Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO (yeah opinion, could be way off). TM is starting to add these now and will eventually make them standard on all cars to make sure they meet the new standards that the Europeans will be applying to earn the top ( 5 star) safety rating. If I were TM management I would not put any of these on the website right now but start putting them on all future production then increase the price of all models to cover the cost (and 25%+ margin) on all the new hardware moving forward. This way no one can legitimately claim 'foul'. Some people will be 'lucky' that they got something they did not pay for and other owners who did not get the upgrade never paid for or were offered the upgrade. The other alternative would be in the vehicles where it was installed for 'free' allow the new owner's to 'buy' it through paying for a software upgrade that would run the systems. If they choose not to buy it, it never gets 'turned on'.

The whole electric thing is wearing off to me and now I'm missing all the luxuries my Mercedes had.

Already? Dude, you bought the wrong car.

My DS said no cars are coming like this and that these cars we are seeing online are probably photoshopped and people playing tricks and said "you can't believe everything you read online"

Rule #1: Usually, we know more on this site than most Tesla employees. Often times DS's and even service techs are completely in the dark about stuff even though we've already seen it on this site.

This is *not* a Photoshop job. We have multiple sources confirming this, some of which are very credible (Brianman has been here forever, and he is very credible). My guess is that either the DS's don't know about it yet, or Tesla will be putting out a press release VERY soon about the new features and they have instructed employees to play dumb. This will give them something to trumpet at the quarterly earnings report.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the problem with not having model years. No matter how you do it, somebody will be bitching about not getting the latest features.

People need to accept the reality that technology and feature sets progress forward--in most cases, in not too long you will be left behind, like it or not. There will *always* be someone who just "barely" misses the new features. I had an early car with an A pack and no folding mirrors or parking sensors. They added faster supercharging, progressed to D battery packs, and integrated folding mirrors and parking sensors, but I didn't whine. Recognize this will happen. If you can't handle it, you can buy a car with a model year from manufacturer B. That way, you can go a whole year before you start feeling shafted by missing out on new features.

And that leads to Rule #2: Buy the car that Tesla is offering NOW. If you want how it is NOW, you won't feel as bad when the car continues to get better. (Wait--we ALL get software updates!) If you are buying expecting retrofits or free hardware upgrades, you will be sorely disappointed. You might get lucky, but don't count on it. It's the key to being happy :).

Last edited:
I have had my car since December 2012 and I enjoy it every day. I have an "A" battery and I do not have parking sensors. I like it just the way it is. It is a great car and I paid less than current purchasers. Tesla provides improvements now and then through software updates and service bulletins. So far resale values seem very high, but it really does not matter since we will keep it at least 8 years. In another year or two we will add another Tesla to our fleet. Stop whining about how you should have waited a week to order and enjoy the ride--it is the best car on the road.

+1 to Todd Burch!! :)

I had posted this on the Tesla forum, but it directly relates to what you just said, so reposting here:

Hey... to those who worry about what features you get when... this is just what happens when cars are "continually improved when released" instead of spec'ed out in "model years".

Personally I think it's awesome!!
Sure it's a bit of a roll of the dice when you order, but so is life!
It's quite possible that a raft of uber cool features will come out the week after I get my car... but I don't care... it's a freaking Tesla Model S... best car in the world! :)

Also, I agree, the electric coolness of the Model S never gets old to me... it will only get better and better each time I pass a gas station! ;)
...and each time I out-accelerate an ICE driver who thinks he can take me. ;) :)

And actually it's quite fun to play the "who knows what cool thing I may get next on my car that I didn't even order"!! It's an awesome game!... one you don't get to play with the old model year paradigm... you can see the coolness or not... ;) :).

Already? Dude, you bought the wrong car.

Rule #1: Usually, we know more on this site than most Tesla employees. Often times DS's and even service techs are completely in the dark about stuff even though we've already seen it on this site.

This is *not* a Photoshop job. We have multiple sources confirming this, some of which are very credible (Brianman has been here forever, and he is very credible). My guess is that either the DS's don't know about it yet, or Tesla will be putting out a press release VERY soon about the new features and they have instructed employees to play dumb. This will give them something to trumpet at the quarterly earnings report.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the problem with not having model years. No matter how you do it, somebody will be bitching about not getting the latest features.

People need to accept the reality that technology and feature sets progress forward--in most cases, in not too long you will be left behind, like it or not. There will *always* be someone who just "barely" misses the new features. I had an early car with an A pack and no folding mirrors or parking sensors. They added faster supercharging, progressed to D battery packs, and integrated folding mirrors and parking sensors, but I didn't whine. Recognize this will happen. If you can't handle it, you can buy a car with a model year from manufacturer B. That way, you can go a whole year before you start feeling shafted by missing out on new features.

And that leads to Rule #2: Buy the car that Tesla is offering NOW. If you want how it is NOW, you won't feel as bad when the car continues to get better. (Wait--we ALL get software updates!) If you are buying expecting retrofits or free hardware upgrades, you will be sorely disappointed. You might get lucky, but don't count on it. It's the key to being happy :).

Last edited:
Congrats to now and future owners that are enjoying these new features. Please tell us how these features fare. Do they work well? You're likely the first to give a formal review as "the big boys" (Tesla corp and car review magazines) apparently aren't able or willing to talk about them yet.

And for the record...
As a sig owner, these are two features that were not even mentioned in passing when I reserved, configured, or took delivery of my vehicle so I don't feel Tesla "owes" us anything on our "early" Model S vehicles. That said, it would be a good move (and much appreciated!) for Tesla to offer us some OEM retrofit options (with pricing details) so that those of us that are interested in such features don't have to resort to aftermarket to get the job done.

I called my DS pissed that I just picked up my car without these features, features I gave up going to this Tesla and features I now want and could have had by waiting a couple more weeks had I been notified of this change.
Shame on Tesla for adding new features after you took delivery! You SHOULD be angry. You've been mistreated and betrayed.

The whole electric thing is wearing off to me and now I'm missing all the luxuries my Mercedes had.
You had to give up certain features when you switched from your Mercedes to the Tesla? How unfair! There's no way you could have known you'd be losing those features! If you had known you certainly wouldn't have made the switch.

The beauty of Tesla is that much can be done via software. As long as the sensors are there, Tesla will continue to improve the software and add features. The screens that were shown in this thread is likely just part of the first round. Given the sensor in the grill plus the new fender sensors, it's reasonable to assume that ACC, blind spot, and collision avoidance are coming next. The screens shown only utilize the camera sensor in the windshield and not the rest.

I'm hoping these are retrofittable for owners. Anyone know or have any intutions?

Just got off the phone with my DS. I'm happy to say that I will have it on my car. It's a new feature that was introduced with a couple of sensors that have been added to the front of the car as most of you have pointed out.

Did your DS say that the new features are now part of the Tech Package and included at no additional cost with that option, or are they new features included on all Model S cars, or are the new features a new option at an additional cost, or what?

Probably your DS has no idea and is just as in the dark as I am, but I am still confused about who gets the new features and who does not.

Last edited:
Did your DS say that the new features are now part of the Tech Package and included at no additional cost with that option, or are they new features included on all Model S cars, or are the new features a new option at an additional cost, or what?

Probably your DS has no idea and is just as in the dark as I am, but I am still confused about who gets the new features and who does not.

No my DS is on the ball. He's been able to answer every single question on the spot with no hesitations or any of the other wishy washy answers some other people have seemed to get. I guess I've just been lucky. Also to be honest, I asked if it was a part of a package like parking or tech, and he did give me a solid answer...

... I just can't remember it, sorry I was late for a meeting and snuck in a phone call. I just remember being happy that my car got it. Selfish, I know...

However if you purchased a Tesla thinking that you would get a run of the mill sales/ownership experience you're a fool and you lied to yourself. We are lab rats. Know it, don't lie to yourself. Certain experiences will be good (free software updates) and certain experiences will be bad (folding mirrors and lane departure warning). this is absolutely no different than what sales people do at MBZ/BMW/Audi. They know what will be updated in their fleet of cars months before they arrive on the lots, how come you don't hold them to the fire? You're telling me MBZ sales people don't play dumb to move the sheet metal on the lot to clear up room for new cars with new features?

You're mad at the auto industry, not Tesla.

Umm...I am not mad at all, just curious. I've owned my Model S for 10 months and remain as thrilled with it as the day I got it, believe me. And I have no particular interest in Speed Assist and Lane Departure. In fact if I was placing an S order today and was told those two features cost additional money I wouldn't order them. There are other options that are much more important to me.

It was @Perfect_Flaw in an earlier post that seemed very upset about not getting those two new features. To me they are trivial. I'm just interested to learn how Tesla is going to handle them: include with Tech Package, charge for them as separate options, or what. Given that at least one new owner appears to have gotten them for free, I'd like to understand what's going on. :)

Last edited:
I would bet it will be like the parking sensor retrofit. Tesla doesn't advertise it, but they will do it for a price. A very high price.

Well, I think it depends what sensors are required for what features.

It *seems* like, the mirror camera is for speed limit sign and lane departure warning.
The lower center radar is for ACC - and possibly emergency auto brake in the future
The rear side sensors are for blind spot and the front side sensors (along with the rear) are for park-assist (auto parallel parking).

Obviously thinking about it logically, adding parking sensors to a car is going to require the sensors, re-wiring the front and back bumpers for the sensors, and new front and back bumpers. That's why it's not cheap. Lot of parts.

Adding the sensors for blind spot is probably going to be similar, unless there is some extra wiring in there and they can manage to drill a hole for the new sensors (I doubt it).

Adding ACC might be relatively cheap if all that is needed is the radar unit and a new lower grill (and a bit of wiring).
The mirror camera might not be too terribly expensive. New windshield and new mirror (and a bit of wiring).

I called my DS pissed that I just picked up my car without these features, features I gave up going to this Tesla and features I now want and could have had by waiting a couple more weeks had I been notified of this change.

My DS said no cars are coming like this and that these cars we are seeing online are probably photoshopped and people playing tricks and said "you can't believe everything you read online"

Have you been reading this forum at all? There have been all sorts of unannounced hardware improvements. This isn't even the first time they've added something to the car and some people get it and some don't.

For example lolachampcar found out that some parts that started out for the P85+ cars ended up being on all the cars after a certain point. That change apparently improved handling fairly significantly on the newer cars. They rolled this out into certain configurations first and then expanded it as they used up parts and the new design became the standard.

This isn't unique to Tesla either. Other makes have all sorts of unannounced changes. I could probably find examples but I'm too tired after having spent the day driving my new Tesla and having a blast despite not having two relatively minor new features.

I have to admit that I was disappointed not to get the latest new thing, but nobody ever promised me those features. They never entered into my purchase decision. If these features were such a huge deal for you why did you even order the vehicle without them?