Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed sign recognition too good :-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
Drove up north today and couldn't use AP most the time as it was picking up, and limiting at this:
Screenshot_20201018-195520.jpg
Had to actually drive 100 more of my miles than expected today, or do them at 55 rather than 60(ish) :-(

Wish there was a way to submit problems like this through an interface. Would happily learn and apply some tagging data if needed. Can anyone see a way around it? Would turning off the FSD preview turn off the sign recognition?

The A9 was previously great on AP. (And I didn't have any other AP problems today)

Reactions: Rooster6655
Haha :). Just the street view image I found first.

It would only let me set +6, I thought I could set more too :-(. I'll try turning off the FSD preview on the way south next weekend, see if that helps.

I thought the 'bug report' command had been proven to be a placebo?

Yes, as far as I know. At best saves some data that can be accessed on request but nothing proactive.

Some data relating to disengagements does seem to be uploaded regardless of any options selected and unrelated to using bug report. Dubious as to if any use is habitually made of it unless required by a specific campaign.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I thought the 'bug report' command had been proven to be a placebo?

Unless you log a service request as told to me and only then within a few weeks.

Its possible that Tesla may still pick it up if your circumstances meet one of the campaign criteria they are after. Lets hope that they are looking for material where detected speed limit was constantly being manually overridden.

Same with my 4 year old Renault SUV. But at this point Tesla should have its GPS speeds pretty solid and just using sign recognition to ice the cake and complete a rock solid solution.
I get the computational problem here tho, how does it know whether the GPS is right and the sign shouldn't apply, or GPS is wrong and the road work sign is right.

The only answer is to recognise them all, and I guess they haven't seen this particular Scottish sign before :-\

Andrej kaparthy (total sp I assume) talked about all the right turn signs they had to learn in the US, this is the same. But usual 'it's beta but I'm not going to give you a ui to override it because it's going to be fixed so totally soon' annoys all is poor users in the mean time.

Still, I signed up for the early adopter problems I guess!

IMO the absence of driver feedback is a big lost opportunity.

Start with GPS and assume it's correct. Start reading signs and compare with GPS to learn discrepancies - of which likely to be many. Offer drivers a single press to acknowledge a proposed speed change and build up a third set of data on which to base offered speed changes. Once you have enough drivers accepting the proposed changes, you can start using that as your primary data. Or something like that where at least you attempt to have a system that gets better over time and even allows driver feedback where limits are missing or in error.

There is a road near me that has dropped from 60 to 40 but the speed signs are only on displayed on the east side of the road. Going north the car doesn’t read the signs as they are across the other side of the road so still wants to go 60 and then going south it can read them so is happy to go 40. Definitely not too good.

As drivers are principally ruled by the signs on the road (not the GPS stored version), it makes a lot of sense to try and use recognition to spot them. Everything from temporary roadworks, to newly added signs could vary from the GPS data.

It sounds like it needs much more training to be useful, or a better way of overriding/ignoring it.

Reactions: Zakalwe
Drove up north today and couldn't use AP most the time as it was picking up, and limiting at this:
View attachment 599831
Had to actually drive 100 more of my miles than expected today, or do them at 55 rather than 60(ish) :-(

Wish there was a way to submit problems like this through an interface. Would happily learn and apply some tagging data if needed. Can anyone see a way around it? Would turning off the FSD preview turn off the sign recognition?

The A9 was previously great on AP. (And I didn't have any other AP problems today)

I noticed this 2 weeks ago, not on a motorway but the speed got set at 40 when it should have been 60, no way to change it, really pathetic from Tesla, breaking the software again!

There needs to be the option to rollback software as this clearly isn't working.

Can't manually override the AP speed limit in the OPs case, so have to continue with this ridiculousness until a point when Tesla realise something is up, never had this problem before.

Lets hope that they are looking for material where detected speed limit was constantly being manually overridden.

As in driving the car normally (not on TACC) at a very different speed to speed limit signs or using accelerator whilst on TACC/AP to maintain a higher speed.