Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I slightly modified my fix to further improve the noise elimination. When you open your door and peek between the door and the fender, you can see the insert as well as the lower part of the A-pillar opening. I noticed that a small gap still remained. I inserted a piece of sponge into that hole to fully close the a-pillar. No more noise, regardless of the wind direction.
Apparently, wind can cause the noise when it enters from the side, between the fender and the door.

I also received the rubber band from abstract ocean to put around the glass roof. It was easy to mount. My roof is not perfectly aligned with the car, resulting in uneven gaps. I had to pull on the tube to make it thinner, in order to put it in on all sides. As a result, then tension was insufficient on other sides to keep the tube in place when going....a bit faster. I did not lose it, because on one sight it was snuck.
It requires some tweaking and testing the get sufficient tension. Hopefully it will stay in place now.
When testing on the highway, it appeared to be a bit quieter. I wasn't sure about the wind reduction until my mind came up with the thought: i can hear the road noise so clearly. So yes, i think it makes a difference in terms of wind noise reduction.

All in all i am most happy with the a-pillar solution as it removes that annoying crispy-vortex-resonance sound.
Thanks to the stereo you can outpower the remaining 'normal' wind sounds :)

I put Neoprene tubing on mine a long while ago:

View attachment 488171
I slightly modified my fix to further improve the noise elimination. When you open your door and peek between the door and the fender, you can see the insert as well as the lower part of the A-pillar opening. I noticed that a small gap still remained. I inserted a piece of sponge into that hole to fully close the a-pillar. No more noise, regardless of the wind direction.
Apparently, wind can cause the noise when it enters from the side, between the fender and the door.

I also received the rubber band from abstract ocean to put around the glass roof. It was easy to mount. My roof is not perfectly aligned with the car, resulting in uneven gaps. I had to pull on the tube to make it thinner, in order to put it in on all sides. As a result, then tension was insufficient on other sides to keep the tube in place when going....a bit faster. I did not lose it, because on one sight it was snuck.
It requires some tweaking and testing the get sufficient tension. Hopefully it will stay in place now.
When testing on the highway, it appeared to be a bit quieter. I wasn't sure about the wind reduction until my mind came up with the thought: i can hear the road noise so clearly. So yes, i think it makes a difference in terms of wind noise reduction.

All in all i am most happy with the a-pillar solution as it removes that annoying crispy-vortex-resonance sound.
Would something like this work? https://www.amazon.com/Open-Cell-Conditioner-Insulating-Resilience-Soundproofing/dp/B07MM1X1JT
The sponge is easy, I just don't like the idea of a material used to hold water pressed against an area already known to develop rust. Maybe a close cell foam version would be even better?

Do you have a pic of the new mod?

IMG_20191217_075751.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen and sa012
I bought it and I tried doing this on my 2020 P3D-. I just can’t shove it in... that can mean that the gaps are smaller now, which I guess is a good thing for build quality? Guess I will use the trusty sponges.

Oh, sorry it didn't work out, but, yeah, you may be right about better gaps now. Mine is an early 2018 car with gaps that were wider than I would normally expect on a car in this price range.

• Funny
Reactions: AlexMasters
I bought it and I tried doing this on my 2020 P3D-. I just can’t shove it in... that can mean that the gaps are smaller now, which I guess is a good thing for build quality? Guess I will use the trusty sponges.

While I can’t say whether my car’s gaps are bigger than yours or not, I did have to spend some time to push these in.

The key for me was to douse soapy water on the tubing, and stretch it along as I pushed it in.

The trick with the tubing is to start at either end (the one closer to the door seems easier). Use tension in the tubing and a bit of pressure against the A pillar to your advantage. Then wedge the tubing in leaving a bit to fold/wedge under the windshield trim cover.

The idea here is NOT to insert the tubing into the panel gap so that it falls in there and/or wedges itself between the fender outer skin and A pillar inner sheet metal... but to fill the open space panel gap so as to prevent wind from entering.

Best to do a few test fits with slightly elongated pieces and trim to fit AFTER (they stretch).

Re foam or sponge, similar concept but this time from below and you so want to let it expand into the triangular wedge shape directly below the panel gap. I found its best to use 2 pieces of adhesive foam and instead of glueing them to any given surface, glue them to each other, cram in there and let each side expand and fill the gaps perpendicular to the front/back edge of the panel and down toward the little ledge/sill you see in the pics above.