Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit signs my M3 did NOT see

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The speed limit sign feature is cool, and works well on the standard white signs.

Here are some examples where my M3 did not see the sign at all

• Electronic displays
  • Yellow (off-ramp) signs

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    642.4 KB · Views: 121
The speed limit sign feature is cool, and works well on the standard white signs.

Here are some examples where my M3 did not see the sign at all

• Electronic displays
  • Yellow (off-ramp) signs

How about speed limit signs on orange diamond shaped construction signs? I assume those wouldn't work either? It would be great if it did because otherwise the car will assume the usual speed limit still applies.

Ok, got it... so user error on my part... sorry :)
No need to be. I asked the same question when it first came out as I had noticed it ignored the freeway completely.

How about speed limit signs on orange diamond shaped construction signs? I assume those wouldn't work either? It would be great if it did because otherwise the car will assume the usual speed limit still applies.

Nope, not reading construction signs either. They're being cautious with the speed sign reading, like with the green light detection. IMO, being able to go through green without stopping is good enough for release.

Last edited:
Also, the release notes mention that it is currently only for local roads, so it isn't supposed to be working on freeways/highways.

I guess this can't be totally true. For my recent road trip, AP displayed 75mph speed limit multiple times. I was mostly following traffic traveling roughly 9mph over. This is for I35 in Texas. v2020.36.10.

Yellow signs like the posted one aren’t speed limits so the car should never pay attention to those to begin with regardless of the scenario. Those are speed advisories for upcoming turns and such so that you keep your lateral g force under 0.22 Gs. If you were to have an accident on one of these curves going faster than this it could be used against you, but it isn’t an actual speed limit.

Yellow signs like the posted one aren’t speed limits so the car should never pay attention to those to begin with regardless of the scenario. Those are speed advisories for upcoming turns and such so that you keep your lateral g force under 0.22 Gs. If you were to have an accident on one of these curves going faster than this it could be used against you, but it isn’t an actual speed limit.
I’ve had to explain that to my wife numerous times. She has never cared and tries to use it against me for “speeding”.

To others, don’t conflate “doesn’t display” and “doesn’t react” with “doesn’t see”. Very different states that the software might be in at this point.

Reactions: ranss12
I guess this can't be totally true. For my recent road trip, AP displayed 75mph speed limit multiple times. I was mostly following traffic traveling roughly 9mph over. This is for I35 in Texas. v2020.36.10.

On interstates it appears to only go via its GPS and MAP data, not what the camera sees. If you get on a federal/state highway you will have a very different experience. I have yet to see it "see" a sign over 65 MPH. Many TX highways I have been on in the past week where you are stuck doing 60 in a 75 zone if you use the autosteering since it is only +5 over the speed limit in single lane in each direction roads. As you exit a town the last sign it "sees" is 55 MPH, passing the 70/75 signs do not show up in the display. This was probably put in as a "safety" measure to keep people from messing with the system by changing 35MPH signs to 85 with some spray paint. The problem is that it does not seem to use the GPS/MAP data any more on non interstates/freeways. Of course on multi lane interstates/freeways they do not limit the speed of autosteer under 90MPH.

You can see the speed limit signs that it "sees" go by in the display. You will notice on interstates it does not show the signs or update the speed.

Oh well. Each time I saw a posted speed limit coming up, I waited and watched it scroll on the side and display 75 albeit very quickly. At least it's good to know that the system can see the sign even when traveling at high speed. BTW, I was traveling from Austin to Dallas.

I've already observed one temporary speed limit sign which was not displayed, but caused an adjustment to the cruise speed. It wasn't a super clear sign, so I don't know if the lack of display was just low confidence of detection, or just that the information didn't make it into the rendering pipeline.

Phantom braking is not due to wrong sped limits. It is usually due to "seeing" obstacles in your path.

Yeah, you're wrong about that. I have had plenty of occurrences where it braked hard because the maps thought a 70mph freeway suddenly became a 45mph. That's why it was a huge step backwards for AP when Tesla broke ties with MobileEye. Lots of other people have posted the same experiences, so I am shocked you weren't aware, but now you are.

Last edited:
Is anyone's car not setting the speed limit based on normal, white speed limit signs on local roads? There's two places in my commute where the actual speed limit is very different from what the car thinks it is (Actual: 55, Tesla: 35 in one location, Actual: 65, Tesla: 45 in another). I was excited for this update to fix that, but it hasn't. There is a clearly visible white sign for both of these instances.

Is anyone's car not setting the speed limit based on normal, white speed limit signs on local roads? There's two places in my commute where the actual speed limit is very different from what the car thinks it is (Actual: 55, Tesla: 35 in one location, Actual: 65, Tesla: 45 in another). I was excited for this update to fix that, but it hasn't. There is a clearly visible white sign for both of these instances.
Are you seeing speed signs in the display similar to the way stop signs are displayed ? Our 3 took a few days before it started seeing speed signs.