Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sports mode steering feels significantly lighter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was out for 2 weeks and when I got back and started driving my model 3P, I could feel the steering wheel was not as heavy as before. My setting was in sports mode. Has anyone seen this behavior previously? Maybe worth mentioning my Tesla went through a software updates while I was gone, but nothing on the update log was about steering mode change.

My local SC said they'll raise the issue with engineering. They cancelled the service appointment itself as expected.

Please chime in if you've requested your SC to escalate this issue. I think we have a better chance of getting this fixed if we all speak up than if it's just me complaining to them!

Upvote 0
I think the new sport steering is amazing. I went from Standard to Sport now, as it's what I thought it should've been. Light, yet still firm on city streets, but very solid and heavy on highway! That's just me though, maybe I'm part of the minority. 🧐
@Chippin No I think you're part of the majority, because it's how the majority of power steering cars feel (plus many that are ridiculously light all the time).

Those of us who like the more natural weighting of manual steering probably gravitated to the Model 3 though for its different take on power assist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chippin
Upvote 0
I think the new sport steering is amazing. I went from Standard to Sport now, as it's what I thought it should've been. Light, yet still firm on city streets, but very solid and heavy on highway! That's just me though, maybe I'm part of the minority. 🧐
Nah, you enjoy what you enjoy. I am coming from a modified 2005 Vette and for me there is hit on what I like. Since the firmness or lack of it seems to be software modifiable maybe we will get lucky and there will be a choice for everybody.

Reactions: Chippin
Upvote 0
For me it's an unwelcome change. I think Tesla could be a hero if they just made these changes optional. By forcing it them on everyone, inevitably it will be a downgrade to at least some owners.

Can you imagine how infuriating it would be if Tesla downgraded your steering via OTA? That's what my experience is. Since this is only one of many recent downgrades, they're failing me pretty hard.

Upvote 0
Please please please keep the pressure on via your preferred service center (our only official means of giving feedback to Tesla engineering/corporate that I know of).

Don't nag them every day and make them annoyed at you of course, but let's all keep checking in with them every few days or so to emphasize this is a serious regression in the car and we do expect engineering to respond to the issue & ultimately fix it.

Upvote 0
So I laughed at the SpongeBob meme, but I've noticed the sport steering IS less stiff after an update to 2022.12.3.1 last night. In both M3s I've had, I've always kept the steering in sport.

I played with the settings for a bit and even tried the comfort steering which feels like spinning a wheel on a boat lol. I liked the original stiffness since it felt more solid and tight through corners like a proper sports sedan should. It's not a huge change though and I wonder if this alleviates any points of failure for Tesla.
A true sports car has very easy steering to aid in quick reaction on the road.

Upvote 0
A true sports car has very easy steering to aid in quick reaction on the road.

What does "easy" mean in this context? I feel like it was *very* easy before, and gave a great feeling of control because the vehicle went where the wheel moved. Now, I can wiggle the wheel back and forth without the car moving. The relationship between steering and the wheel feels broken, so I actually feel like I've lost a good deal of control. It feels sloppy.

I'm sure I'm overstating the problem out of frustration. The wheel still steers, I just feel like someone should require my permission before making changes to how my vehicle operates. This isn't the car I purchased.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
High steering effort for the sake of high steering effort seems pointless. Quick response and feedback seem more important.

We‘ve been enjoying Netflix’s “Formula 1 : Drive To Survive“. I wonder how hard the steering is in F1 cars. Does anyone know?

That's a binge worthy show!

Well I don't think anyone here wants a steering wheel they can barely move lol. A nice weight gives it a feeling of precision and control. What if all the options were 30% lighter in the next update? I'm glad the steering still feels solid at higher speeds at least.

Upvote 0
High steering effort for the sake of high steering effort seems pointless. Quick response and feedback seem more important.

We‘ve been enjoying Netflix’s “Formula 1 : Drive To Survive“. I wonder how hard the steering is in F1 cars. Does anyone know?
The F1 is very hard. Very very hard because they do not have the room to spin the wheel. So every degree of steering wheels amounts to a big change in direction

Upvote 0
What does "easy" mean in this context? I feel like it was *very* easy before, and gave a great feeling of control because the vehicle went where the wheel moved. Now, I can wiggle the wheel back and forth without the car moving. The relationship between steering and the wheel feels broken, so I actually feel like I've lost a good deal of control. It feels sloppy.

I'm sure I'm overstating the problem out of frustration. The wheel still steers, I just feel like someone should require my permission before making changes to how my vehicle operates. This isn't the car I purchased.
Easy means it spins with very little effort.

Upvote 0