Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sports mode steering feels significantly lighter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was out for 2 weeks and when I got back and started driving my model 3P, I could feel the steering wheel was not as heavy as before. My setting was in sports mode. Has anyone seen this behavior previously? Maybe worth mentioning my Tesla went through a software updates while I was gone, but nothing on the update log was about steering mode change.

Standard and Sport steering each seems lighter than before. I can't rule out placebo effect though, I saw this thread before driving the car on the new SW, but I think the change is real.

I always used to prefer Standard steering mode on this car, but now I prefer Sport, and even then I kind of feel like it's lighter at low speeds than Standard used to be. Also, the difference between Standard and Sport was always very obvious, now it feels more subtle. I only drove the car around the block though, I need to do more driving to better judge.

Wish we could roll back and forwards between software versions on these cars to compare! This definitely seems worse. While I didn't care for Sport before because it didn't seem to give any steering feel benefit, I certainly appreciated having the option for weighting that was closer to old school manual steering.

Upvote 0
12.3.1 seems very buggy. My AP is super needy now. I’ll have to test the steering on my way home. Seems like every update is a random number of step forward and a random number of steps back.
Ya mine too, autopilot nag is every 5 or 10 seconds now. After a few of those is freaks out, goes red take control immediately without any blue nag warning. I grabbed the wheel but it still kept flashing red and yelling at me. I had to manually disengage Autopilot. Then AP jail. It makes AP unusable. The last time I tried it l I was actually holding the steering wheel (like we are suppose to) during the multiple blue nags and it still went instantly red after a few times.
My standard steering option still feels the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wish I knew. I'm usually one of the first to get updates but for some reason, my car doesn't seem to want 12.3.1. Stuck on 8.3.

Mike
In hindsight, knowing what AP is doing I wish I could go back to 8.3. If you use AP I would recommend waiting for the next bug fix after 12.3.1 and wait for reports. I see 12.3.5 has just come out. Cross our fingers it fixes this.
I usually like getting the updates asap but this AP issue with 12.3.1 is having me reconsider my software advanced setting, (if it even does anything). Sometimes I think its a placebo button.

Upvote 0
My tolerance for Tesla damaging my car via software updates is growing very thin.

I'm still on 8.3, but loathe v11 in general... the following issues have recently been on my nerves:
  • Trunk half opens intermittently
  • Trunk takes a few seconds to unlock via phone key, but then door is still locked
  • Door takes a long time to unlock via phone key, but the profile / seat position takes several seconds to switch over
  • Seat heaters no longer heat up without weight in the seat - negating much of the value of heated seats (can't take the chill out of the seat before sitting in it on a cold day)
  • Profile shortcut and LTE etc were put back on top of the map, weren't they? Mine aren't there anymore.
If the next update changes my steering wheel, I'm going to sign up for the twitter and start exercising my right to free spee... err... text.

I really wish they would come up with a community driven method of improving the software. The current system is just not acceptable, and I'm about a bajillion percent sure that there are enough of us on these forums that would do a better job.

Reactions: Bennny
Upvote 0
Ya mine too, autopilot nag is every 5 or 10 seconds now. After a few of those is freaks out, goes red take control immediately without any blue nag warning. I grabbed the wheel but it still kept flashing red and yelling at me. I had to manually disengage Autopilot. Then AP jail. It makes AP unusable. The last time I tried it l I was actually holding the steering wheel (like we are suppose to) during the multiple blue nags and it still went instantly red after a few times.
My standard steering option still feels the same.

Uneducated guess here. Perhaps they reduced the stiffness to make sure user input is detected when AP is in use.

Wish I knew. I'm usually one of the first to get updates but for some reason, my car doesn't seem to want 12.3.1. Stuck on 8.3.

Mike

Run Mikey! Take your car off Skynet until the next update. Or install and report back. Too bad there's no poll on this thread.

Reactions: LVTD
Upvote 0
You'd think that the steering behavior is a "mature" part of the software that wouldn't get messed with, unlike the constant UI changes.

That is a pretty primary function and if they meant to change that, I'd think it would be in the release notes. My guess is they made some change to the power steering controller and it had a side effect of making it have more assist (and they didn't mean to do that).

Mike

Upvote 0
That is a pretty primary function and if they meant to change that, I'd think it would be in the release notes. My guess is they made some change to the power steering controller and it had a side effect of making it have more assist (and they didn't mean to do that).

Mike

"Oops, we accidentally changed all your steering wheels. We'll give you Pacman in the next release to make up for it".

What a joke. I'm going to snap the modem off.

• Funny
Reactions: Rmchrger
Upvote 0