Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Balloon clues? Is that how your Tesla operates sans motor? Concrete balloons travel an obfuscated orbit.....Poe's Law directs traffic......
Well it certainly doesn’t operate on fairy dust like yours clearly does. Just pointing out that not everyone knows what a calboy is. Probably because it’s local slang or colloquialism, it means the sum total of feck all in UK.

Ok, listen, I understand I've been poking fun at this issue and that some folks don't wear that so well. But it's necessary. Twice here people have directly stated there was an argument that two taps are better than one. That is a totally absurd invention. No one has ever made such an argument, nor could anyone sustain that ideea. That was an expanded assumption. Some functions now require two taps where previously only one was required and some require one where previously two were needed. One person even expanded the absurdity to......well it you think 2 is better than 1 why not 10. What? That breaks logical fallacies' little necks.

What I was making fun of was the exaggerated, rounded-up idea that there was a critical danger to having to tap twice to adjust the seat heat, set defrost, or check tire pressure, while driving. Windshield wiper control has always been a mess, better now. Previously you had to swipe a "card", hoping to recall the correct direction, and then tap. More than a two-tap process. I understand some find changes inconvenient, at times overwhelming, and that we all have our preferences based on myriad factors, however, to attempt to bolster a weak argument with a perceived threat of death or destruction is an issue that requires a response. It needs to be made fun of. It's simply absurd. For those "moving on" just pretend you didn't read this. It's all cool.......

Last edited:
Reactions: ajstan and WhiteWi
Windshield wiper control has always been a mess, better now. Previously you had to swipe a "card
False. There was a one tap icon that brought up the card. Not saying wipers were/are not a mess, they are. And the icon is coming back.

People dismissing the impact of adding a tap to a habit-behavior do not understand the nuances of critical functions in driving UI. It's a field of science, really, and takes decades to master, and entire departments at Toyota, for example, to implement, with hundreds of skilled staff at all levels, mentoring new staff over periods of years. Decisions have to be made in the context of the current competence and understanding of the general public, so what might be best or even OK in a clean sheet design environment (new user, never drove before) may absolutely not be ok for the public market.

It's too complex to get into any detail here, but one example of a challenge in the space: variation in wiper wash: there are about 4 places it lives, left or right stalk, twist or end button push.

Tesla (in the Y/3 anyway) uses left button push for wash, right for park. This is risky. I swap between the Y and a Subaru. Twice, I've hit the right button on the Y when I wanted wash, after a week in the Subaru, and got the e-stop warning.

There are several well established ways to engage P or an e brake. This is not really something that should be disrupted. Better would have been to design within current state of the art context.

Y'all would probably be surprised and the length of my ignore list. I'm just here looking forward new bugs in latest releases, so I can judge when the new updates are actually ready to use. Ignorant commentary from people who really have no idea how this works is really tedious.

You shouldn’t ever really need to check your tire pressure. When it gets low, it tells you. My 2021 M3 LR did this for me. Things you don’t use often shouldn’t be one tap away, and moving the tire pressure off the main screen makes total sense.

If your tire pressure is often low, you aren’t getting the proper tires and filling them up correctly (or whomever is doing this for you). You should be checking your pressure once a month at most… and even then, your car will tell you when there is a problem.

I will never understand the people who complain about this.
The AI sucks. Here's an example: I had all 4 tires at roughly the same pressure. Except the left rear tire was losing about 0.5-1 PSI/day. I caught the problem after about 2-3 days when I checked the tire pressures on the display. But the car's AI was too stupid to realize that one tire losing 0.5-1 PSI/day, completely out of line with the other tires (i.e. it's not ambient temperature that is causing the decrease), was actually a problem. It probably would have waited until that one tire was some 20-25% underinflated before it even alerted me.

When they figure out how to put common sense algorithms like that into the automatic alerts, let me know (but knowing Tesla, they'll screw something else up when adding that feature). Until then, they should give me the tire pressure card back.

False. There was a one tap icon that brought up the card. Not saying wipers were/are not a mess, they are. And the icon is coming back.

People dismissing the impact of adding a tap to a habit-behavior do not understand the nuances of critical functions in driving UI. It's a field of science, really, and takes decades to master, and entire departments at Toyota, for example, to implement, with hundreds of skilled staff at all levels, mentoring new staff over periods of years. Decisions have to be made in the context of the current competence and understanding of the general public, so what might be best or even OK in a clean sheet design environment (new user, never drove before) may absolutely not be ok for the public market.

It's too complex to get into any detail here, but one example of a challenge in the space: variation in wiper wash: there are about 4 places it lives, left or right stalk, twist or end button push.

Tesla (in the Y/3 anyway) uses left button push for wash, right for park. This is risky. I swap between the Y and a Subaru. Twice, I've hit the right button on the Y when I wanted wash, after a week in the Subaru, and got the e-stop warning.

There are several well established ways to engage P or an e brake. This is not really something that should be disrupted. Better would have been to design within current state of the art context.

Y'all would probably be surprised and the length of my ignore list. I'm just here looking forward new bugs in latest releases, so I can judge when the new updates are actually ready to use. Ignorant commentary from people who really have no idea how this works is really tedious.

Well said.

Ergonomics are very important when operating vehicles, or planes or anywhere where safety is involved.

This is not a smartphone we are talking about, after all.

The AI sucks. Here's an example: I had all 4 tires at roughly the same pressure. Except the left rear tire was losing about 0.5-1 PSI/day. I caught the problem after about 2-3 days when I checked the tire pressures on the display. But the car's AI was too stupid to realize that one tire losing 0.5-1 PSI/day, completely out of line with the other tires (i.e. it's not ambient temperature that is causing the decrease), was actually a problem. It probably would have waited until that one tire was some 20-25% underinflated before it even alerted me.

When they figure out how to put common sense algorithms like that into the automatic alerts, let me know (but knowing Tesla, they'll screw something else up when adding that feature). Until then, they should give me the tire pressure card back.

It will not even need AI. Simple threshold comparing the tires and triggering a warning when one or two are off by more than certain PSI from the largest.

It will not even need AI. Simple threshold comparing the tires and triggering a warning when one or two are off by more than certain PSI from the largest.
It sort of does. If you start out with all tires at say 42 PSI and one of them drops to 38 PSI after 3 months while another is at 39 and the other two are at 41, this isn't necessarily a big issue. You'd pump them all back up to 42 but put slightly more air into the one that has dropped the lowest. But if this 3-4 PSI differential shows up after a mere 72-96 hours and only one one tire, then you have a HUGE problem. It really matters what the trends are and how long it took to get there.

It sort of does. If you start out with all tires at say 42 PSI and one of them drops to 38 PSI after 3 months while another is at 39 and the other two are at 41, this isn't necessarily a big issue. You'd pump them all back up to 42 but put slightly more air into the one that has dropped the lowest. But if this 3-4 PSI differential shows up after a mere 72-96 hours and only one one tire, then you have a HUGE problem. It really matters what the trends are and how long it took to get there.

In the above scenario, the moment there is a 3-4 PSI difference (whether it’s after 96 hours or more) the car should trigger a warning. Right now, it will wait for the PSI to get low enough to meet its threshold, which is probably like 27-28 PSI or something.

So duration of air loss is a don’t care, in my opinion.

The point probably is that it's not critical for safe driving that you need instant 1 click access to the tire pressure. You could pull over or check when the conditions are safe or periodically. Can't you also just leave your service menu up if you're worried. Then you can watch all day long if you choose.

Reactions: PACEMD and WhiteWi
The point probably is that it's not critical for safe driving that you need instant 1 click access to the tire pressure. You could pull over or check when the conditions are safe or periodically. Can't you also just leave your service menu up if you're worried. Then you can watch all day long if you choose.
I could. And then I lose my maps and/or radio controls.

This functionality was working perfectly fine prior to the god-awful v11 UI. In addition, v11 also:

- Removed the ability to control seat heaters except inside of the climate control UI

- Added the ability to have automatic seat heaters (nice) but then sometimes turns on the automatic seat heaters when the climate controls are in air conditioning mode (annoying) and sets the seat heaters to automatic whenever you push the auto button (annoying especially in combination with the previous "feature"). So I go into the climate control menu and I push "auto" because I want the air conditioning on, and then the stupid v11 UI goes and turns on my seat heaters too. :rolleyes: