Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spiff just died a black screen death...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0747.JPG

Came down to the parking to drive to work, the car wouldn't summon out of the parking as it does every normal day, but it locked and unlocked. Squeezed myself inside and stepped on the brake pedal. Both cabin and headlights came on, but no displays, all black. Tried an MCU reboot, nothing.

I was able to limp the car to the loading dock level where it could be picked up by the towing company (and where I get phone reception to call Tesla roadside assistance). After 5 minutes on hold, they had me do another MCU reboot attempt, and diagnosis ended there. The app still connected to the car though. Tow company was there within 30 minutes.

Has anyone had this happen before? This is the first car in 30 years of car ownership that has died on me like that.

View attachment 562248

Came down to the parking to drive to work, the car wouldn't summon out of the parking as it does every normal day, but it locked and unlocked. Squeezed myself inside and stepped on the brake pedal. Both cabin and headlights came on, but no displays, all black. Tried an MCU reboot, nothing.

I was able to limp the car to the loading dock level where it could be picked up by the towing company (and where I get phone reception to call Tesla roadside assistance). After 5 minutes on hold, they had me do another MCU reboot attempt, and diagnosis ended there. The app still connected to the car though. Tow company was there within 30 minutes.

Has anyone had this happen before? This is the first car in 30 years of car ownership that has died on me like that.

Common issue with early MCU1 vehicles, most likely the eMMC has logged to much data a failed.
Did you have any tell tale signs before hand, needing rebooting more often?

My S is brand new - March 2020 delivery, with all of 12700km on it. The eMMC shouldn't have failed yet... but I did have a couple of random MCU reboots in the past week, including one reboot where it came back but then I had no sound in the car (no indicator/AP sounds). Fixed that by rebooting it again.

Just called Tesla service after not having heard back from them at all - which is odd, I'd have expected them to at least let me know when the car was dropped off and keep me up to date. They're still diagnosing the issue.

My S is brand new - March 2020 delivery, with all of 12700km on it. The eMMC shouldn't have failed yet... but I did have a couple of random MCU reboots in the past week, including one reboot where it came back but then I had no sound in the car (no indicator/AP sounds). Fixed that by rebooting it again.

Just called Tesla service after not having heard back from them at all - which is odd, I'd have expected them to at least let me know when the car was dropped off and keep me up to date. They're still diagnosing the issue.

True, the eMMC shouldn't have failed so early due to data logging, interested to hear the reason.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rad18
Got the car back. Their diagnosis: "A USB drive in the displays was corrupted and thus the displays crashed and couldn't reboot. This is a known firmware problem and will be addressed in a future update". Other than the eMMC I know of no "USB drive in the displays". Anyone?

me: "so this could happen to any Tesla and might happen to mine again as well?"
them: "yes"

That was the verbal comms with service reception. I asked to speak to the tech and the senior service reception person told me the techs are not allowed to interface customers.

I am so not liking this experience. Made me feel dumb for having spent that kind of money on a car I now can't trust.

Here's what I would have expected to happen:

1. "Sorry your $200k ride dropped dead on you. We've organised the tow, do you need a loaner? We'll have it delivered to you within the hour."

What actually happened: I had a tow in under an hour. That was OK. The tow dude threw his business card at me, looked at the car, said "oh, dual motor, that's a nice one", rode it onto the back of the tow truck (because "driving" would require a softer touch), fastened the front wheels, and rushed off - with the car still on (as can be seen in the picture above). Not Tesla's fault per se. But felt very careless and distinctly not "first class" (the name of the towing company).

2. As soon as the towing service delivers the vehicle I expect a phone call. "We have received your vehicle and will be in contact as soon as we know more. Here's a direct number for you to call for inquires."

What actually happened: Dead silence. I didn't hear back from Tesla until I called them via the generic call center number an hour before they closed for the day (4 hours after they had the vehicle). I told them I needed a car the next day for work, could I please have a loaner. "ooh... we don't have any" they said, but they "might be able to work some magic" to make a loaner work but no promises. They called back shortly after and had organised a loaner - but should that be down to magic, really? I don't think so, that should be the default offer, made by them. Even Mercedes offered me a loaner while having my Smart car serviced by them (and they were the most unpleasant self entitled bunch I had ever dealt with). With Tesla it seemed more a case of them being a bit forlorn ("do people get loaners when our car breaks down on them?") or helplessness, rather than self entitlement, but that's no excuse either really.

The loaner then in itself was an interesting experience because I found out first hand how poorly I can expect my S to age. The loaner was an older HW2.5 model with 98000 km on it, and it drove like a dog. Suspension shot to hell. Driver seat swivelling (not a feature...). And it was dirty and banged up with paint blisters on the hood, probably one of their employee's cars who was kind enough to give it up for the day (I'm guessing here - kudos to the employee if that was the case - but again, that shouldn't be the modus operandi). And of course it was locked down so I couldn't even change it out of creep mode. That's how trusting they are of their customers. Might as well have put it in valet mode.

If they had any business sense, they'd keep a few recent and clean models and let those of us unfortunate enough to experience a breakdown experience a different car. I'd have enjoyed an X or a 3 for a day. Might even have considered buying one for my wife.

So, watch for black screens out there... it could happen to you any day.

Got the car back. Their diagnosis: "A USB drive in the displays was corrupted and thus the displays crashed and couldn't reboot. This is a known firmware problem and will be addressed in a future update". Other than the eMMC I know of no "USB drive in the displays". Anyone?

That was the verbal comms with service reception. I asked to speak to the tech and the senior service reception person told me the techs are not allowed to interface customers.

I am so not liking this experience. Made me feel dumb for having spent that kind of money on a car I now can't trust.

1. "Sorry your $200k ride dropped dead on you. We've organised the tow, do you need a loaner? We'll have it delivered to you within the hour."

What actually happened: I had a tow in under an hour. That was OK. The tow dude threw his business card at me, looked at the car, said "oh, dual motor, that's a nice one", rode it onto the back of the tow truck (because "driving" would require a softer touch), fastened the front wheels, and rushed off - with the car still on (as can be seen in the picture above). Not Tesla's fault per se. But felt very careless and distinctly not "first class" (the name of the towing company).

2. As soon as the towing service delivers the vehicle I expect a phone call. "We have received your vehicle and will be in contact as soon as we know more. Here's a direct number for you to call for inquires."

What actually happened: Dead silence. I didn't hear back from Tesla until I called them via the generic call center number an hour before they closed for the day (4 hours after they had the vehicle). I told them I needed a car the next day for work, could I please have a loaner. "ooh... we don't have any" they said, but they "might be able to work some magic" to make a loaner work but no promises. They called back shortly after and had organised a loaner - but should that be down to magic, really? I don't think so, that should be the default offer, made by them. Even Mercedes offered me a loaner while having my Smart car serviced by them (and they were the most unpleasant self entitled bunch I had ever dealt with). With Tesla it seemed more a case of them being a bit forlorn ("do people get loaners when our car breaks down on them?") or helplessness, rather than self entitlement, but that's no excuse either really.

The loaner then in itself was an interesting experience because I found out first hand how poorly I can expect my S to age. The loaner was an older HW2.5 model with 98000 km on it, and it drove like a dog. Suspension shot to hell. Driver seat swivelling (not a feature...). And it was dirty and banged up with paint blisters on the hood, probably one of their employee's cars who was kind enough to give it up for the day (I'm guessing here - kudos to the employee if that was the case - but again, that shouldn't be the modus operandi). And of course it was locked down so I couldn't even change it out of creep mode. That's how trusting they are of their customers. Might as well have put it in valet mode.

If they had any business sense, they'd keep a few recent and clean models and let those of us unfortunate enough to experience a breakdown experience a different car. I'd have enjoyed an X or a 3 for a day. Might even have considered buying one for my wife.

A car with 100,000km can be almost like new, or it can be completely trashed. Thats the difference an owner makes.

Was the car still drivable even with black screens?
Did you have any USB devices plugged in? Maybe that's what they meant

Yes the car was drivable but with a much harder than normal power steering setting, pretty sure it was assisted still though, it was still possible to turn the wheel with one hand from stop to stop while standing still. And the suspension seemed to be missing - i.e. car lowered to lowest setting and hard as a rock going over the speed humps in the parking.

The app still connected to the car.

@paulp sure that's true for the visual bits of the car. But it's not true for "consumables" like shock absorbers and seat cushioning. And I don't see how it should be possible to mistreat a car so that the driver seat starts to swivel in its rails!

The shocks literally rode like a 500'000km taxi, the only thing missing being the grinding noise from the axle as it coasts along...

I was able to limp the car to the loading dock level where it could be picked up by the towing company
When you say “able to limp the car” what exactly do you mean? Was the car able to drive at normal speeds, or was the drivetrain not functioning normally?

I’ve had two instances of “black screen” when starting my Model 3, on both occasions soft reboot fixed it, and the car was entirely driveable with the screen off, just a little unnerving not being able to see your speed etc.

Yes the car was drivable but with a much harder than normal power steering setting, pretty sure it was assisted still though, it was still possible to turn the wheel with one hand from stop to stop while standing still. And the suspension seemed to be missing - i.e. car lowered to lowest setting and hard as a rock going over the speed humps in the parking.

The app still connected to the car.

@paulp sure that's true for the visual bits of the car. But it's not true for "consumables" like shock absorbers and seat cushioning. And I don't see how it should be possible to mistreat a car so that the driver seat starts to swivel in its rails!

The shocks literally rode like a 500'000km taxi, the only thing missing being the grinding noise from the axle as it coasts along...
Shock absorber life very much depends on where you live and how you drive. The quality of roads and aggressiveness of your driving style makes all the difference.
Equally the weight of a passenger or driver and the number of times they get in and out of the car, as well as how they get in and out of the car, makes a difference. I broke stitching in my audi at 80,000km, so had to adjust how I got out.

Indeed, I'm pretty much the worst case user though with how many km I spend on rural roads. So I'm expecting my shocks experience to be potentially worse than the loaner I had.

Speaking of that, does anyone know of a suspension shop in Oz that does Teslas? I've been meaning to research improving the suspension to my liking. In comfort mode it should be a lot softer than it is. Sport mode is fine for me the way it is. I think people usually do this the other way around, they want a firmer ride. Not sure that can be done?

Indeed, I'm pretty much the worst case user though with how many km I spend on rural roads. So I'm expecting my shocks experience to be potentially worse than the loaner I had.

Speaking of that, does anyone know of a suspension shop in Oz that does Teslas? I've been meaning to research improving the suspension to my liking. In comfort mode it should be a lot softer than it is. Sport mode is fine for me the way it is. I think people usually do this the other way around, they want a firmer ride. Not sure that can be done?

Not sure what size rims you’re running, but if on eg: 21” you could improve the ride by switching to a 19” without having to mess with the suspension. Is that an option for you?

What’s a spiff btw?