Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is interesting. Not sure I understand how the parameters work.
IMG_9969.jpeg

Reactions: scdoubleu
Charge on solar had/has this odd requirement that the Powerwall has no import restriction. A common thing added in install to stop main fuses blowing apparently, but a foreign concept to the Americans who wrote it.

All hear-say above but with it I understand changes are being made as a lot of people who should be able to can’t see it.

As said not much use as expecting is a better use. and I have a zappi anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: thax1
Just wanted to say welcome to spring! A couple of times this week we have survived on 7.5p octopus power and sun. \o/. Yay for solar + batteries.

It was a little weird as one of the days it did also hail and sleet. But sun is sun in between.
Pretty crazy that I'm exporting up to £3 of solar a day in the same week I sold £6 during a Savings Session.

A couple of times this week we have survived on 7.5p octopus power and sun

Are you meaning you are buying some off peak and no peak (sorry if I'm being thick)?

'Coz with PV and Battery wouldn't that be the norm once out of deep Winter?

I have to go back to January when I was routinely using "some peak", since 01-Feb I drew some peak on 08-Feb (PV=3.3kWh), 10-Mar (6.6kWh) and 11-Mar (5.6kWh) (**), and before 14-Feb I drew a piddly bit for an hour-ish before Off Peak started most days, but basically I have survived on Off Peak and PV since 01-Feb.

Last night Tesla prediction charged PW to only 30% (actually it charged to 45%, but started discharging long before end of Off Peak such that it finished Off Peak @ 30% ... it has been doing that, I assume on the basis of "overcharge and then check prediction is still optimistic as end of Off Peak approaches", I've wondered why not "Charge to minimum and top up later in Off Peak if prediction worsens")

(**) 48 panels

Reactions: Pete UK
Just wanted to say welcome to spring! A couple of times this week we have survived on 7.5p octopus power and sun. \o/. Yay for solar + batteries.

It was a little weird as one of the days it did also hail and sleet. But sun is sun in between.
Yep, finally reaching the point where we export more than we import (albeit the cars have hardly moved last week so minimal charging).

Now starts the conundrum of if and when to switch back from Go to Flux🤔

I’m yet to find a comparison app that also supports Export (neither OctoAid nor Compare seem to)

Yep, finally reaching the point where we export more than we import (albeit the cars have hardly moved last week so minimal charging).

Now starts the conundrum of if and when to switch back from Go to Flux🤔

I’m yet to find a comparison app that also supports Export (neither OctoAid nor Compare seem to)
My problem with the compare apps is that they don't let you record your time shifting capabilities, they just look at history, which has time shifting for your current tariff.

Reactions: ringi and thax1