Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Speculation] Production 18" Wheels without Aero Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the same reason some people pay for better brakes.

Crazy, right ?

Interestingly, that one is a common myth.

Big brake kits don't actually stop street cars any better or shorter than stock brakes do.

The brakes don't stop the car- the tires do.

The only time "better" brakes matter are:

1) If you're driving a car from the 1950s with stock drum brakes- then an upgrade can do a lot.

or

2) You're driving on a track where you will repeatedly be stopping from 100+ mph in a short period of time- then they STILL won't stop the car any shorter the first time than the stock brakes can- but they will stop it shorter on the 10th repeated stop because they'll be more resistant to fade/heat soak.

See here for a much more detailed explanation from a guy who designs brakes for major OEMs and has literally written books on the topic:

GRM Pulp Friction

Or if you don't feel like reading a multiple-page tech article, just look at the stopping distance tests of the $10,000+ PCCB brake upgrade for Porsches... it doesn't do a damn thing in normal/street use.... from Car and Driver-

C&D said:
The 911 with the PCCB system performed about the same as the other 911 and the Vette. The average stopping distances of the two 911s were within a foot of each other (305 feet), not surprising since both cars were wearing the same tires.

The brakes don't stop the car- the tires do.
As I understand this, a car cannot stop any faster than the threshold where the tyres lock up and skid, but you have to reach that braking force, itself dependent on car mass.

So ....
A good tyre can slow down by as much as ~ 1.2G and a heavy car is about 2000 kg so brakes that can apply ~ 24,000 N are utilized.

Sound about right ?

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Look closely at the side-by-side pictures in the Elektrek article. The aero covers do not show any part of the underlying wheels.

"any part" isn't accurate, because the entire outer edge of the rim is still exposed with the aero cover on.
img_1094-jpg.242170

I have been known to drive up into the winter Sierras in an AWD wagon wearing snow tires. and chains in the back.
Good thing you did, as even 4WD vehicles with snow tires are required to carry chains in California, although the CHP doesn't look closely at them if they ask to see chains. That's why my friend from Truckee carries chains in the back of her Subaru, even though they belonged to her grandfather's 1947 DeSoto. :)

Look closely at the side-by-side pictures in the Elektrek article. The aero covers do not show any part of the underlying wheels.

I posted 2 pictures at the bottom of page 5 of THIS THREAD, (only 1 page before you posted this) showing this to be incorrect.

Note that the valve stems on the bare wheels are off center between the spokes, but centered in the air gap of the aeros.

Also addressed in a photo I posted at the top of the same page referenced above.

It's proven that appropriate season tires make a huge difference. Even if you're a "disciplined" driver, most other morons out there are not. We are also talking about a RWD model, so snow tires would be more helpful than a car with Front Wheel drive.

Seems like an argument for the Model 3 to be a front wheel drive based car. Would also have provided additional differentiation between it and the Model S. Most people wouldn't have cared, nor noticed.

• Disagree
Reactions: DR61
As I understand this, a car cannot stop any faster than the threshold where the tyres lock up and skid, but you have to reach that braking force, itself dependent on car mass.

Sure- but pretty much every production car made in at least the last several decades can lock up the wheels (or engage ABS) with the stock factory brakes- which means they're all capable of maximizing the tire.

Which is why "bigger brakes" do literally nothing to stop the car any shorter in normal use.

Or as the link I posted puts it-

Guy who designs braking systems for a living said:
You can take this one to the bank. Regardless of your huge rotor diameter, brake pedal ratio, magic brake pad material, or number of pistons in your calipers, your maximum deceleration is limited every time by the tire to road interface. That is the point of this whole article. Your brakes do not stop your car. Your tires stop the car. So while changes to different parts of the brake system may affect certain characteristics or traits of the system's behavior, using stickier tires is ultimately the only sure-fire method of decreasing stopping distances.

That's why tires are so so so important on a car. Why it's one thing I don't try and skimp on. And why it sucks they're putting crappy all-seasons on the stock Model 3 wheels.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Force yourself to like/love the aero wheels ...we'd all be in autonomous vehicles ...I ignored styling or passenger comfort, because that doesn't really matter.

Let's just recap here for a moment:

- The fun/pleasure of driving is out, as all vehicles should be autonomous (despite the technical, economic, legal, and ethical challenges)
- Aesthetics are out, as we should force ourselves to love the ugly
- Discomfort is in and comfort is out, as it doesn't matter
- You have no appreciation for/understanding of the compound chemistry/tread physics of winter driving to maximize the ability to stop and turn on low mu surfaces, far more critical than being able to get moving forward.
- We should be required to spend hours (of non-working valuable free time?) creating some music library to make up for the omission of SXM (although some may have no music from which to make such a library, not purchasing to hear the same material repeatedly but prefer the novelty of a professional and varying source such as an always-available choice of radio channels)
- You have no appreciation for the dynamic differences of front versus rear wheel drive.

I find it hard to believe this is at all serious and you aren't just looking for a reaction. You seem the furthest thing from an enthusiast or someone who would enjoy anything about a car enough to join a forum. Seriously....please help us understand.

This whole "what rims are under the Areo covers" is easily solved. The next person to see one in the wild, go and pop off the cover and see. Take a before and after photo as well. :D

Failing that, just ask the owner to do it. :D
Video or it didn't happen. Also, I'd recommend reversing the order of mode of operation for taking it off. BTW, I'm not a denier. I'm certain that is the aero wheel without the cover.

Seems like an argument for the Model 3 to be a front wheel drive based car. Would also have provided additional differentiation between it and the Model S. Most people wouldn't have cared, nor noticed.

That would be a horrible decision from a marketing point. Tesla already has good data that their RWD models can handle snowy conditions better than expected. If they keep it RWD, they can keep that "sporty" angle that all the car mags love and the entire car industry follows along with. Hence, why everyone is chasing the BMW 3 series, the car mags love the Accord and Mazda 6 much more than the better selling Camry, etc. Overall, keeping it RWD was the much smarter move. Particularly if they actually are trying to compete with the BMW 3 series.