Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some getting EAP for free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was supercharging a couple weeks ago and another model 3 owner was there and we talked about how we liked the car. He said he didn’t order EAP but has had it since his delivery in June. I thought ya ya whatever. This past weekend a friend of mine who also has the 3 was over for dinner and we talked and he mentioned he loved the adaptive cruise control. I said oh I thought you weren’t getting EAP, (we both ordered the same car except colour) and he said he didn’t. I went out to the car and touched the auto pilot screen and sure enough his settings are different than mine. He has ACC. Always has since delivery.

Anyone hear about this from others?

• Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja
There has been reports of free EAP since April. I read about it and I was like WHAT THE HECK!!! and thought about ordering without EAP to see if I can get lucky and get it for free.

But knowing my luck i know I won’t. So I ordered it.

So yes. There are more than a handful of people who didn’t order EAP but got it for free. Some Tesla caught. Some they didn’t.

There has been reports of free EAP since April. I read about it and I was like WHAT THE HECK!!! and thought about ordering without EAP to see if I can get lucky and get it for free.

But knowing my luck i know I won’t. So I ordered it.

So yes. There are more than a handful of people who didn’t order EAP but got it for free. Some Tesla caught. Some they didn’t.

I guess the thing to keep in mind is that once they discover it they can cut it off anytime they want. All they have to say is that they were giving you a free trial, and it's over. Then you're on the hook for an extra $1000 if you want it back.

Some Tesla caught. Some they didn’t.

There's no "catching". It's simply a code that you get when you pay, or for a free trial when not. The free trial ones will all be updated when this promo ends. Sirius does the same thing. None will work who have not paid. The most important thing with a company is revenue and things like this do not slip through the cracks with Tesla looking to "catch" people (unless you're hacking).

There's no "catching". It's simply a code that you get when you pay, or for a free trial when not. The free trial ones will all be updated when this promo ends. Sirius does the same thing. None will work who have not paid. The most important thing with a company is revenue and things like this do not slip through the cracks.
You think everything works as intended. It doesn’t. Some have had free EAP since forever like late last year. Just because you don’t want to accept that you paid for yours and others got it for free doesn’t meant it doesn’t exist.

A lot less people are coming out in public to admitting it because they don’t want a free $5k option to be taken away.

Reactions: WallyP
Funny how I paid for it and didnt get it until service pushed it after taking delivery. Happened to others here as well. Either way, free trial seems like a nice hook. Definitely a new era of customer to manufacture relationship!

You think everything works as intended. It doesn’t. Some have had free EAP since forever like late last year. Just because you don’t want to accept that you paid for yours and others got it for free doesn’t meant it doesn’t exist. A lot less people are coming out in public to admitting it because they don’t want a free $5k option to be taken away.

Of course not everything works as intended and good on the wishful thinking but we can't declare a winner until Tesla ends the free trial. I suspect they turned it on for a lot of people not paying for it since it costs them nothing and can make them a fortune later -- like Sirius does a lot. But only time will tell since the promo will end. But then you will say no one will post here about it or risk losing it, so you've hedged your bets. As to not accepting it -- I have no ulterior motive since it wasn't even a consideration for me when I bought. I would have bought it regardless. I barely use it but had to have it just to show family and friends, since I bought my S before it came out. The money involved doesn't concern me but I do want Tesla to do well, and my TSLA shares, so they shouldn't be giving it out for free -- but if a few get it free then more power to them. I'm not like a little kid who can't enjoy my one cookie if the kid next to me gets two -- but it's telling that you automatically go there. I was just stating facts from my perspective. There was no reason to challenge me personally or my motive.

Funny how I paid for it and didnt get it until service pushed it after taking delivery.

Not funny really since the default is no code. Getting it inserted when it shouldn't be doesn't happen by default. It does by promo though.

My nephew has had free EAP since the day he took his Model 3. He thought it was a trial, and I mistakenly thought it was jut a trial every car got.

Tesla should be able to true stuff up eventually with an audit otherwise there will be end to attempts to change the one digit from 0 to 1 that would boost AWD Models 0-60 by 1 second.

My nephew has had free EAP since the day he took his Model 3. He thought it was a trial, and I mistakenly thought it was jut a trial every car got.

Tesla should be able to true stuff up eventually with an audit otherwise there will be end to attempts to change the one digit from 0 to 1 that would boost AWD Models 0-60 by 1 second.

Yes, they will run audits every now and then like Sirius does -- and knock out anyone without a matching payment, since that always gets a boost in revenue and auditors know there's only so many places to look and milk revenue from.

But I don't see them doing that for at least a year. People need AP for at least a few months to really understand and appreciate it -- and more importantly to want it -- and Tesla knows that. Next year at this time is my guess as to when we start to see the audit taking place. I also suspect Tesla activates it for anyone who shows an interest in it, or that Tesla suspects may buy it later if they had it for a while, and do not buy it. There must be an internal memo on this, given its potential for revenue in the future, as they are giving everyone the hardware for free. That's easier to accept on the S/X, where vehicle costs are higher, and more people probably buy it anyway. But the 3 needs more strategies to sell it -- and this looks like a good one to me.

But that's only my guess and I've been wrong lots before but my arguments make sense to me. ;) And when Sirius knocked out the free sub on my 2012 Leaf -- bought used up from the States, after being free for nearly two years, it hit us hard -- but I told my kids to expect it because I wasn't paying for it and sooner or later we will get the audit and cut signal -- and sure enough we did. But despite complaining by my kids, I held my ground and didn't subscribe. I already have Sirius subs for my S and 3 (lifetime subs with the Pre-FTC strong FM signal because Tesla does't have a simple headphone jack!).

Last edited:
It’s like a drug dealer handing out “free samples.” Once the users are hooked, they’ll need their fix and can’t do without. Tesla is pulling some American Gangster style stuff here. Autopilot is Tesla’s “Blue Magic.” It’s no coincidence the autopilot icons are blue. Well played Tesla, well played :cool:

General theory is that this happens when someone who purchased EAP can't/won't take delivery and the VIN gets assigned to someone who didn't and Tesla misses changing the option on the car.

I sure hope that someone can run a quick query to identify all those cars and then reach out to them to give them the option to keep it for $5k, or have it turned off.