Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Speculation] Model 3 0.237 kwh/mile!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now that we know the range, how close was the leaked numbers?
The 237 Wh/mile seems spot on for the long range version. With 310 miles range, that implies a net capacity of 73.5 kWh. Gross capacity should be ~74.9 kWh.

The consumption should be even lower for the base version. Call it 10 Wh/mile, so 227 Wh/mile. With 220 miles, that implies a net capacity of 50.0 kWh, and a gross capacity of ~52 kWh.

very...
310 * 0.237 = 73.47 kWh

and 220 * 0.237 = 52.14 kWh

So by the old naming they would be Model 3 55 and model 3 75 but Tesla has decided they don't like the number badging (maybe to get away from the threads that show usable capacity vs badge name).

Now it's apparently called Model 3 or Model 3 Long Range as per

• Curb weight:
    • 3549 lbs. (Model 3)
    • 3814 lbs. (Model 3 Long Range)
  • Weight distribution:
    • 47% front, 53% rear (Model 3)
    • 48% front, 52% rear (Model 3 Long Range)

Tesla has decided they don't like the number badging (maybe to get away from the threads that show usable capacity vs badge name).
Perhaps not as much the threads, which I'm sure they care little about, but definitely the sentiment. And it frees them from battery capacity badging. Range is really what people are buying on, anyway, not capacity.

Keep in mind that the charge rate figures need to include the energy lost in charging the battery, which could easily be 10%. I believe the EPA numbers also include the charging inefficicy.

259Wh/mi for the Model 3, including charging inefficicy, would put the Model 3 between the Hyundai Ioniq and the BMW i3 in terms of EPA efficiency. Based on the fact that the Model 3 should be more aerodynamic than both, I would expect it to be the most efficient highway EV, and probably closer to the Bolt in city driving.

Note that the EPA combined numbers probably shouldn't be directly compared between the Model S and the Model 3. In highway driving I would expect the S100D to blow away the Model 3 in range because weight doesn't matter as much and the Model 3's lower drag won't be enough to make up the battery capacity difference. In city driving, the Model 3's lower weight is a big deal, which could make it a lot more competitive with the 100D.

240Wh/mi seems to be a good estimate for efficiency without charging inefficiency, which is what matters for range.

I'm hoping the price of solar comes down in the not too distant future.

It has been coming down for 50 years. It dropped more this month. It makes energy cheaper than electricity you buy from the grid, in most places. What exactly are you waiting for?

because he's lucky enough to have solar

'smart' not 'lucky'. If you are even considering a Model 3, you can afford solar.

Thank you kindly.

If so, my opinion is that solar would be the better choice. It has an ROI.
My average electric bill is only $60-70 per month including fixed costs. I've done the calculations and if I get a big enough solar installation to disconnect from the grid I lose, if I stay connected to the grid then solar plus fixed grid costs and I lose as well. I imagine in 5-10 years this scenario might change... also when I have kids, but kids aren't scheduled until I get a Model 3 ;)

My average electric bill is only $60-70 per month including fixed costs. I've done the calculations and if I get a big enough solar installation to disconnect from the grid I lose, if I stay connected to the grid then solar plus fixed grid costs and I lose as well. I imagine in 5-10 years this scenario might change... also when I have kids, but kids aren't scheduled until I get a Model 3 ;)
How do those numbers compare with depreciation, insurance, and electricity costs on a Model 3? My guess is favorably. But not nearly as much fun. :)

Would you be willing to send me the particulars? I would like to see if I can help improve that bottom line.

Thank you kindly.

Would you be willing to send me the particulars? I would like to see if I can help improve that bottom line.

Thank you kindly.
Here's a previous bill:
fpyHMI.jpg

This is also why a usage of 0.237 kWh / mi would be fantastic. I like to keep the bill low.

This is probably more helpful
qDBtKu.jpg

Note the connection charge.

Solar would equal cost of solar + batteries + connection charge (recurring).
if I spent $20K on solar + $6.2k for powerwall + $0.8 for installation + $3.384k for connection charge over 30 years = $30.384k
This means for me to save money my average electricity bill would need to be over $84.4

I know there's a govt incentive at the moment, but still I'd barely break even in 30 years time.

Last edited: