Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see the squeeze happening until there is revised long term guidance, the street has still not woken up to why SCTY is the US installs leader.

A lot of chatter out there about 2GW of 2016 installs will naturally shifting to 2017 due to lack of urgency now that the ITC is extended. The opposite will be true for SCTY in my mind, correct? SCTY is more customer acquisition and cost constrained, not install capacity. Their share grows as people understand solar and more importantly the value of their PPA product, and those aren't ITC related. ITC extension allowing them the freedom to dump more money into sales annoys the living bejesus out of me, but it adds tons to 2016 revenue. Thoughts?

Could someone tell me if the below chart pattern is warranted?

scty flag.png

Latest data shows solar installations to surge across the globe : Renew Economy

58 GW of solar was added globally, bringing total cumulative installations to 236 GW. This is a 32.5% increase in cumulative installations.

IHS is forecasting 67 GW for 2016. I think this is too small. First off, they are attempting to forecast from the demand side, not the supply side. My view is that global solar is supply constrained. What gets manufactured will be installed. It's just a matter of finding the clearing price. The solar industry has been growing supply about 30% per year for decades. And last year it grew 32.5%. So my view is that cumulative installations will grow 30% to 34% on a base of 236 GW. So this is a range of 71 to 80 GW for 2016. IHS forecasts 67 GW, which seems tepid to me.

Another driver here is the emergence of batteries. On the demand side, reliable, moderate cost batteries will make solar more attractive for many applications. It also mitigate policy risks and barriers. I believe this will accelerate solar growth globally. But to my first point about solar being supply constrained, the critical issue is whether solar manufacturers are willing to accelerate capacity expansion in anticipation of battery aided demand. My expectation is that this is the case. For a fact we know that SolarEdge is ramping up production of inverters optimized for Powerwalls. We also know that SolarCity is ramping up 1 GW/y panel capacity to pair with batteries. It takes multiple years to bring new capacity on line, so it seems to me that the anticipation of batteries is boosting supplier confidence even now. So this is how I get to 32% to 34% growth potential for 2016. But this driver clearly depends on how well batteries do in the market. So 2016 will be an important year to see how consumers warm up to Powerwalls and its competitors. If this is strong, then I would expect cumulative solar to grow 33% to 36% in 2017. IHS is forecasting 71.5 GW on a base of 303 GW, 23.6% growth.

In sum, IHS sees cumulative solar growing from a base of 236 GW in 2015 to 303 GW and 374.5 GW in 2016 and 2017 respectively. I see solar going to 309 GW and 411 GW, respectively. A more conservative scenario based on 30% grow gets to 307 GW and 399 GW. I do think that IHS is being overly pessimistic.

To their credit, they had forecasted 59 GW in 2015, while most were predicting 55 GW. IEA failed miserably with a forecast of 38 GW. So IHS is probably one of the best forecasters of solar, but I suspect they are missing emerging demand that will snap up hardware on any softness in prices and the boost that batteries will bring to the market.

FWIW the IEA predicts that solar will hit 400 GW by 2020. I think it will get to that level by end of 2017. The fossil fuel industry loves the IEA forecasts because they suggest long lasting demand for fossils. It is hard to know what a "conservative" forecast should even mean. The IEA puts out a very optimistic forecast for fossil fuels and pessimistic forecast for renewables. These biases imply very serious economic consequences if proven wrong. These biases are part of why all fossil fuels are in a massive glut right now, why there were years of over investment in fossil supply for demand that never materialized. Bad forecasts lead to bad investments. So if IEA truly wanted an economically conservative forecast, they need to route out their bias against renewables and energy efficiency. Both are driven by technology, are driven by cost savings, and have the potential to undermine investments in fossil fuels. If solar misses it's forecasted demand by 1% in a year, it would have practically no impact on the economy. But if oil misses 1% of forecast, it is an economic disaster, a glut that takes years to resolve. So a conservative forecast really ought to stress test soft demand for fossil fuels. Conversely if supply for fossils prove tight, then energy prices go up. This triggers hypergrowth in renewables and EVs. This is not nearly as bad for the global economy as a fossil fuel glut. Indeed, if it is not too extreme, say oil over $115/b, then it may actually benefit the global economy. So the IEA really has their biases pointing in the wrong direction.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a huge gap traders may want to fill. This may be the last hope of some shorts.

Got it - assuming that's the $44 level, correct?

Well, on Dec 15, the high was $44.50 and the close was $40.05. I don't know the trader folklore well enough to know what level really counts as closing the gap.

It is also important to know that these prices were before Congress struck a deal to extend ITC. So there are serious reasons why the market may not want to test those prices.

It might be fun to put a limit order to buy somewhere between $40 and $44. Shorts should know they're not going to get off that easy.

View attachment 106616

+1 for your chart. Notice the perfect symmetry. If it can break above $60, $80 should, based on technicals happen soon after. Thursday in my view will be the deciding factor. Thousands of very angry people will be represented at the meeting on Thursday.

Last edited:
ELECTRICITY: SolarCity plans to sell Hawaii on off-grid solar package using Tesla battery -- Wednesday, May 6, 2015 -- www.eenews.net

lets remember, Hawaii hasn't been a growth market for over 2 years now for Solarcity. At the analyst day presentation, Lyndon rive stated Hawaii in 2016 will finally be a growth year for them with the new solar+storage offering.

peter rive also stated powerwall is $4k installed, not $5k stated just 7 months ago. In addition, 30% tax credit applies to the entire system, storage as well... So, what is the lease/ppa cost per kWh after full 30% credit? Also how attractive is 50% depreciation to tax equity investors now with the new ITC extension?

In addition, we all need to realize demand will not change with the new extension as some short players are pumping in the media. Solarcity lease/ppa customers don't care about the ITC, that's not the selling point. Solarcity customers only care about cost per kWh. So, the idea demand will sag because of lack of urgency is completely nonsensical. The truth is Solarcity will see a trendies influx of tax equity demand now. Which, translates in greater capital support for increased compounding growth(which then translates to further cost reductions). The abs offerings will be much bigger and more frequent as a result of 50% depreciation and the scale of installs/growth Solarcity. It's a powerful reinforcing cycle, not even close to what gordon johnson is pumping in the news.

with regard to solarcity's legal cases, they haven't lost a single one they've been apart of, afaik. We should see movement on the Arizona utilty anti trust case, as well as resolution to the 1603 treasury case in the first half of 2016. In addition, we should see some interesting results from Hawaii through the appellate process and probably the same with regard to Nevada's PUC decision(as I feel this will go to court as well).

Lastly, we all have to remember that Solarcity and company are breaking new legal ground here and will most likely see success through the court system as a new legal precedent will established for all future cases that may come down the line. The results of Arizona, Nevada, and Hawaii cases will give momentum to how the rest of the country will forge forward with dg. A massive deterrent to bad policy is strong legal precedent supporting proper valuation of dg as well as legal protection against anti competitive actions of monopoly utilities.

2016 will be a very informative year for Solarcity and dg in general. If the conditions for a massive squeeze were ever possible, 2016 might be the year for it...

Last edited:
Thanks, Foghat. It's good to hear from you. I like the idea of re-engagement in Hawaii with Powerpacks in hand.

After Tax-Equity, the customer will likely need to come up with about $2800 worth of payments over 10 years. So this works out to $29.91/month. Or if the customer signs up for 20 year battery contract, to include a replacement in year 11, they can back load some of the cost of the first battery recognizing that the replacement battery will be much cheaper. Assuming replacement cost comes down from $4000 by 10% per year for two years and discounting by 6% gets to a present value replacement cost of $779. Also SolarCity does not even need the cash for the replacement upfront. So the 20 year lease could be offered at $24.53. If you stick a 2.2% escalator on this, you can start at $20.63/month in the first year. Tack that onto a 5kW generating about 600 kWh/month at 13c/kWh, and you get a combined monthly payment of about $99, or 16.44c/kWh combined solar plus storage. IIRC, HECO is charging north of 24c/kWh so this is a killer deal. Moreover, there's not much left that HECO can do to make it worse. The feed-in tariff is 0, and time varying rates only make the stored power even more valuable, discharging when rates are highest.

It will be exciting to see just how they package this. I believe that for a 5kW PV plus 7 kWh PW, the price per kWh will be about 16.5 cents. That's my prediction. We'll see how close it is.

James, what are your observations on the power output of powerwalls? Here is a related quote and this has bugged me since a while. Looks like you are generally using a single powerwall for your math. I wonder if that is enough.

the juice it offers is but a sip. The model puts out just 2 kilowatts of continuous power, which could be pretty much maxed out by a single vacuum cleaner, hair drier, microwave oven or a clothes iron.

Here is the source. But rest of the article is not very relevant to specific scenarios like HI, so please feel free to ignore the rest.

Brokerage offering

Well, this could be an indication just how desperate the shorts are getting.

This is fantastic news. I was worried that shorts were taking this $49-55 lul in news-triggered momentum to close out their position and cut losses. That just doesn't seem to be how they operate. Thankfully!

I hope Lyndon's team is crafting their comments very carefully for the next earnings call. Keep it moderate and then drop the real guidance bomb in April/May to trigger the mega-squeeze.

James, what are your observations on the power output of powerwalls? Here is a related quote and this has bugged me since a while. Looks like you are generally using a single powerwall for your math. I wonder if that is enough.

Here is the source. But rest of the article is not very relevant to specific scenarios like HI, so please feel free to ignore the rest.

Hawaii has their self supply option so an "off-grid" customer can still be tied to the grid if necessary. Avg power usage is < 650kWh/month. In many areas weather is consistent year round and the west side of most islands get minimal rainfall. If the panels can supply power during the day and use excess power to charge the powerwall, a 7kWh might just scrape by. But the math to add two powerwalls would probably put the cost at 20c give or take and that would suffice for off grid in Hawaii.

I know Elon said at the shareholders meeting that the Powerwall would be increased to 7 kW peak, but why does Tesla's own website still show 3.3 kW? I also see the 10kWh is not shown in the Specs.

https://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall#specs

because that page is hopelessly outdated. It still says this:

Powerwall begins shipping in late 2015 and requires installation by a trained electrician. Reserve yours today and you'll be contacted to arrange installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.