Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

South Mimms [supercharger parking]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else noticed increasing number of Tesla drivers parking outside of the South Mimms Supercharger area, in the public car park that backs onto the chargers, and charging from the wrong side?

Chaos today, because it becomes completely impossible to judge if a charger is free or not. Properly anti-social.

I've considered it... Never done it.

Maneuvering into the proper slots is a bitch as the two banks are just a mite close and with MXs being wide and driven by Lords of the Road that want to rub up against you

Reactions: icemankaka
Could also be the only option when non EV's are often found parked on the supercharger spots....its really quite pathetic.
South Mimms is often busy with Tesla traffic. I can't see Tesla pilots letting an ICE car park without heavy comment.

They'd be idiots, too, given the cramped charging area and acres of open spaces not a stone's throw away and much closer to the food and bev.

South Mimms is often busy with Tesla traffic. I can't see Tesla pilots letting an ICE car park without heavy comment.

They'd be idiots, too, given the cramped charging area and acres of open spaces not a stone's throw away and much closer to the food and bev.

Oh I was generalising for sure, I've only been to south mimms myself once, although there was 2 ICE vehicles parked on stalls and no Tesla's to be seen (It was about 4am at the time)

Agreed I don't know why ANYONE would want to park that far away if they were not charging their car....but there you go.

Why the hell do people do this. it's "empty" at the lot right now (4 cars inside) but 2 arer charging on the wrong side.
2 weeks ago someone wantted to queue jump by charging on the wrong side. Back in where I come from we publicly name and shame those drivers (cars+plates, actually) on an open facebook group for those abusing the superchargers in most ways people do.

Why the hell do people do this. it's "empty" at the lot right now (4 cars inside) but 2 arer charging on the wrong side.
2 weeks ago someone wantted to queue jump by charging on the wrong side. Back in where I come from we publicly name and shame those drivers (cars+plates, actually) on an open facebook group for those abusing the superchargers in most ways people do.

A lot of the time I think its down to lazyness or sheer incompetence of these drivers. They can't be bothered to or are just unable to drive their vehicle safely into the correctly marked bays, so they don't even try.

Same reason why you will find cars (often ubers) double parked adjacent to a space at the side of the road, with their hazards on, rather than just park in the bloody space and not block the road.

Reactions: PeteSanders
I can see why people do it and can see it’s lazy / anti social but it isn’t really worth getting wound up about. Queue jumping on the other hand is definitely out of order and shows a complete lack of respect for other people. I’ve only experienced it at South Mimms.

I absolutely agree, queue jumping is an absolute no.

But my experience with my first visit to South Mimms was that it is very confusing and I can believe that some do it unintentionally. To get there you have to follow signs that actually lead to to a building site and dead end(if that is still the case) and then once you arrive at the SC you have no clue where the cars are coming from. I somehow still haven't found a way to the SC without breaking there Highway Code and going the wrong way along the parking lot. Might just be me being an idiot.

If you are on the opposite side of the chargers is is not easy to see how to get in due to the one way system. I don't care anymore and just go the wrong way over the parking lot.

I absolutely agree, queue jumping is an absolute no.

But my experience with my first visit to South Mimms was that it is very confusing and I can believe that some do it unintentionally. To get there you have to follow signs that actually lead to to a building site and dead end(if that is still the case) and then once you arrive at the SC you have no clue where the cars are coming from. I somehow still haven't found a way to the SC without breaking there Highway Code and going the wrong way along the parking lot. Might just be me being an idiot.

If you are on the opposite side of the chargers is is not easy to see how to get in due to the one way system. I don't care anymore and just go the wrong way over the parking lot.
My experience exactly.

and when someone reminds you so accordingly.... The chargers were only 4/12 the day i posted but people still feel compelled to charge on the wrong side after a reminder.

the last week had been better since the broken charger's been fixed. but the few weeks before that had been chaotic.

This SC site is so busy, often full and needs expansion, or change existing to V3.
There's planning permission granted this year to install 6 new Tritium chargers at the services and upgrade a substation for the new chargers, so why can't Tesla expand or upgrade?
Apparently the Welcome Break chargers require a power upgrade that's coming in January before they can be powered up. So yes - fingers crossed for South Mimms v3 upgrades....

You wouldn’t try to fill up with petrol at the same pump as another car at the same time would you? So why oh why do people park behind and attach their CCS to their Model 3 when I’m already charging my Model S with the Type 2 (at the same charger)? I get out and educate them that they will break the charger by connecting 2 cars at the same time. There are only 12 chargers, not 20!!!!

You wouldn’t try to fill up with petrol at the same pump as another car at the same time would you? So why oh why do people park behind and attach their CCS to their Model 3 when I’m already charging my Model S with the Type 2 (at the same charger)? I get out and educate them that they will break the charger by connecting 2 cars at the same time. There are only 12 chargers, not 20!!!!
The only times I have had issues in the 12 months I've had my car was the 2 times I've used South Mimms, a X parked behind me and tried to charge , she even tried to unplug my charger and I was sat in the car , I tried to explain to her the issue so she moved to the next space and tried the same with the 3 parked alongside me

The other time it was stupidly busy and a couple of people tried queue jumping , I've avoided these SC's since then ....

Picked up my MYP yesterday and decided to try supercharging. I went 3 times yesterday and today and there were constant queues. Also checked on the app a few times, always 0/12 available. Looks like North London has too many Teslas and not enough superchargers...

Reactions: Alan J
if someone would jump me like this, I would park for the same SC, and would just disconnect the moron's SC and plug into mine :/

I used to park on the other side but I don't need to charge, however parking there confuses people who want to charge.
Last week I had total mayhem as I needed to charge this time, I was waiting, went in, 2 broken chargers. It just so happened someone was leaving so I tried to move but someone jumped the queue and went in before me. I was quite angry but just left.

I used to park on the other side but I don't need to charge, however parking there confuses people who want to charge.
Last week I had total mayhem as I needed to charge this time, I was waiting, went in, 2 broken chargers. It just so happened someone was leaving so I tried to move but someone jumped the queue and went in before me. I was quite angry but just left.
I dunno... if someone jumped the queue and just went to the loo - I would just disconnect his charger.