Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
California PUC proposes storage buy to deal with Aliso Canyon gas shortage

While the natural gas constraints in southern California are creating short-term reliability issues, they could also provide lessons for how to reduce the need for fossil fuels on the grid. Throughout the crafting of the Aliso Canyon Action Plan, environmentalists pressed officials to use the crisis to position the state to transition away from its growing reliance on natural gas.

While the action plan is still more focused on gas supply than greens would have liked, state officials are starting to sing a similar tune:

“The near term challenge is to reduce Southern California’s reliance on Aliso Canyon,” Robert B. Weisenmiller, chair of the California Energy Commission, wrote to Utility Dive last month. “And there is a long-term trend to reduce our reliance on natural gas.”

Jigar was co-founder and the first CEO of Sunedison (assuming the Jigar above is that Jigar, which is likely) and did/does a lot of the first innovative clean energy financing including PPA.

Since I mostly don't like the effect of PPA on residential solar, I say "burn the witch" :) But SCTY bulls should be simpatico.

Jigar is good to follow for his clean energy perspectives.

What they won't be able to insert into a business model is the stability of being the front-runner since the beginning. Thanks to Elon as a spiritual and financial backstop, SCTY isn't going anywhere. Could that be said about other PPA operators?

Brand value hypothesis. I buy that for Tesla, but solar panels are perceived differently; they're becoming such a commodity I don't believe SCTY has much brand value. SunPower has some brand value due to their many-year record of "most efficient commercially available panels".

After customers don't need to be "educated" about solar and sales costs drop industry-wide... does SCTY have a cost advantage on installs? I actually can't tell. Maybe, maybe not. Their panels are not currently the cheapest per watt in the industry, though the theory is that the Silevo factory is supposed to change that... but of course it isn't actually running yet. Their racking costs are totally obscured at this point, and I see no way of identifying them any more. They have no known advantages in installation procedure or design (maybe they have an advantage but I don't know of one) and they have a disadvantage in permitting (local installers have an advantage in permitting).

In any case, the issue is - as an investor (or a potential investor) I don't even know what to look at or how to validate or value the business model anymore. In every single report Raymond James used to put a phrase like "Valuing SCTY is more of an art than science". It actually slowly progressed into becoming Abstract Art...
This is where I am. SCTY could be undervalued by a factor of 100 or overvalued by a factor of 100 and I really do not believe that I can tell from the information available to the public.

Just as a pure academic exercise I will spend a day or two on it late this week. Will post if I find anything interesting.

At some point customer acquisition cost can either drown the organization or destroy the business model from within. Monetizing all the way out to 20 years is an amazing step and a huge positive, but sales cost is going to come down industry-wide some day soon and SCTY needs to be ready for it.

It's all well and good to pay a sales force $.55/W when you have no other choice, but Germans pay about $.02/W in sales cost.
That tells you where sales costs have to end up. Germany has higher labor costs than the US -- and worse sunlight, so the inherent value of the panels is lower. Arguably the feed-in tarriff made panels more of a "no brainer" there than here, but dropping module prices will make panels a no-brainer here too soon enough. There's absolutely no reason for the US sales costs to be higher than they are in Germany, long term.

Can SCTY compete in that environment?

It's worth remembering that SolarCity is immediately monetizing all its future cash flows. This means they don't have much tangible book value. This is not like Tesla, where the huge factories have an inherent value. Theoretically the Silevo factory will have such value if it ever gets going.

SolarCity is not just a bet on residential solar. Residential solar does compete directly with utility solar, and tends to be more expensive. But residential solar adds the extra value of self-control, ownership, etc., and people pay a premium for that. A huge premium. People want some grid-independence, even if it's not perfect, and will pay a lot for it.

Unfortunately, SolarCity's PPA model *removes* all those benefits; anyone paying the premium for a certain amount of grid-independence does not want a PPA, they want outright ownership. SolarCity seems to be a bet on very specific financing models. I do not think those financing models are sustainable. A residential PPA will turn out to be more expensive than buying your power from a utility solar farm (which is actually pretty close to what I am *already doing*), and contains none of the "I control it myself" features.

The other motivation for the PPAs is monetizing the ITC for those who can't use it directly, but this is a temporary phenomenon driven by the tax code and will become irrelevant in a few years.

When you eliminate the PPAs, I don't think SolarCity has an advantage in the straight-up sales market; it looks like they lose money there, actually.
This is the SolarCity thread, no one is "paying" anything for rooftop solar here. Every SCTY PPA market is priced 10-15% below local grid prices.
No, they're not. Obviously they have to advertise numbers below the current local grid price... but those are first-year prices SolarCity includes a 2.9% annual escalator in their PPAs, so it's very likely they'll end up being higher than utility prices within a couple of years. There's no reason to expect utility rates to escalate that fast given the installation of utility-scale solar, and in fact my utility rates haven't gone up in 7 years. You can get a non-escalator PPA but they'll quote you more than the local grid price, as least in the parts of the country with fairly low grid prices (California and Hawaii are another matter).

This is why a 2% escalator will never(in the short term) be an issue. On the first ~10 years of a 20 year contract signed today with SCTY in southeastern PA, you will NEVER see grid prices go down. As the customer(revenue) base is eroded by solar, the fossil/nuclear utility will need to raise rates in order to cover the static overall cost.
We separated generation from distribution in NY over ten years ago. So this is not what happens here. Grid prices have stayed constant, because the grid charges for transmission, and I can buy my generation from whatever utility solar farm I like.

You're describing a situation in PA where *utility solar* has been artificially hobbled by a vertically integrated utility which is cross-subsidizing its old fossil and nuclear plants out of the amounts customers are paying for grid access (transmission & distribution). I think the utility solar lobby is strong enough that this situation is not going to persist, especially since we've already gotten rid of it in several states.

Residential solar will be competing with utility solar.

Now, I think there's a strong and permanent market for "own your own" residential solar, particularly with batteries -- the product being demanded here is grid-independence, resilience against the regular blackouts, a way to say "go to hell" to the utility company. People will pay huge premiums for that, and it can be twice as expensive as utility solar and still sell very well. But SolarCity has no competitive edge in that, at least not yet.

I've got to object to the idea that the value of a PPA or lease is linked to the value of the solar system. This is not collateral lending like a mortgage, where the borrower has a kind of put option on the value of the collateral in the form of a default. (I work in mortgage finance.) In practice, very few mortgage investors would every default strategically to excise this option even when their home is severely below the remaining balance. Rather, even in the recent housing crisis. Defaults were driven by financial distress, especially the loss of employment, rather than decline in home value.

While this is true, a rash of stories of customers who are locked into way-above-market prices for years would certainly put some hurt on SolarCity's reputation and make it hard for them to get new customers.

Yes, customers are likely to continue paying their PPAs -- just like they pay their mortgages -- even if they're underwater. But they'll be *bitter* about it.

Meanwhile, SolarCity has already monetized all those future income streams from the existing PPAs by securitization. So that income is already accounted for and spent. Sure, the investors in the Special Purpose Vehicles backed by the PPAs will get their money from the bitter and angry customers.

But what happens to SolarCity at that point? With a reputation as the "price-gouging" company which saddled all these people with overpriced electricity while promising zero down... do they really get more customers, or do customers go to the competition?

Obviously, if the Silevo factory in Buffalo is churning out solar panels which are significantly cheaper per-watt than all of the competition while being very efficient, none of this will matter. But if it's not, I don't see SolarCity having an advantage in the *highly competitive* solar market.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
Status
Not open for further replies.