?
They can't make enough of the things, I doubt they'd be worrying too much about cannibalising sales at the moment.
The market for home energy storage is MASSIVE and likely to get bigger.

Its quite funny that Elon was asked about V2G and he seemed unaware that anyone would be interested in it, then he talks about how you if you unplugged the car you would then lose the battery for the house and thats why you need the PW.

If they ever did offer it then you can likely expect to pay a fair whack for it, perhaps they might combine it with having to own a PW.

even if you work away from home all day, that still means you'd have value in a PW to get solar and cover the house load during the day, but an additional car battery would help for overnight and for powercuts. Not a hard thing to see so just Elon being deliberately obtuse?

I work from home, so it would work for me ... but if all house occupants were out to work then the house wouldn't be using much (easy to cover with a static battery) and I would appreciate the V2H for when I was then at home - just to top up when static battery ran out - cloudy days, depths of Winter when static battery only does e.g. 90% of the peak period, occasional high usage when entertaining / guest staying, and so on.

Their worry might be arbitrage to the grid, when I would be incentivised to export full-pelt during times when peaker-plants are currently used. But, that said, Tesla seemed to manage to get arbitrage payments (for their energy tariff) for customers who had no export allowance from DNO - on the basis that they were not drawing from the grid (and contributing to the problem) ... so even just running my house, rather than exporting, might be regarded as "favourable"

That's the dream. 70kW on tap would be amazing. Car battery degradation has been very benign. I'd be more than happy to throw some extra cycles at this.
100% with you on this.

My dream... (not a chance mind!!) that when my PCP is up in just under 3 years the infrastructure is in place for V2H, I'll pay the remainder of my balloon (£18.5k) for the 75kW, SORN it, then get a cover and put it on bricks at the side of the house😂😂.

By that time the new highland/jupiter will be well established and USS will be reinstated. I'll remove the 50+ accessories from the old Tesla into the new one to save a couple of grand too!!

Don't give a flying 'f' about FSD so that can evolve at it's own pace until everyone has it.

Ask them for a 3 Phase Upgrade, free of charge.

I did... they agreed.

BUT, you MUST ask them.

They will upgrade to 3 Phase cabling, and a 3 Phase cutout, but only connect one phase to your meter. You can then decide what to do later.

Don't upgrade to a Smart Meter until after the work is complete, preferably...
Had my fuse upgraded by my DNO. The guy who came to do it even suggested I look at getting 3 phase as the overhead cable running along the street were already 3 phases. The biggest issue looked to be making space in my internal meter cupboard, the outside bit was not a problem apparently.

Reactions: PITA
and they’d fight so not worth it.

the new givenergy AIO can charge at 6kw and discharge at 6 (peaking to 7.2) so similar to the powerwall. But not helpful to those of us already installed with older givenergy. Maybe I can sell mine to my old man ;)
I've just bought a small server to run the GivTCP in the background to eliminate this problem -apparently works very well.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mrklaw
My internet has been out this afternoon and it’s really frustrating that I can’t see any data from either the myenergi app or givenergy so no idea my battery charge or how much solar is being generated. Hopefully the givenergy at least will be recording it almost doesn’t mess up the weekly reports it does

Especially silly for givenergy which lets you see local data but to do that the app first has ti connect to the mothership so no internet no info even though my LAN is fine..

givenergy lets you see local data

Could you log that (locally) via an API? (I have no knowledge of Givenergy)

Personally I want good data history to enable me to make future decisions, and thus I attach quite a lot of weight to capturing & preserving real time data - and that is available / useful during any external / 3rd party outage.

But maybe your device stores that data, and then retrospectively uploads to mothership - so your history is preserved - and only mucks up your real-time decisions on Generation / turn-on-dishwasher type decisions

Reactions: Mrklaw
Could you log that (locally) via an API? (I have no knowledge of Givenergy)

Personally I want good data history to enable me to make future decisions, and thus I attach quite a lot of weight to capturing & preserving real time data - and that is available / useful during any external / 3rd party outage.

But maybe your device stores that data, and then retrospectively uploads to mothership - so your history is preserved - and only mucks up your real-time decisions on Generation / turn-on-dishwasher type decisions

apparantly - I'd installed a givTCP integration to home assistant but it wasn't workign. It was up until yesterday. Just tried a different one which works for now but I don't know how local it is.

My internet has been out this afternoon and it’s really frustrating that I can’t see any data from either the myenergi app or givenergy so no idea my battery charge or how much solar is being generated. Hopefully the givenergy at least will be recording it almost doesn’t mess up the weekly reports it does

Especially silly for givenergy which lets you see local data but to do that the app first has ti connect to the mothership so no internet no info even though my LAN is fine..
This is one of the reasons I'm pleased to now be getting a SunSynk inverter, while there is an internet portal and app there is also a complete UI to program and monitor the device on the device. Im not as concerned about internet outages as I am in the viability of suppliers to stay in business for the 10+ years it'll be in use. Who can be sure that GivEnergy, MyEnergi, Sunsynk etc will be in business to provide their management and reporting portals ?

Reactions: Avendit
Just had a pleasant surprise, our seg is with eon, as they installed our solar, was getting 5.5p kwh, today got an email saying from today is 16.5 kWh, so happy days, it's only for people that had their panels installed by eon.

Reactions: PITA
British Gas offer 6.4 p/kWh SEG currently to all energy supplier customers. A quick round up…

Mandatory SEG Licensees:
  • Scottish Power = SmartGen = 12 p/kWh variable (“just awful”, 3 month backlog, excludes battery storage)
  • British Gas = 6.4 p/kWh (opening + auto-read 3 months)
  • ESB (part of So Energy) = So Altair 5 p/kWh
  • Octopus Energy = Smart Export Guarantee 4.1 p/kWh
  • OVO Energy = OVO SEG Tariff (AET20) = 4 p/kWh
  • Shell Energy = SEG Tariff = 3.5 p/kWh
  • E.ON = NextExport 3 p/kWh
  • EDF = Export Variable Tariff 3 p/kWh
  • Utilita = 3 p/kWh
  • The Utility Warehouse = UW Smart Export Guarantee - Standard = 2 p/kWh
  • E (Gas & Electricity) Britain's Best Prepayment Energy Supplier | E (Pre-pay only) "E SEG January2020v.1" = 1p/kWh
Voluntary SEG Licensees:
  • Pozitive Energy = 5 p/kWh (excludes battery stored electricity)
  • Rebel Energy = Unstated

• Informative
Reactions: Avendit and phil4
today got an email saying from today is 16.5 kWh ... only for people that had their panels installed by eon.

Am I the only one looking at this and scratching my head?

They are paying what looks like a good rate on PV generation - i.e. everyone's surplus electricity, at a time when over-production is likely, and they are obliged to take it whether they want it or not

And then they (well, if not them, then "others like them") exclude battery storage

When it seems to me the time when they would most like folk to help-out is when the Coronation Street adverts come on and the nation puts the kettle on all-at-once. Batteries propping up the grid, at those Peaker-plant times, would seem to me to be worth offering a decent incentivising price for (unless the Peaker-Plant boys have got the generators and grid providers stitched up like a Kipper?)