Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed sign recognition too good :-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an issue on my daily route where 30mph roadworks have the word END signposted once out of the works ( I really wanted to type 'at the end' there). Needless to say the car maintains the 30+3 (I wish this could be set to 10%). I am fairly sure that if engage AP and then accelerate up to 50 ish, and press the indicated speed displayed once it resets the limit to the current speed. I could not test today because I had another Tesla in front of me!

Raise my % idea on Tesla ideas website https://teslaideas.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Set-speed-limit-tolerance-as-Percent/416449-46665?submitted=1

Not sure if link works.

Last edited:
I have an issue on my daily route where 30mph roadworks have the word END signposted once out of the works ( I really wanted to type 'at the end' there). Needless to say the car maintains the 30+3 (I wish this could be set to 10%). I am fairly sure that if engage AP and then accelerate up to 50 ish, and press the indicated speed displayed once it resets the limit to the current speed. I could not test today because I had another Tesla in front of me!

Raise my % idea on Tesla ideas website https://teslaideas.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Set-speed-limit-tolerance-as-Percent/416449-46665?submitted=1

Not sure if link works.
It didn't work, neither did turning the warning off. We are stuck with this one.

There IS a way to feedback. And the example here is very apposite.

Absolute good luck with the bug report with a U.K. accent. For me it works about 1% of the time. I have to try it time and time again and it begins to get time consuming and dangerous.

It doesn’t even get half close to my report most of the time.

“bug report - phantom braking incident” = “fan blade in city”.

Total pants!

I have similar problems with speed signs being picked up from side roads and agacent carriageways as well as incorrect reading of conditional signs that didn't apply to me.

I'm seeing this problem of reading the speed signs from side roads constantly. The in-car HUD seems to be displaying the wrong speed limit more than the right one since this update. Wish I could just turn speed sign reading off.

Does it read the right speed and then display something different or does it incorrectly read the speed? For me it’s been right about 95%

Reading the wrong signs (but correctly) for me.

Not only speed signs, but Yield / Give Way too. Quite happy to put a line across the visualisation of the main road I am on in response to a sign relating to a side road.

Does it read the right speed and then display something different or does it incorrectly read the speed? For me it’s been right about 95%
Yeah, the issue I'm seeing is it reading the wrong signs but correctly. The main problem seems to be where there's a sign (usually 20 or 30) right at the junction for a side street off a main road. The car reads that as applying to the main road not the side street. It then seems to stubbornly refuse to change it's mind until it sees another sign.

Reactions: Battpower
I had this a few weeks ago - noticed the car detecting this as a National Speed Limit sign in a pedestrian-heavy 30 zone in a little village :eek:

Anyone else noticed this (or similar?)
Just got a software update and haven't tried it since...will report back next time I drive that road.

ab2313.png

I had this a few weeks ago - noticed the car detecting this as a National Speed Limit sign in a pedestrian-heavy 30 zone in a little village :eek:

Anyone else noticed this (or similar?)
Just got a software update and haven't tried it since...will report back next time I drive that road.

ab2313.png

Not certain it was that exact sign, but yes to very similar erroneous national limit.

This sign on a van was also picked up as a speed limit sign (actual limit was 30mph). I don't think speed sign recognition is too good - it needs to be smarter i.e. look at where the sign is and take the context and any additional writing into account etc.

View attachment 601257

Side point - and I realise people will see that thats not a real road sign - but I'm really surprised that the van can have that on it?!