Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some 2022 Model Ys shipping with MCU3 (AMD Ryzen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my Model Y NF370xxx this afternoon, AMD ryzen, double front glass and single rear glass.
To my surprise, the estimated 100% range is 331miles which is closer to the currently updated 330mi on website rather than 326mi when I ordered.

I do feel quite a bit more low-frequency noises in the cabin compared to my 2019 model 3, but the Y is definitely much quite overall. The accurate direction of low-frequency sound is hard to determine, but I feel it comes from the rear part of the car, cannot determine is the single panel rear window or the trunk door to blame.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
I talked to two SAs and they both confirmed Intel CPU and non-li-ion battery for my NF380XXX VIN (MYLR).

Is there any chance that both of them could be wrong about that spec? I'll be picking it up next week and looking at how much slower the infotainment seems with the Intel CPU compared to AMD (source
), I'm wondering if it's worth accepting the delivery.
That video is super misleading. MCU2 is NOT that slow, unless it's hobbled by a slow internet connection, in which case MCU3 would have the same issue. Whomever filmed that either didn't control for Internet connection quality, or they deliberately mislead.

Also my understanding is most/all of the other apps shown there on those Chinese-market cars are basically web apps rendered by the browser. So they'll be hobbled by a slow connection same as the map, AND they'll be hobble by MCU2 slowness more than most apps on US market cars.

All that said...MCU3 is most definitely truly faster by a large margin! Just that video is super misleading, MCU2 isn't nearly that slow in practice.

Personally I would reject an MCU2 car at this point, UNLESS you have unusual circumstances that really force you to take this car. For example, if you've been delaying delivery of a very old, much cheaper priced reservation and Tesla is saying they'll cancel if you reject this car...then just accept the car of course. :) Or if you desperately need a car right now, just accept it and don't stress about it, MCU2 is perfectly fine and the car drives just as well either way. I needed a car last fall. So I got one, with MCU2 then of course. Do I wish it had MCU3? Absolutely. Do I regret buying the car then? Not at all.

Last edited:
Just took delivery of my Model Y NF370xxx this afternoon, AMD ryzen, double front glass and single rear glass.
To my surprise, the estimated 100% range is 331miles which is closer to the currently updated 330mi on website rather than 326mi when I ordered.

I do feel quite a bit more low-frequency noises in the cabin compared to my 2019 model 3, but the Y is definitely much quite overall. The accurate direction of low-frequency sound is hard to determine, but I feel it comes from the rear part of the car, cannot determine is the single panel rear window or the trunk door to blame.
I am working through the low freq noise in my MYP as well. How much of it was in my much noisier 19 M3RWDLR that I just didn’t hear… who knows. But it is absolutely there and distracting in my 22 MY

That video is super misleading. MCU2 is NOT that slow, unless it's hobbled by a slow internet connection, in which case MCU3 would have the same issue. Whomever filmed that either didn't control for Internet connection quality, or they deliberately mislead.

Also my understanding is most/all of the other apps shown there on those Chinese-market cars are basically web apps rendered by the browser. So they'll be hobbled by a slow connection same as the map, AND they'll be hobble by MCU2 slowness more than most apps on US market cars.

All that said...MCU3 is most definitely truly faster by a large margin! Just that video is super misleading, MCU2 isn't nearly that slow in practice.

Personally I would reject an MCU2 car at this point, UNLESS you have unusual circumstances that really force you to take this car. For example, if you've been delaying delivery of a very old, much cheaper priced reservation and Tesla is saying they'll cancel if you reject this car...then just accept the car of course. :) Or if you desperately need a car right now, just accept it and don't stress about it, MCU2 is perfectly fine and the car drives just as well either way. I needed a car last fall. So I got one, with MCU2 then of course. Do I wish it had MCU3? Absolutely. Do I regret buying the car then? Not at all.

Called Tesla just earlier, support person confirmed F380XXX VIN is also an Intel chip. Got the short end of the stick guys :( Hope the performance is not so inferior as suggested compared to the AMD one but definitely not getting the full potential of what the car can do.

Called Tesla just earlier, support person confirmed F380XXX VIN is also an Intel chip. Got the short end of the stick guys :( Hope the performance is not so inferior as suggested compared to the AMD one but definitely not getting the full potential of what the car can do.
I'm sure it's fine. Its only been out for like 2 months. The other 2+ years of MY had Intel.

If it frustrates you, order another and sell your car when it's ready for pickup... lol

Picked up MYP today! Everything seems to be perfect, did a quick walk through not seeing any issue. VIN 373XXX built last week. I think it came with AMD CPU per SA, and the UI speed is fantastic, but if there's a way to confirm with on-screen display I can double-check.

Mud flap - No
Rear ppf - No
Double-pane front
Single-pane rear
Michelins AS
Heated wiper? How do I check?
12-V? How do I check?

IMG_2823.jpeg

Picked up MYP today! Everything seems to be perfect, did a quick walk through not seeing any issue. VIN 373XXX built last week. I think it came with AMD CPU per SA, and the UI speed is fantastic, but if there's a way to confirm with on-screen display I can double-check.

Mud flap - No
Rear ppf - No
Double-pane front
Single-pane rear
Michelins AS
Heated wiper? How do I check?
12-V? How do I check?

Go to Service > Additional Vehicle Information, to determine if you have AMD versus Intel. I'm not sure how to check for heated wipers. For the battery, you need to open the hood and remove some plastic parts to take a look.

Go to Service > Additional Vehicle Information, to determine if you have AMD versus Intel. I'm not sure how to check for heated wipers. For the battery, you need to open the hood and remove some plastic parts to take a look.
Heated wiper park will show in the climate screen only after updating to 2022.4.5 - you can also check the wiring under the front shroud near the 12V battery

Reactions: DrGriz
Picked up an LR yesterday with VIN 378xxx.

AMD, haven't checked battery yet but expect LiIon.
That's interesting.
  • I had a VIN NF3789xx assigned on 2/9 which "left" production on 2/12 and was an INTEL MCU according to SA. I rejected.
  • Just a moment ago I got a new lower VIN NF3783xx in the same range after releasing order hold on 2/16 after SA confirmed that all builds are now with AMD MCU again. Let's see... It's my last chance. I cannot reject or hold again.
MYLR5, blue/black, 19”, tow, FSD. OD 9/19