Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sports mode steering feels significantly lighter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was out for 2 weeks and when I got back and started driving my model 3P, I could feel the steering wheel was not as heavy as before. My setting was in sports mode. Has anyone seen this behavior previously? Maybe worth mentioning my Tesla went through a software updates while I was gone, but nothing on the update log was about steering mode change.

High steering effort for the sake of high steering effort seems pointless. Quick response and feedback seem more important.

We‘ve been enjoying Netflix’s “Formula 1 : Drive To Survive“. I wonder how hard the steering is in F1 cars. Does anyone know?
It's heavy as the wheels are huge and the gforces get massive. That said they do have power assist. High effort is normal at low speeds but as you go faster effort drops. I dunno where this is going but I don't use power assist on my track car, a porsche turbo. The steering is heavy as hell at low speeds but as I mentioned it gets lighter the faster you go and it turns in like a knife.

Upvote 0
High steering effort for the sake of high steering effort seems pointless. Quick response and feedback seem more important.
Right. Before this I even used Standard mostly because it felt weighty enough for decent feel, the extra weight of the old Sport mode seemed unnecessary (but I was glad to have it as an option).

Now even Sport is too light for good feel in slow turns. I did a little twisty road run yesterday and the steering was so over-boosted in the slow/tight turns, even in Sport, I couldn't easily make out how loaded the front tires were. That's not sporty, and not good at all for pushing a car close to its limits.

Reactions: Mikecm1
Upvote 0
I agree, the more I have driven the car, its a little better but still not like old.
@Bigsakius I felt the same way actually, like 2022.12.3.2 is slightly better but still mostly like 2022.12.3.1 . Subtle enough that I wasn't sure if I felt a real change from .1 to .2 or just imagining it. So maybe they did firm it up slightly with .2 but not nearly enough.

Upvote 0
@Bigsakius I felt the same way actually, like 2022.12.3.2 is slightly better but still mostly like 2022.12.3.1 . Subtle enough that I wasn't sure if I felt a real change from .1 to .2 or just imagining it. So maybe they did firm it up slightly with .2 but not nearly enough.
Yea I’m not sure if .2 is maybe a little better or just placebo but they are both much worse than the original.

• Disagree
Reactions: anoone and lUtriaNt
Upvote 0
I was out for 2 weeks and when I got back and started driving my model 3P, I could feel the steering wheel was not as heavy as before. My setting was in sports mode. Has anyone seen this behavior previously? Maybe worth mentioning my Tesla went through a software updates while I was gone, but nothing on the update log was about steering mode change.
That surprises me, I'd have thought they'd have no assist due to wanting to save weight, maybe it's due to fatigue if racing without any assist.

Upvote 0
I just did about a 100 mile drive, from our E TN home down to N GA. Much of it was on twisty roads.

I will again say that, personally, the new “Sport” mode is right in my Goldilocks Zone - not too heavy, not too light, but just right. Before it was definitely too heavy for my tastes.

That said, since some clearly favored the old “Sport”, Tesla should have either…

1) Added a 4th button. Maybe “Race” or “SuperSport”, with the old, firmer feel.

Or,

2) Gotten rid of the buttons and changed the steering effort input screen to a dial or slider that would let a driver customize their feel anywhere from “Very Light” to “Very Heavy”. That would be my preference and should please everyone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
12.3.2 seems to make it feel much much better, though I don't not really know if it is like before.
@MountNTrumpet I think you're right, the more I drive .2 the more convinced I am it's somewhat improved from .1. But I don't think it's like before.

I haven't had a chance to drive any twisties since .2 though. That'll be the real test, if the weighting is enough for decent feel how of loaded the front tires are even in very tight low speed turns. I did one quick twisties run in .1 and it was pretty terrible in the slowest turns, even in Sport mode, and I'm someone who like @FastEddieB used to prefer Standard before these changes.

Here's the bad thing about .2 being partly better though...I think that means Tesla meant to mess with the steering weight. It was a deliberate change even though not mentioned in the release notes, and now they're recognizing they went too far, but they're not willing to just roll it back to how it was before.

Upvote 0
I just did about a 100 mile drive, from our E TN home down to N GA. Much of it was on twisty roads.

I will again say that, personally, the new “Sport” mode is right in my Goldilocks Zone - not too heavy, not too light, but just right. Before it was definitely too heavy for my tastes.

That said, since some clearly favored the old “Sport”, Tesla should have either…

1) Added a 4th button. Maybe “Race” or “SuperSport”, with the old, firmer feel.

Or,

2) Gotten rid of the buttons and changed the steering effort input screen to a dial or slider that would let a driver customize their feel anywhere from “Very Light” to “Very Heavy”. That would be my preference and should please everyone.
Perfect. Make that the "standard" mode. bring back the original "sport" mode.

Upvote 0
I finally drove my car again this weekend, so I’m reporting my experience with the tweaked steering.

Although I had received 2022.12.3.1 after 2022.8.3, I never drove my car until after receiving 2022.12.3.2.

Just finished a 70-mile drive with the steering in Sport mode. The assist at neighborhood speeds (0-30) is a lot more than 2022.8.x. The assist at intermediate speed (30-50) is somewhat more than 2022.8.x, but not as pronounced as the slower speeds. At highway speeds, it feels about the same as I remember.

I think instead of using a fixed amount of assist, the assist now varies with speed. While I find the “new” Sport mode to be acceptable, I prefer the old setup.

Still it’s crappy that Tesla would make changes like this without any mention of it in the release notes.

Upvote 0
Am I the only one noticing autopilot is oversteering more after 2022.12.3.2? I runs over the outside line on freeways most of the time. I find it unusable now.

I have not noticed that in my 2022 M3LR.

What I have noticed is that TACC is much, much better on 2 lane roads, with very few “phantom slowing” events due to oncoming traffic. It was virtually unusable as delivered, but is now fairly decent.

Upvote 0
I haven't gone thru all of the comments in this thread, so apologies if this has been covered - but I just drove our Model Y last night and the steering in our Model Y did not change with this software release. Sport mode is very firm, much like Sport mode in our Model 3 Performance prior to the recent software release. Personally, I really dislike the Model 3 steering post-release; it feels like I'm driving my dad's old Lexus.

Separately, I made an appointment at our local SC to fix the "broken" steering issue. The SC called a couple of hours later and told me they didn't have a fix and cancelled my appointment.

Upvote 0