Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed sensitive volume setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh ye of little faith...

Faith was when I waited for Tesla to fix all the pre-AP UI issues they introduced with 7.0 all those years ago.

Hint: not fixed yet and my pre-AP car is long gone. :)

Now I have this thing called realism. It is only natural that Tesla's primary update interest is the latest production system. Those without it are less fortunate. The Tegra is already a walking dead. (Of course due to AP2 they can't just quit on it completely, a blessing.)

Reactions: pilotSteve
Faith was when I waited for Tesla to fix all the pre-AP UI issues they introduced with 7.0 all those years ago.

Hint: not fixed yet and my pre-AP car is long gone. :)

Now I have this thing called realism. It is only natural that Tesla's primary update interest is the latest production system. Those without it are less fortunate. The Tegra is already a walking dead. (Of course due to AP2 they can't just quit on it completely, a blessing.)
I said ye of little faith, not ye of massive doubt

Makes me wonder what is happening in their engineering department when they can't deliver really basic features like this. Surely one of the junior engineers can get it going in a few hours.

Right. But the 3 wouldn't exist without those buying S/X paying a bit of an investor/beta tax. Not only that, I got the X thinking I'd get an S as well. However, if the 3 is going to get features the S/X aren't I'll just hop the 3 line and place my reservation now since I'm a current owner. :)

If you want the latest, Model 3 has the latest features. I estimate it will take at least the interior and battery overhauls for Model S/X to reach "latest" parity. Current Model S/X interior and battery techs are obsolete compared to the latest in Model 3.

Even then I'm not sure if Model S/X will get the latest motors but better performance will offset that.

Nothing wrong with this. Completely normal with car makers that some lower model is ahead of higher end at some points in history. Just stating a fact. One day Model S/X will get new versions that will be the latest again. Circle of car model life.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and Xtek
If you want the latest, Model 3 has the latest features. I estimate it will take at least the interior and battery overhauls for Model S/X to reach "latest" parity. Current Model S/X interior and battery techs are obsolete compared to the latest in Model 3.

Even then I'm not sure if Model S/X will get the latest motors but better performance will offset that.

Nothing wrong with this. Completely normal with car makers that some lower model is ahead of higher end at some points in history. Just stating a fact. One day Model S/X will get new versions that will be the latest again. Circle of car model life.

I can not believe people disagreed with this message.

Model 3 has:

- Interior camera-equipped AP
- New Intel processor, noticeably faster central computer/screen
- Latest 21-70 cells inside its battery
- Frunk hooks and other new storage possibilities
- The new electronically controlled air vent system
- Speed-adjusted sound system

It has the latest hardware and features. Pretty simple: if you want those, you need a Model 3. Model S/X does not at this time have them.

That's just a fact.

• Disagree
Reactions: Xtek
I can not believe people disagreed with this message.

Model 3 has:

- Interior camera-equipped AP
- New Intel processor, noticeably faster central computer/screen
- Latest 21-70 cells inside its battery
- Frunk hooks and other new storage possibilities
- The new electronically controlled air vent system
- Speed-adjusted sound system

It has the latest hardware and features. Pretty simple: if you want those, you need a Model 3. Model S/X does not at this time have them.

That's just a fact.

Earnings call quotes...

“We want to be super clear, the Model 3 is not version 3 of our car"
“The Model 3 is a smaller, more affordable version of the Model S with fewer features”
“If you want to upgrade you should buy the latest Model S”

To be clear. I am not disagreeing with the current state of affairs. I am disagreeing with the fact that as an investor and a customer more things seem to not be true.

I'm aware of how manufacturing works. It would behoove Tesla to come out with the best car they can for their Model 3 customers. I'm not saying they should hold back on the Model 3. However, when features are software based and not directly related to manufacturing they have no excuse to have features being delayed for existing S/X owners.

Earnings call quotes...

“We want to be super clear, the Model 3 is not version 3 of our car"
“The Model 3 is a smaller, more affordable version of the Model S with fewer features”
“If you want to upgrade you should buy the latest Model S”

To be clear. I am not disagreeing with the current state of affairs. I am disagreeing with the fact that as an investor and a customer more things seem to not be true.

I guess I don't quite understand you, so what I write is not really a response to you anyway. Maybe we just misunderstand each other. :)

So a general commentary:

IMO those from Tesla quotes are simply not a factual representation IMO. They are anti-sell, but not really IMO a factual reflection of reality. Many of those things were said even when just AP2 was still sold, not AP 2.5 which is one thing Model 3 also had...

The thing is, if you want to upgrade to the things I mention, you need a Model 3. It has the latest gear. Now, in some cases it has fewer features, sure, but in general it is the latest iteration of Tesla technology in: interior, electronics, battery - and even in motors, actually, which I forgot. Model 3 has the latest motor design.

So, in pretty much every way IMO, Model 3 is the latest version of Tesla. Model S/X are the previous version and until they are upgraded, they remain behind in this sense.

I guess I don't quite understand you, so what I write is not really a response to you anyway. Maybe we just misunderstand each other. :)

So a general commentary:

IMO those from Tesla quotes are simply not a factual representation IMO. They are anti-sell, but not really IMO a factual reflection of reality. Many of those things were said even when just AP2 was still sold, not AP 2.5 which is one thing Model 3 also had...

The thing is, if you want to upgrade to the things I mention, you need a Model 3. It has the latest gear. Now, in some cases it has fewer features, sure, but in general it is the latest iteration of Tesla technology in: interior, electronics, battery - and even in motors, actually, which I forgot. Model 3 has the latest motor design.

So, in pretty much every way IMO, Model 3 is the latest version of Tesla. Model S/X are the previous version and until they are upgraded, they remain behind in this sense.

To lie on an earnings call to shareholders and investors is corporate fraud. This is not simply an undersell at this point and can be legally held accountable for such claims.

I'll repeat myself since I'm not being clear enough. I am not disputing the current state of affairs. I fully comprehend that the Model 3 has hardware and software.

However, this is contradictory to what the CEO communicated to shareholders and investors in an earnings call. That is what I'm disagreeing with. I am disagreeing with the fact that what people were told in a company shareholder meeting is a lie. Accepting that and saying "that's just the way it is," is not something we should be doing. That is not okay.

Also, the model 3 motor may not actually be the "next gen" motor. It is a permanent magnet motor which has it's own pros/cons vs the induction motors in the S/X. It may just be a different configuration that makes more sense for a smaller, lighter more mass-produced car.

To lie on an earnings call to shareholders and investors is corporate fraud. This is not simply an undersell at this point and can be legally held accountable for such claims.

Lie is a strong word, I am not suggesting a lie. I'm guessing legally the current state of affairs can be postulated like they did, I am just not agreeing with it in practice. My opinion of the reality is that Model 3 is the latest and I have listed many technologies that currently are the latest in Model 3, and will be the latest in Model S/X only through potential future updates to those products.

To say now (or indeed six months ago) Model S/X are the upgrade and Model 3 is just more of that same, in limited form, takes some liberties and interpretation I don't agree with. I think in practice Model 3 is the latest, even if not quite the greatest.

Also, the model 3 motor may not actually be the "next gen" motor. It is a permanent magnet motor which has it's own pros/cons vs the induction motors in the S/X. It may just be a different configuration that makes more sense for a smaller, lighter more mass-produced car.

That remains to be seen. I wouldn't be surprised if, like 21-70 cells, there is more to the story than just cheaper production. I expect 21-70s to have substantially better features, but Tesla can't come out and say that because it would Osborne Model S/X...

Lie is a strong word, I am not suggesting a lie. I'm guessing legally the current state of affairs can be postulated like they did, I am just not agreeing with it in practice. My opinion of the reality is that Model 3 is the latest and I have listed many technologies that currently are the latest in Model 3, and will be the latest in Model S/X only through potential future updates to those products.

To say now (or indeed six months ago) Model S/X are the upgrade and Model 3 is just more of that same, in limited form, takes some liberties and interpretation I don't agree with. I think in practice Model 3 is the latest, even if not quite the greatest.

I agree with it being the latest, that was my point. My point is that it also has features the S/X don't with no excuse.

You asked why I disagreed, that's why.

EDIT: Our opinions do not have to align and thusly why I disagreed.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I agree with it being the latest, that was my point. My point is that it also has features the S/X don't with no excuse.

You asked why I disagreed, that's why.

OK.

I guess the common understanding of Disagree is that one disagrees with the poster, i.e. myself in this case. I am still not quite sure who you disagreed with, maybe that's my bad. :)