Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation - New charging plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't forget that when Elon was confronted with charging at rates with plugs like these were like "a Childs toy"

Believe Tesla is way beyond these plug designs.
He spoke about chargers, not charging rates. Big difference.
Maximum charging rate will not increase significantly this decade for cars. 120kW SC's do max out all Tesla's right now. That includes all Model 3's. Pretty much any battery up to 100kWh.
Tesla could change charger design to 400-600kW version. One charger per 8-12 stalls for example. Much cheaper.

I excluded semis.

How do you know?
Tesla hasn't confirmed

I suppose it might be right, but I believe the 2170 cell will allow for higher charge rates

Elon has mentioned that multiple times. Model S will be faster, more powerful, will have more options, etc.

Why should 2170 allow higher charge rate? Because of cell size? Well, most other EVs use pouch cell hundred times
bigger than 2170...
No, charge rate does not work that way. If anything, then smaller cells can be cooled faster. 18650 has advantage over 2170.
Though costs more to produce.

M3 might charge faster in terms of range due to efficiency. But definitely not in terms of power.
My bet is that Tesla will keep charging rate on M3 near S (in terms of range).
And front bumper design supports my inkling.

• Disagree
Reactions: cizUK
Yes, Model S X will be the fleet leaders in terms of options, but that does not preclude the Model 3 from having more advanced tech "under the hood." I think it is feasible that the Model 3 will have a significantly improved taper curve, at least initially.

Elon has mentioned that multiple times. Model S will be faster, more powerful, will have more options, etc.

Why should 2170 allow higher charge rate? Because of cell size? Well, most other EVs use pouch cell hundred times
bigger than 2170...
No, charge rate does not work that way. If anything, then smaller cells can be cooled faster. 18650 has advantage over 2170.
Though costs more to produce.

M3 might charge faster in terms of range due to efficiency. But definitely not in terms of power.
My bet is that Tesla will keep charging rate on M3 near S (in terms of range).
And front bumper design supports my inkling.
It's the next generation of cells which will likely have greater charge/discharge rates
But believe what you will :rolleyes:

One of the reasons that they change from 18650 to 2170 is that it is a more optimal size/form for cooling vs. capacity and utilization of the space in the battery pack.
The 18650 had the advantage of price based on volume, but as they now scale up, whatever size/form they choice will get that volume they need to give it the price advantage, and they can focus on the other aspects like cooling and to increase the kWh/kg and/or kWh/l.

Last edited:
That can not be true.
Look at the pic ;)
The top two and middle pins are metal, the others are plastic

I'm guessing the rest of the post though...

IMG_1529 - Copy.JPG

• Disagree
Reactions: smac and MP3Mike
Yes, Model S X will be the fleet leaders in terms of options, but that does not preclude the Model 3 from having more advanced tech "under the hood." I think it is feasible that the Model 3 will have a significantly improved taper curve, at least initially.
Well, Elon mentioned specifically that:

"Moving past Q2, particularly as Model 3 becomes available, one of our challenges will be to eliminate any misperception about the differences between Model S and Model 3," Tesla wrote. "We have seen a belief among some that Model 3 is the newest and more advanced generation of Model S. This is not correct."

One of the reasons that they change from 18650 to 2170 is that it is a more optimal size/from for cooling vs. capacity and utilization of the space in the battery pack.
Correct. 18650 is leaning way too much to cooling and sacrificing space. 2170 is way better in terms of volume utilization. Though it is definitely not easier to cool thicker cylinders. Question is: is there a need. With M3, I say no. With P100DL, another story.

Look at the pic ;)
The top two and middle pins are metal, the others are plastic

I'm guessing the rest of the post though...

View attachment 225603

I know what you mean, but your assumption can not possibly be right given what the pins do.

More likely is that the heads of the pins are plastic/covered to make sure they make contact later/lose contact earlier in the insertion/ejection than the control pins.

Well, Elon mentioned specifically that:

"Moving past Q2, particularly as Model 3 becomes available, one of our challenges will be to eliminate any misperception about the differences between Model S and Model 3," Tesla wrote. "We have seen a belief among some that Model 3 is the newest and more advanced generation of Model S. This is not correct."

Correct. 18650 is leaning way too much to cooling and sacrificing space. 2170 is way better in terms of volume utilization. Though it is definitely not easier to cool thicker cylinders. Question is: is there a need. With M3, I say no. With P100DL, another story.

How do you explain this for your P100D then?
Report: Tesla To Transition To 2170 Cell In Model S & X By End Of Year

I'll believe what I believe and leave you to it :)

How do you explain this for your P100D then?
Report: Tesla To Transition To 2170 Cell In Model S & X By End Of Year

I'll believe what I believe and leave you to it :)

Don't assume I blindly believing stuff.

Well, this article isn't' actually worth a lot.
We can assume if S/X switches to 2170 bigger capacity packs can be expected.
But Mr Musk already told us that they will stop at 100kWh for at least some time.
And upgrade to 110-120kWh in 2017 on S/X is not "stopping at 100kWh".

more optimal cooling
Optimal might mean many things. For example running two water jackets in one module - like P100D pack now does.
Or running tube between every row of cell and not every second row. It does make more sense with thicker cylinders.
main-qimg-0adab958ad0cc6725e813569a7faa685-c

I see what you mean
You've got a point
Aren't the US ones only 3 pin though?

I don't know, though it is said to be Level 2 (aka Type 2) compatible, so I guess it would have more than 3...

Anyway, the Euro connector you pointed out shows the control/ground in metal and the actually important pins in plastic, so there is no question it is a safety feature, not signifying unused pins.

Optimal might mean many things. For example running two water jackets in one module - like P100D pack now does.
Or running tube between every row of cell and not every second row. It does make more sense with thicker cylinders.
You are absolutely correct in that optimal cooling might mean many things. But both of your examples could also be done with the 18650 cells - and as you are saying: the do one of them on the 100kWh pack now. It make no sense that the 2170 format would give a more optimal cooling of the cells if it was only changes to the way they run the cooling tubes in the pack. But I have no problems with seeing that it could be a combination of a better size/thickness of the cell and a better cooling loop.

Btw: Was it not mentioned that the new double loop cooling of the 100kWh pack was the debut of the way they would cool the TM3 battery modules?

AnxietyRanger said:
I don't know, though it is said to be Level 2 (aka Type 2) compatible, so I guess it would have more than 3...
The US connector is compatible with Level 2 type 1 (aka J1772). It has 5 pins.

Thanks!

Also, regarding my own Type 2 reference I could have been more clear. To clarify if anyone was confused: In Europe the local equivalent of what people call Level 2 in the U.S. is commonly called just Type 2. Obviously it refers Level 2 Type 2 officially, but for some reason the vocabulary has evolved so that many Americans talk of "Level 2" when talking of J1772 and many Europeans talk of "Type 2" when talking of the Mennekes plug. So roughly speaking, Level 2 = Type 2 in the cross-Atlantic dictionary. :)