Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist still not working on 2023.12.1.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was excited to see the ability to read road speed signs was flagged for Australia and included in 2023.12.1.1.

Has anyone seen this actually work? So far in the past two days it’s been 100% wrong with zero detections overriding map values - all suburban street scenarios for me, eg:

* Using 60 in a zone clearly signposted in multiple locations recently as 80
* Completely ignoring a school zone 40 sign and continuing with 60
* Ignoring a non-LED 40 sign clearly marked in light road work and continuing with 60

Seems utterly useless?

Dec22 Model 3 RWD (with USS) on 2023.12.1.1

Reactions: raynewman
It seems to vary so much between cars and/or models. I've just done a 3,000km trip Sydney to Barossa and return and sign detection was almost perfect and the best it has been for me since Sept 2021. I did clean off the cameras (from bugs and dust) every day but that is probably not your problem. Also, I am still on 2023.6.8.......

Reactions: Hungry Mile
It seems to vary so much between cars and/or models. I've just done a 3,000km trip Sydney to Barossa and return and sign detection was almost perfect and the best it has been for me since Sept 2021. I did clean off the cameras (from bugs and dust) every day but that is probably not your problem. Also, I am still on 2023.6.8.......
Crazy. Maybe I’ll reboot the car and see if it improves.

Hard to trust TACC or even AutoPilot when it can’t even read something as basic as clearly marked speed signs right!

Fairly sure your detection was gps based. A main road in Adelaide has been changed from 60 to 50. My tesla still thinks it’s 60. Misses probably 10 standard signs showing 50.

School zones come from map data; I think mostly openstreetmap. Which city are you located? School zones are time based which aren't the easiest signs to read from the dashcam recordings.

What speed is it on mapbox/openstreetmap?
Fairly sure your detection was gps based. A main road in Adelaide has been changed from 60 to 50. My tesla still thinks it’s 60. Misses probably 10 standard signs showing 50.
Isn’t this the point of the update thought? It reads/prefers the signs over the map data?

Yeah this is weird. Had a new roadwork sign 40km/h which was placed some weeks ago and my model Y picked it up (back then it was still on 2023.6.11)
Just updated to 2023.12.1.1 and it still picks up the roadwork sign this morning.

Fairly sure your detection was gps based
Well, I'm sure the standard speed signs probably were but I would guarantee the dozens of roadwork speed limit signs on our trip were visually detected. Some of these were at ground level and others at various higher locations. There was only one "strange" detection where the sign was for 25 and the car made it 30. I've never seen a temporary 25 sign before. A year ago, my car would "see" none of these out in the country, which was a big pain. Of course, the fine print on earlier release notes DID say it was only enabled in Australia for built up areas but my car did really well on this long trip. One day I'll get 2023.12.x.x and will check it out.

Well, I'm sure the standard speed signs probably were but I would guarantee the dozens of roadwork speed limit signs on our trip were visually detected. Some of these were at ground level and others at various higher locations. There was only one "strange" detection where the sign was for 25 and the car made it 30. I've never seen a temporary 25 sign before. A year ago, my car would "see" none of these out in the country, which was a big pain. Of course, the fine print on earlier release notes DID say it was only enabled in Australia for built up areas but my car did really well on this long trip. One day I'll get 2023.12.x.x and will check it out.
Were you in SA for the 25 sign? I heard SA is the only place on the planet that uses a 25 sign. Not sure how true that is

I was excited to see the ability to read road speed signs was flagged for Australia and included in 2023.12.1.1.

Has anyone seen this actually work? So far in the past two days it’s been 100% wrong with zero detections overriding map values - all suburban street scenarios for me, eg:

* Using 60 in a zone clearly signposted in multiple locations recently as 80
* Completely ignoring a school zone 40 sign and continuing with 60
* Ignoring a non-LED 40 sign clearly marked in light road work and continuing with 60

Seems utterly useless?

Dec22 Model 3 RWD (with USS) on 2023.12.1.1
Can't read school speed zone limits in the USA

• Informative
My experience has been positive. The one issue I have (Melbourne folks will get this) is the when the Monash goes from 100 to 80 (inbound) after High Street Road but the Tesla still thinks it’s 100. Whether it’s GPS data or reading signs it’s way off, and that stretch of road has always been 80km/h.

I've noticed a few changes since I installed the update last Friday, for the better and the worse

Better: It now picks up the flashing overhead speed signs on the freeways in Sydney (e.g., M4).
m4-smart-motorway-features-overhead-gantries.png

Worse: It still doesn't pick up non-flashing overhead signs. Picking up the flashing ones is an improvement.
Worse: It is missing some normal signs most of the time. E.g., going into and out of school zones and speed changes posted on the side of the road. This is a definite backwards step, normal speed sign detections has been solid since I got the car