Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Speculation] Production 18" Wheels without Aero Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, using a very quick and crude AutoCAD attempt. I took the picture of the wheel with the cover on and traced the openings, traced the valve stem and trace the diameter. I then copied it over to this image. Then I scaled it and rotated it so you can clearly see it's for this wheel.

IMG_1081.JPG

This video is very confusing....he keeps talking about rims, but he focuses on the spokes!....ah, probably means "wheels" and thinks "rims" means the same thing.;)
Depending on where you live, rims = wheels, just like people in different parts of the country say soft drink, soda, pop, soda pop, coke, etc.

The term rim is also used non-technically to refer to the entire wheel, or even to a tire.
The terms wheel and rim are often used synonymously, as in decorative wheels being called rims.

OK, using a very quick and crude AutoCAD attempt. I took the picture of the wheel with the cover on and traced the openings, traced the valve stem and trace the diameter. I then copied it over to this image. Then I scaled it and rotated it so you can clearly see it's for this wheel.

View attachment 241966
Depending on where you live, rims = wheels, just like people in different parts of the country say soft drink, soda, pop, soda pop, coke, etc.

• Funny
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Didn't expect anyone to actually defend this! In some places, folks are incapable of starting a sentence without "I'm like...", but that doesn't make it English, even if many do it! Seems quite clear the rim is the outer edge, the spokes are in the central area, and the entire unit is a wheel, as the thread is titled. I know poor language skills exist; that doesn't mean we have to adopt that low standard.

Didn't expect anyone to actually defend this! In some places, folks are incapable of starting a sentence without "I'm like...", but that doesn't make it English, even if many do it! Seems quite clear the rim is the outer edge, the spokes are in the central area, and the entire unit is a wheel, as the thread is titled. I know poor language skills exist; that doesn't mean we have to adopt that low standard.
Language evolves over time. So it adapts to how people use it.

The people debating rims vs. wheels, i.e. Sportstick: you may have noticed the wheel and the rim are one part here. Changing the wheel = changing the rim.

Languages evolve; please take the next exit off the highway of evolution--plenty of people are happy to stay behind. To avoid being fathomed by a myriad of guys hoping to calm the pearls being desperately clutched.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It's a big country (and world) and not everyone uses the same grammar and vocabulary as you. That doesn't make them wrong...or you right.

How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk

Try doing a search for "rims" on Google and you'll see page after page of listings for wheels/rims.

I was literally just thinking this! ;)

I didn't get that until the third time I read it. :)

Last edited:
I love following Model 3 stuff, its exciting, getting new news (lol) is fun most times. But damn if its not frustrating as all hell that we all have to play Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego to find out if the car had a FOB, or inside door handles, or tires (ok slight exaggeration there but maybe not! New Model 3 conspiracy theory no tires). Sometimes I just want info. I get it we had to wait till the reveal, but it wasn't REALLY a reveal. I mean when the iPhone is announced you generally know most of the key features about the phone. It isn't like "wait so does the phone have texting or no?" question just lingering about. Ah anyways that's my rant brought on by chasing down leads about the Aero rims.

Reactions: insaneoctane
I guess this lack of released information goes with territory of huge backlog of a new product that you haven't ramped the production up on, so you can't sell and even if you were ramped up, you can't deliver for 18 months....

"It's like if you're a restaurant and you're serving hamburgers, and there's like an hour-and-a-half wait for hamburgers - do you really want to encourage more people to order more hamburgers?"

Reactions: Gtosnipey
Aaaanyway...

To me, it's clear these wheels are the Aeros without covers. What I want to know is if this finish is done at the factory. And if not, where did this person get their wheels done because they look fantastic!

Yep, you can see the edge of the lip is the same dark gray as the photos with the covers off.

IMG_1094.JPG
IMG_1095.JPG